Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeanie

Does acne definitely cause SCARS?

Hi everyone,

I'm 21, into my 3rd month of accutane. I didn't pick, probably the only thing I did was to rub gently and the hardened white things would fall off . They were huge big bits!!

Now, my face feels smooth (no more painful bumps), but there're red scars where all the painful acne used to be.

And I do think I might have those orange-peel scars.. (just so worried sad.gif especially when a few colleagues said coz my acne was "deep", it's likely to leave such scars/marks. They said, cystic acne would definitely cause hole scars.

Some said, since I didn't pick, should be fine!

I'm paranoid going crazy.

My red scars look like "shallow holes", but coz they're red, I can't really really tell.

I went on Accutane almost immediately when the whiteheads/zits were turning redder and spreading (a week after a facial).

What do u think are my chances of getting such marks..?appreciate it.. unsure.gif

Is it ok if I do Smoothbeam 2 mths later? I used to do it when I had a few ice-pick scars and it did work well for me.

bb_eusa_boohoo.gif

It varies from person to person. Some people are more prone to scarring than others. Severe cystic acne tends to scar. It's best to keep your hands off your face except for when you are washing or applying topicals.

I have read that you need to wait at least 6 months to a year after Accutane until you can start any scar treatments. This is because the skin may be fragile when you are on Accutane.

Only time will tell if these red marks will leave scars, keep doing what you're doing and do not squeeze the cysts under any circumstance. I know it's hard but you must leave them alone. I'm not sure if you can take Vitamin C supplements or Zinc supplements while you're on accutane? This might help in the healing process in the early stages.

On accutane your skin becomes very sensitive and takes a lot longer to heal. Do not do any scar treatments for up to 6 months or a year after finishing your accutane course if you do indeed get any indentations.

Hope this helps.

hi tamara,bern

thanks .. just so depressed. My acne covered my cheeks up to the jawline (it all happened SUDDENLY).. and the red scars look like shallow craters.

bb_sad.gifbb_sad.gifbb_sad.gifbb_sad.gif

sometimes my redmarks look like shallow holes in a certain lighting. it might be just the way the coloration is though. at least, that's what my bf keeps telling me to cheer me up. man, if every red mark i had was a scar. i'd just have to die. let me know how your skin turns out, okay? i'll let you know about mine also. ps: i have a picture gallery if you want to check it out. the link is in my signature.

hi noggin

i guess we share the same problem.. feel free to PM me anytime.. by the way, I'm from Singapore. wink.gif

I'll commit suicide if all my red scars turn into craters too.

bb_eusa_wall.gifbb_icon_redface.gifbb_icon_cry.gifbb_doubt.gif

PS: u look great! nice dreamy eyes. and wonderful nose. bb_razz.gif I have more red scars than u, they're like blotchy blusher all over my cheeks.. bb_eusa_shifty.gif

will u consider Smoothbeam?

Nope, i'm not considering anything. I'm just going to see what happens within the next year. Let them fade naturally, and if that doesn't work and there are still some stubborn redmarks i will try a glycolic acid peel or something. Lasers scare me, and dermabrasion sounds...painful...ouchie.

Oh well, take it easy dude. Only time will tell if you'll have scars. As long as you don't pick the zits and try to control your acne (as you do), I suggest you not to think more about any potential scars that you may get in future.

I think I have a way of judging whether a red mask is a scar or not.

Use a board that is black and flat and has reflection(one recommendation: use a dvd hard cover which is black) as a mirror. Under very strong lights, if the reflection of your skin looks smooth, then probably there won't be scars left over when the red masks are gone. but make sure you don't have inflammation as well.

my redmarks make me look like i have ten thousand holes poked into my face. is this normal? usually people have blotchy red marks. mine are all sepereated and ugly looking.

if they're hole-like and depressed, rather than just discoloration, it sounds like it may be ice-pick scarring.

hi

shriek, ur idea sounds good. But no guts to do it. noggin, r u brave enough to try it..?

Ice-pick scars are more like enlarged deep pores rite..?

bad news..there're a couple of new bumps on my face (think new zits?)..i'm scared. sad.gif

sigh. I come from a place where flawless skin is prevalent on the streets. I feel like wearing a Shrek mask out.

don't worry, lots of women wear makeup. nobody has flawless skin naturally, well maybe 2% of the population.

icepick scars arent enlarged pores, they're more like shallow or deep little holes in your skin from acne where the tissue is damaged.

oh..thanks sux0rz. I read in another thread that they use vinegar to wash their faces and it works good.. have u tried..?

nooo that sounds silly. i just use cetaphil. in fact i think every dermatologist just recommends cetaphil. have you seen a skin doctor?

yah I wouldn't have believed it till I read it.. and traditional methods do work sometimes. (I'm a chinese, and the older generation has their own traditional stuff too, I had a friend who drank seahorse soup to cure her adolescent acne and she has wonderful skin now).

maybe u can read Maya's thread :over here

Yup doc gave me something else to wash the face with. For extremely dry skins.

But I use my normal foaming cleanser though.

Did u have any cream..?