Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpmegetclear

Horrible initial breakout from BC. How long should I stick it out for?

been on it for 1.5 months. painful, persistent, cystic outbreaks.

have been on multiple antibiotics/topicals in past.

considering ACCUTANE.

have a derm appt may 23rd. should i tell her to start me on accutane? (if my skin isnt better from this BC?)

kinda want to anyway since you get long terms results.

THOUGHTS? EXPERIENCES?

help meeeeeeeee. i cant leave my house im isolating myself...its horrible on my lifeeee. i want to be clear by the end of august when college starts.

I already told you on the other thread you started...

At least 3 months.

I assume you're looking for more than one person's advice, though, so I'm posting to bump it for you. :)

What kind of birth control? I am not one to stick it out too long, I scar badly from cystic pimples. i recommend mircette, yaz, or ortho tri for hormonal acne. Read my first post for more info. I don't post here a lot but I explained how this stuff works once.

If you think it's worse, than stop. Period. My derm wanted me to try various bcp's, and to be honest, I think it just makes the problem worse. But the post above is correct. 3 months to regulate you. Tho, everyone is different and not all bcp that are used to "treat" acne are effective for everyone. If you feel it's getting worse, than stop taking it.

If you think it's worse, than stop. Period. My derm wanted me to try various bcp's, and to be honest, I think it just makes the problem worse. But the post above is correct. 3 months to regulate you. Tho, everyone is different and not all bcp that are used to "treat" acne are effective for everyone. If you feel it's getting worse, than stop taking it.

Usually with any acne treatment (BCP included) it will get worse before it gets better. So I don't know that quitting if it gets worse is exactly the best advice. If that were the rule-of-thumb then acne treatments would never really work. There is an IB period for pretty much every acne treatment.

It can take a pretty long time on the pill. It took me about 6 months to see significant results with Diane, so I wouldn't advise quitting too early.