Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buzzraham

Success with low dosage of Spironolactone?

My daughter just started taking 25mg of Spiro daily for her hormonal acne. I would really like to keep her on the lowest effective dose possible. It seems that almost everyone I read about on this board started on 25mg and then stepped up about 25mg every couple of weeks. My question is this...If it takes a few months to be effective, why isn't everyone waiting at least that long before they increase their dosage?

I would love to hear from people who have had good results with just 25mg per day, and how long it took to work.

(Background info: She went on ortho-tricyclen and Yaz, and had great results with her facial and body acne, but had to stop taking bc pills because of migraine headaches and vision impairment as well as a tremendous increase in appetite [not to mention the appearance of never-before-seen cellulite]. She is panicking now because she is starting to get a few zits for the first time since going off the bc pills.)

How long should I wait and how bad should I let her acne get before talking to the doc about upping her medication? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I've heard of people who may have had success with as low as 50-75 even though they usually recommend 100-200 mg. If it gets worse and your daughter starts getting really upset, I would call the doctor's office and ask their advice. I had a doctor prescribe me spiro, I haven't started taking it yet, but from what I see on MyChart on-line, it looks like they only prescribed 25 mg and told me to come back in 3 months so it doesn't look like they were planning on increasing the dosage for me for a few months. I'm very petite though.

My daughter just started taking 25mg of Spiro daily for her hormonal acne. I would really like to keep her on the lowest effective dose possible. It seems that almost everyone I read about on this board started on 25mg and then stepped up about 25mg every couple of weeks. My question is this...If it takes a few months to be effective, why isn't everyone waiting at least that long before they increase their dosage?

I would love to hear from people who have had good results with just 25mg per day, and how long it took to work.

(Background info: She went on ortho-tricyclen and Yaz, and had great results with her facial and body acne, but had to stop taking bc pills because of migraine headaches and vision impairment as well as a tremendous increase in appetite [not to mention the appearance of never-before-seen cellulite]. She is panicking now because she is starting to get a few zits for the first time since going off the bc pills.)

How long should I wait and how bad should I let her acne get before talking to the doc about upping her medication? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So nice to see another mom on here who seems to be as concerned as I have been about her daughter's acne. I makes me feel less freaky :) DD got started on 25 mgs and then doc increased it to 50 mgs. ever since. She sometimes take more but likes to keep it as low as possible due to fatigue and impossible thirst and concerns for her kidneys. It has worked well along with Yaz. If not taking Yaz then I think 75 mgs might be more in-line with results. But you will just have to see how she does with low dose. If it works, then fabulous!! How long was she on the pill and when did she come off? When DD came off the pill, it took 4 months for her face to explode. Not fun poor baby. Some people seem to have success weaning off the pill. I will definately suggest that next time. I also think that short-term antibiotics can get one over a rough patch. I'm also a big fan of peels and laser treatments.