Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi - I'd like to know who on here has experimented with mineral make-up. I'd like to know where you buy yours or where you won't buy yours. I'd like to know where you get your brushes, what they cost and any other tips and tricks.

I recently discovered this and got some samples from one place. I like it so far and it covers suprisingly well. I've been using a good foundation that is sold at a local salon where they customize the color to your skin. It's a good one and doesn't seem to break me out - but I think I like the mineral foundation even better.

Thanks!

looking, you can get a lot of the products on ebay at good prices. I've tried Monave, Sheer Cover and Bare Essentials. I've seen lots of posts on here saying Aromaleigh is priced best but I never tried it. I liked them but have recently changed to Revlon oil-free colorstay. Good Luck!

Yeah, I've tried Bare Escentials mineral make-up. The coverage was good. It tends to look a little heavy because the color isn't an exact match and you have to keep touching it up. I stopped using it, however, once I noticed it rubs off very easily. It's never attractive to leave beige streaks of make-up on your boyfriend's shirts. I am still on the hunt for the perfect make-up.

Hi looking:

I just posted on mineral makeup in another thread, but I can help ya! I'm a mineral makeup ho. wink.gif I've tried quite a few brands and love mineral makeup so much that I visit message boards on Delphi Forums about it (Bare Escentuals Addicts, Mineral Makeup Mania, and Mineral Makeup Talk). (May sound nuts, but I've gotten some great info there and the women there are helpful & funny...plus the mineral makeup company owners participate there and help you with product concerns.) I had so many problems with liquid and regular powder foundations clogging my pores and making me look like I had a rubber mask on my face, and after I tried minerals, I will never go back.

Here's what I posted on the other thread about brands I love:

---For really great mineral foundation that will wear through sweat, heat, hurricane, tornado, you name it, try Alpha Skin Care. This stuff has really great coverage and is even waterproof (so you can swim in it if you pat your face dry gently with a towel), but it looks great. You can get samples of the foundations and if you get $10 worth, shipping is free. The owner, Jenya, is really great and loves what she does. She's also worked with a group of members on Mineral Makeup Mania to develop a lighter coverage foundation and new colors, so she's receptive to what customers would like to see.

Also, Cory Cosmetics has great coverage and wears really nicely, too. This company has super cheap samples ($0.35 each) so you can try out a lot of foundation shades or anything else you may like. I've heard Cory's foundations run a little light, so you might want to go one shade darker than you think you'd need, but considering the price of samples, you can get a whole bunch you think might be good and it won't set you back. (Her blush colors are gorgeous, too!)---

I like Bare Escentuals and have lots of their stuff, but the foundation coverage left a little to be desired, in my opinion. That's when I discovered the other brands out there. There's one that I really love, Botany 101, run by Cat Freeman, that offers regular foundation that has a unique creamy feel to it (it has Vitamin E in it) but offers great coverage, and there's a Stay Matte formulation for people with oily skin that may cause foundation to separate or get too shiny during the day. Some of the people that have offered reviews on Botany 101's products say that Stay Matte is the only foundation that keeps them shine-free all day. One warning: Cat is pretty much a one-woman show and has a large backorder for her stuff. If you want to try it, either check out the Botany 101 forum on Delphi, introduce yourself, and ask for samples from the ladies there, or order samples direct from Cat and be prepared to wait about 2 to 3 months. Yep. You read it right. But that's how good and in-demand her stuff is. Her blushes are to die for. And she makes mineral eyeshadows called Comets...well, take a look at the site and you'll see.

Some other brands to check out: Kathy Duncan's Colorlab minerals. She has great customer service and is very helpful if you need color suggestions. A lot of the ladies on the Mineral Makeup Mania site love her stuff. There's also Evan's Garden (a lighter coverage foundation & other products), Geografx (medium coverage, I would say, for the foundation), and Monave (not sure about the coverage).

For brushes, a kabuki brush or a flat-top Taklon is probably best for applying minerals. You want something soft but that doesn't have a whole lot of "give." You want it firm enough to be able to blend and push the color onto the skin but not harsh when you buff it on your face. A site that has some good brushes cheap is Crown Brush. The Pro Series on that site is a good place to start (under Cosmetic Brushes).

For more expensive brushes, I've heard Cat Cosmetics, MAC, and Stila offer great all-around brushes. For kabukis, Bare Escentuals' one is good, and I hear Bobbi Brown and Cat Cosmetics make good kabukis. Bare Escentuals' regular brushes are nice. Very soft and often nicely priced on Ebay.

This is gettin' rather long-winded, so I'll just wrap it up. If you have other questions, just ask. I do recommend going to www.delphiforums.com and searching for the mineral makeup forums I mentioned. Lots of good information there, and if you decide to join in and post, the ladies there are terrific.

Hope that helps!

~Kat

Guest Scorpioness

Kat,

You didn't mention Jane Iredale, Illuminare, Youngblood, Canary or Aromaleigh! wink.gif

Those are the ones I've tried (though now I want to try Alpha and Cory).

Here is how I rate them:

Jane Iredale: decent coverage, way too shiny.

Youngblood: My favorite. Much more matte than Jane Iredale and sets well under rice powder.

Illuminare: Great... I use the extra coverage over a light dusting of the Youngblood. It's a liquid mineral concealor and blends perfectly with the powdered minerals. It can become mask like when using too much, so the trick is use a little, and apply it heavier where more coverage is needed. I like the Youngblood under it and in the creases around the nose and under the eyes. The Illuminare does not work well on those areas of the face.

Aromaleigh: A lot of people like this, but I don't it's way too dry and chalky and doesn't give good coverage at all.

Canary: Does not cover well on it's own. It's dry, but light... not chalky like Aromaleigh. On days or nights when I need heavier coverage, I use a layer of Canary over the rest of my makeup as a finishing powder, but then still use the rice powder on top of that. The Canary is pretty natural looking.

Forgot to mention those. tongue.gif Although I love mineral makeup, I haven't tried lines that I don't think will work based on reviews I've seen (I can't use light coverage foundations) or are a bit out of my price range. I've heard Youngblood is very nice, but the foundation is into the $30 range, and that's a little pricey for me.

This page on Makeup Artist's Choice, which sells Youngblood, has before and after shots that, if they haven't been airbrushed, are pretty good testimonials to how well it covers & how natural it wears.

Aromaleigh is probably better for blushes or eye colors, because I've heard the same thing as you said, Vixen, from others who've used it (although some like it because you can adjust the coverage with 2 types of foundations, Pure Powder--lighter--and Pure Cover--heavier, and the prices for the amount you get are reasonable.

I just thought of a few other mineral makeup companies, although I haven't tried them, so a little investigative work might be in order bb_icon_mrgreen.gif :

Colors of Paradise Hawaii

La Bella Donna

Raesin Images (she used to sell on Ebay and recently opened up her web store. So far, I hear good stuff about everything she offers, including foundation, and her prices are very reasonable)

I've gotten samples from the company below--love the Dalia blush, Just Violet Multi Purpose powder, and Alyssa Multi Purpose powder:

bareFaced Minerals (the creator of this line is a mineral makeup ho like me, and she's a sweetie. Her eye and blush colors are terrific & nicely priced. Haven't tried the foundations yet, but she's still in the process of adding colors and building up the store.)

What's good to know is that many mineral companies offer a nice amount of product for a great price.

I started with Bare Escentuals, and their largest jar is a 9 gram/0.3 oz jar with a sifter lid. The foundation is normally about $25.00 retail in that size. I thought that was as much as you could get in the mineral world. Nope.

For example, Cory's foundations are 3 oz. for $12.99. That's like 3 times the product BE offers for about half the price. Alpha Skin Care's foundations are 10 grams net weight (it's 30 grams with the jar and sifter lid) for $18.00. More product than BE for less $$$ (and better coverage I might add...her minerals you can literally use crumbs for your whole face...if you try it, you'll notice how it sticks to your brush--it's best to use a very light hand with Alpha). So sizes and prices vary, and if you can get a better product and more of it for less money, it's worth sampling around a bit.

Vixen: I hope you try Alpha and Cory. I just ordered samples of Cory foundation to see how I like the coverage, but I love her finalizer powders. And Alpha just kicks ass. cool.gif I'll be curious to see how you like them if you decide to try 'em out.

~Kat

Ok, here's a question.........Jane Iredale showed off my large pores and ice picks in a way no other foundation has EVER done. So, which of these mineral makeups can actually minimize instead of emphasize? huh.gif

I like the idea of mineral makeup, but when the results were so terrible for me with the one, I would love to know if anyone has found one that can help with the above situation. smile.gif

smiling: the mineral foundations with less coverage will probably do that. I am in no way scar free (unfortunately), and I have a couple to several of each type of scar along my cheekbones and jawline. bb_icon_cry.gif They're probably only noticeable to me with my ubercritical eye, but I have been using my makeup to camouflage and "fill in" any indentations. You need one of the heavier coverage foundations and a good brush to do this.

I recommend Alpha Skin Care, Botany, or Cory foundation. They're all moderate to heavy coverage but don't have a cakey appearance when buffed into the skin nicely. (Actually, some of the companies I mentioned in my earlier post have mineral cream concealers that they offer, and although I haven't tried any yet, I am getting a sample of a cream concealer from Kathy Duncan's company, Colorlab, that isn't entirely mineral, but I checked the ingredients against my "safe" lists, and all of the ingredients are okay for acne-prone skin. A cream, I think, might fill in any small shallow icepicks a little better than powder, but I can report back on whether that's true. And I'll be thrilled if it is.)

For brushes, to conceal and get the minerals precisely where I want them, I use a stiff small brush from Bare Escentuals. It's an eyeshadow brush, but it's the perfect size and it's firm enough to push that color where I need it. For overall face application, I would recommend a kabuki or a flat-top taklon brush. Garden Botanika still has their flat-top taklon face brush on clearance for only $0.99 (while they last!). This brush has about a 1-inch head, and it's firm yet soft, so you can push the color onto your face and buff it on well so it blends nicely.

Now, hang in with me here... smile.gif although the Alpha, Botany, and Cory all have great coverage, you might still see the indentations from any scars after doing a full-face application. What I do in the first step of my makeup application is, and you have a couple options with this method, I mix a bit of my makeup primer, which is currently a silky gel-like lotion called Velvet Veil, available at Makeup Artist's Choice, with a bit of my foundation (any brand is probably okay with this, but I wouldn't recommend Alpha for this type of concealing) in a slightly lighter shade than my skin. It's almost like mixing up paint to apply to canvas. tongue.gif You want it to have more density than the minerals alone. Then I use my firm eyeshadow brush and my thicker foundation mixture to fill in any enlarged pores or scars. I go over this lightly with my kabuki to smooth & even it out a tad. Then I move on with applying my regular skin tone foundation to go over the concealer.

Some people mix their concealing minerals with Aloe Vera Gel. Some mix it with a moisturizer so it goes into the pores and blends easier. Or, like I'm going to do, try out a cream concealer from Colorlab or any mineral co. that offers it and see if that will fill in what you don't want others to see. I use the makeup primer, and I am going to see if Smashbox's Photo Finish is workable for my method, because it does thicken the minerals but keeps them soft and blendable. It's personal preference, and yes, it takes a little extra time, but I have never broken out from any mineral foundation, and no matter what technique I use, any imperfections are only noticeable if you get right up on me with a magnifying glass and I look as though I just wear blush and eye makeup and no foundation. At least I think so. bb_wink.gif

I hope I've helped out. I can let you know my results with Kathy Duncan's cream concealer when I receive the sample. Hopefully it's thick enough to do what I hope it will do and not look cakey. I've heard good things about it for undereye circles and that mineral foundation goes over it easily. We'll see!

~Kat

Guest Scorpioness

Hi Ladies!

I ordered the samples from Alpha and Cory yesterday. I just couldn't resist, thanks Kat. bb_wink.gif

I use the Capri brush to apply my minerals all over. It's round with a flat surface. I got it on the makeupartistschoice.com website. It works better than any brush I've used, even the Kabuki, because the minerals go on really evenly with that brush. Then, I use the taklon brush or a small eyeshadow brush (preferred) for spot concealing.

The minerals won't cover indents, however, they look better on me than using a liquid, especially with Illuminare extra coverage concealor over it. I love that stuff.

Red Head... you provide some really great links! Keep up the good work! biggrin.gif

By the way, I'm with you on the Aromaleigh blushes. I LOVE them. The pure cover (foundation) doesn't really cover well for me though... bb_icon_confused.gif

I hope you like your samples, Vixen! I'm glad I could offer some recommendations! I'm dying to get my Cory samples and try 'em out...I never know when I'm gonna find a new brand to help me impoverish myself. bb_lol.gif

Do use a light hand applying that Alpha and build up, though. It's really a unique type of foundation in my experience using minerals...hard to explain, but it just sticks a lot better to skin and doesn't require a whole lot of effort or product to get coverage. I imagine a full size of her foundation could last me a year, or maybe more.

I'm happy to throw out any links I can and help people find things the easy way. bb_icon_mrgreen.gif

~Kat

Guest Scorpioness

Kat... normally I use a moisturizer underneath the minerals to get them to stick to the skin. Most moisturizers make the mineral makeup bunch up or go on unevenly, but Kinerase actually makes it go on smooth and nice. My question is, is the Alpha makeup different in the sense that it sticks to the skin without a moisturizer or primer underneath? I suppose I can experiment, but I won't have a lot to experiment with having only ordered a few samples. So, advice would be nice. wink.gif

Thanks again, you are great!

Thanks Redhedgrl.......it sounds like a real art to get this right though! I'm so heavyhanded with painting (anything!) that I'm not sure if I can get this method to work for me. I will try though......thanks for going into so much detail on it!

Vixen: I would say that unless you have very dry skin, Alpha should stick better than any other mineral out there. There's been times when I've done my makeup with just a "bare canvas" in the mornings if I have to run to the store and don't feel like washing my face and doing my whole routine with lotions and crap until I come back, and although the minerals can have a slightly different look on skin that isn't primed, they always seem to stick for me. And I think that went for Bare Escentuals as well as Botany and Alpha.

But Alpha, because it sticks better and you need less to get good coverage, is a little less "movable" than other mineral foundations. In other words, once it's on, it's not like other foundations I've tried in that you can "buff them down" or just blend lightly to lighten them if you've overdone it. It's best with Alpha to go as light as you can and add on if you need it. I was a little intimidated by that when the members of the mineral forum on Delphi were saying it, but I found that once I got my samples & just used Alpha conservatively at first, I had no problems getting the coverage and look I wanted. I mostly use it as a concealer right now because I only have the sample sizes, but the samples have lasted me over a month. I need only a pinch on my brush to do concealing on one whole side of my face. That's how little you need to use to get coverage. So your samples, Vixen, might last a couple weeks before you would have to decide on a full size if you like it.

And don't hesitate to let Jenya, the owner, know if you need color tweaking help. She had fewer colors than she currently has before, and some of the newer ones, like Radiance, Banana Tan, and Sun Gold, were colors she created at the request of customers who tested her lighter version foundation.

Before Jenya created Radiance, which is just about perfect for me, I had to tweak my color a bit, so if you need color help, I might be able to help out, too. smile.gif

~Kat

smiling: it might take some tweaking and experimenting, but the best thing to do is go light on the coverage and work your way up. If you underdo it, you can always add more. I do sometimes feel like Van Gogh, adding a pinch of a lighter color to tweak my foundation, or mixing two colors together to get a new one. And there are so many gorgeous colors in mineral makeup that I find myself buying more even if I tell myself I don't need 'em. I wear colors in minerals that I would never have tried in a drugstore brand.

But makeup was really a chore before I found minerals. I would just swipe that liquid all over my face, it would look like shit, I'd go over it with my powder, and it would look fake, and chalky, and even more like shit. Now, if any of my makeup is too dark or too light, there's an easy fix. You can blend or tone down really easily. And many mineral lines have finalizer powders that smooth out your final look, some have shimmer powders or dusting powders that add a subtle glow and can be used to tone down a too-dark or overdone blush. Minerals are a lot more forgiving and easy to work with, in my opinion, than any other makeup. And you can apply them any way you want to. You can use brushes, some people use a flocked sponge, some people mix it with moisturizer and apply with their fingers...it's up to you. But I hope you find that it works for you. I realize that even though I love it, it may not be for all people, but I hate to see anyone dealing with what I did with liquid and powder. And then I'd be breaking out and wondering why. I was stuffing my pores with crap.

Alright, I'll shut up now. smile.gif But I'm happy to offer details and any advice I can. I hope I've helped out!

~Kat

Guest Scorpioness

Girl I feel you on the mixing. I'm constantly mixing the blushes down with the foundation or coquille finishing powders to get new shades, and same with the foundations. The only time I can't get my color right by mixing two or more together is when I have no natural lighting to judge with (I am thinking about getting full spectrum bulbs though). I agree with you about minerals and I can't see myself going back to a liquid either. I have tried a few times with different liquids that have been highly recommended and have hated them.

I appreciate all of your suggestions. The Alpha makeup should be interesting to try. Thanks!! biggrin.gif

Guest Scorpioness

UPDATE:

I've tried the Alpha and the Cory.

The Alpha doesn't impress me that much. I mean it's okay, but I don't like the way it looks on. I think I need to try it again and give it another chance though.

I LOVE the Cory more than even my Youngblood, because it is less expensive. But it goes on very similar to the Youngblood. I LOVE the yellow/green concealer from Cory! I dust a layer of this on, then I dust on the shade 'creamy peach' and finish with a little Palladio rice powder, and I don't even need to use my Illuminare liquid concealer over it... because the coverage I get is plenty.

Hi ladies!

I was searching google to see where my listing is in the ranks and found your board!

I am the owner of bareFaced Mineral Cosmetics and would like to invite you to visit my website at

bareFaced Mineral Cosmetics

I do custom blending for foundations and I know you'll love my products!

With Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as major ingredients, your skin is going to love you smile.gif

Got some great new blush shades available as well as an October Special that is going on NOW!

Enjoy!

Rhonda

www.barefacedminerals.com eusa_dance.gif

I recently started using mineral make-up and have mostly had a positive experience. But I've got a lot of red marks and usually need to touch up in the afternoon. I find if I just brush more stuff on it makes me look bit cakey. I think part of the problem is that my skin is dry now (Accutane really shut down my oil glands) and so the make-up doesn't "sink in" enough. Maybe? Any advice? I've been using the velvet veil stuff as a primer in the morning, with the Illuminaire liquid make-up as a concealer and then the Youngblood powder and rice powder. In the afternoon, I've been trying to touch up only with the powders.

biggrin.gif

I have been using mineral makeup for a year and a half now. I have tried a few different brands and I have a favorite that no one has mentioned. I first had started with Bare Escentuals but I had always wanted to try some of the other brands. I wanted to try the products that had different amounts of the mica in them. Mica can cause already oily skin to look too shiny and not at all natural like mineral makeup is supposed to look.

Cory is one I have tried and it was ok as far as mineral makeup goes. The price is great and the ingredients are few which is always good for the skin. Bare Escentuals is ok but I was not thrilled with the amount of mica and the added ingredients in the Mineral Veil is not mentioned in the informercial! I have tried Bare Minerals and that one has good coverage and the price is great also. My favorite thus far has been one I just recently tried called Mineral Secrets. It is the best on coverage by far! I was shocked by how great the coverage is with this makeup! The foundation is mica free which I like because there is not the shiny look and feel as with some of the other foundations.

Mineral Secrets is the only one I have used that is truely long wearing. Most of them claim to be virtually water proof but they fail miserably in that department. Mineral Secrets is by far the best in the water proof category. The second day I used it the temperature outside was 104 degrees and the makeup stayed on through perspiration, and splashing cold water on my face. Mineral Secrets can be used both wet or dry and the coverage is amazing no matter which way you choose to use it.

I would love to try Bare Faced Minerals and I know I will be purchasing some samples to try out the products. It all depends on what you are looking for in a mineral makeup as which brand will work the best for you. If you have oily skin that tends to be very shiny you may want to try a product without the mica or with a lower amount of mica. Mineral Secrets feels very silky and it is amazingly sheer. It is obvious that it is great for coverage and staying on the skin when you first see it. The minerals cling to the makeup brush or the flocked makeup applicator even when it is held upside down. None of the other makeups I have tested have done this. I am unsure about those that I have yet to use but will update as I test more mineral makeup lines.

I do hope that all of the information that everyone has given has helped you out some. I do suggest trying several different brands before deciding to stick with just one brand. There are several great ones I am sure and they all may offer something that you want or need in a makeup. I now use mostly Mineral Secrets but I do use a combination of a few brands including Cory and Bare Minerals. I no longer use Bare Escentuals and I doubt I will ever use it again. I look forward to trying some of the brands that I have read about here. I have enjoyed reading all of the information here and look foward to seeing more.

Gemini

I use to wear MAC and Prescriptives, but then it aggravated my skin. I have btw, severe cystic acne, and rosacea-like redness. The makeup that has worked for me is a mineral make-up brand called "ColorLab Cosmetics". This company sells a blending kit to private beauty salons and will add the salon's name and logo to the packaging. I go to 2 places not too far from where I live to buy it. It is expensive ($45 for 10 gr) but it does lasts a long time. (I use it everyday!) Plus, I have dark brown skin and it is difficult for me to find make-up that really matches my skin tone. It does not make my skin break out and does a pretty good job of removing the redness, all without the "cake" effect. It is not perfect, but it is the best I have found so far.

http://www.caramiamakeup.com

They also sell GloMinerals which is also considered safe for people with problem skin.

http://www.gauthierspa.com/index.htm

To find a salon near you that carries it, you'll have to call Colorlab Cosmetics at 1-800-790-2417. Or just go to http://www.colorlabcosmetics.com

The upside:

1- The color is custom blended to your skin tone.

2- If you have oily skin (I do), they add a mineral to help relieve that.

3- Has natural SPF protecting qualities.

4- You don't use much so it lasts for several months.

The downside:

1- Expensive.

2. You must go to private salon/boutique to buy it.

3- Better make sure that the person blending it knows how to match it to your skin tone.

I hope this helps. While I'm here, may I suggest reading "Acne Messages" by Naweko San- Joyz. You can find it on Amazon.com

PS- I don't make a cent off any of these companies!

Hi,

I really like mineral makeup and I've had the best luck with canary cosmetics. I think it's cuz there product is so simple. Just a few ingredients and no preservatives. When I first tried mineral makeup I had one with something called bismuth oxychloride that really made my face break out. I almost gave up, but a friend told me about canary's website. They've got a lot of colors, and some really cool colored lip balms that I use instead of lipstick.

XO,

Rachel