Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FutureScarless

The TRUTH on scar treatments!

Please read // watch if you're considering any of these procedures.

I thought this link would be beneficial to some others [particularly n00bz ;)] in understanding some of the scar treatments available and its potential side effects. Especially those that come with laser resurfacing.

TOO many times have I been to a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon about laser resurfacing for my scars in the past and have them say things like, "You'll be perfect by day 5!" "Your scars will go unnoticed!" I guess they assume I'm gullible or unintelligent because I'm young and have not had any type of surgery done.

You have to understand that most of them just want your money and could care less about how you recover. It's the sad truth.OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND. It's almost impossible to sue a doctor on cosmetic complications and they know that.

-I find it refreshing that this plastic and reconstructive surgeon explains the TRUTH on potential side effects [including FAT LOSS I've read people reporting], healing, swelling, results etc. at: garthfisher.com

*Go to 'NAKED TRUTH', 'VOL 1', Scroll down on the side to 'Chapter 8--Dermabrasion' or whichever procedure you'd like to hear about. Please also listen to 'Conclusion & Credits' because a lady also explains how to choose the right physician.Heads up, these are videos.

I hope this isn't ignored and is helpful to someone.

Edited by FutureScarless

I relate to your story identically. I went to get Fraxel repair for my scars about a year ago and the appointment seemed great. The Dermatologist said I would recover in 2 weeks to go back to work and I would see a 60% improvement with a couple of treatments. Before going under the laser, I had a big warning sign but i ignored it, the papers i had to sign for medical reasons and such had a front page that showed what the procedure was for. There was 20 checkboxes and none of them said Acne. I had to mark Other. If this was truly beneficial for Acne why not have it as one of the top choices? I refused to believe it at the moment because i thought the doctor was being honest with me. 1 year later. Face is the same way and i have a very light pinkish shade where the procedure was done(cheeks).

Guest Timehealsall

yep.

I bet this applies to dermatologists as well (who prescribe topicals)

yep.

I bet this applies to dermatologists as well (who prescribe topicals)

no, it would not apply as much to prescription topicals. There is no huge margin on prescribing topicals to a patient like there are from selling an in-house treatment. Any margin on prescription topical goes to the pharmacy where you buy it.

If a derm is looking for the big margins, he or she will push his or her own skin care line, topicals sold out of the office, or procedures, not prescription topicals.

Fraxel and laser will do nothing - it is so unethical to push. Usually people will require dermabrasion buy someone skilled like where I had it done. I really had the most experienced - he has done thousands. Also other treatments like micro silicone droplet injections are usually needed. Many derms are not confident enough to do combo treatments and this is usually exactly what is needed. in addition a strong acne skin care line.