Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smack'd

Good and bad oils for acne

What are some good and bad cooking, or any kind, of oils for acne? I know vegeatble oil is filled with soy, so it's bad.... but theres like a ton out there like corn oil and stuff. Can anyone list some good ones, and ones to avoid?

Also, which milk is better.. Almond milk or coconut milk? (Nutritional viewpoint and acne viewpoint please)

Unrefined coconut oil is hands down the best oil EVER. :) It's safe for high heat cooking and is delicious and healthy.

I also like avocado oil for high heat cooking but it's a bit expensive. Usually I cook things in butter, bacon fat or coconut oil.

Extra virgin olive oil is my go to for salad dressings and mayo.

Here's a nice breakdown from Mark's Daily Apple

I think coconut is an amazing food so my vote is for coconut milk as well however the coconut milk in the milk section does have some sugar in it. Just depends how strict you are.

Thanks owl. The one's the dude was speaking highly of are good for acne, or he just likes them?

@athletic ...so umm those are the ones you know are good for acne, or only the ones you know?

I don't think any oils are specifically good for acne. Some oils are just good for you, some are just bad to put it simply. Eating a healthy diet that meets your body's needs will help stop acne from forming in the first place. You've just got to experiment to find out what works for you.

I know that when I eat better, I feel better. The acne going away is really just an awesome side effect. I can't imagine eating processed food and grains anymore, because I never knew how shitty they made me feel until I stopped eating them.

I guess my point is that eating healthy is good no matter what. It can take some experimenting though to find out what will help your acne.

=]

Cool, and yeah eating healthy does make me a feel a lot better. Less guilty and happy about being full off things that will benefit me in the long run.

Can you give me some examples of what you eat on a daily basis, and what you try to avoid?

I guess it's easier to list what I don't eat, which is

Grains, soy, sugar, milk (except for occasional raw milk, and I do eat most whole milk cheeses and grass fed butter), legumes, fast food, most processed food.

I eat pretty much all fruits and veggies, grass fed/finished meats and wild caught seafood.

An average day's menu looks something like:

Breakfast: 2 Poached eggs with kale and asparagus cooked in butter

Snack: Blackberries

Lunch: BLT's with no bread and home made mayo and turkey

Snack: Beef jerky

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with meat sauce and a salad

Dessert: Fruit smoothie with coconut milk

I get a lot of ideas from everydaypaleo.com

Also I only drink water, tea and occasionally almond and coconut milk and wine.

Grains, soy, sugar, milk (except for occasional raw milk, and I do eat most whole milk cheeses and grass fed butter), legumes, fast food, most processed food.

I eat pretty much all fruits and veggies, grass fed/finished meats and wild caught seafood.

you say u eat whole milk cheeses or most of them correct?? is there a reason not to eat 2% or 1% cheeses or any other kind of cheeses??

also, From your point of view, what would be the cons of eating gluten free steel cut oats ??

you say u eat whole milk cheeses or most of them correct?? is there a reason not to eat 2% or 1% cheeses or any other kind of cheeses??

also, From your point of view, what would be the cons of eating gluten free steel cut oats ??

Mainly, I just prefer the taste of full fat dairy, it's more satisfying/satiating. I do think there is some evidence of it being better for you though I'm not sure. Dairy is not a big part of my diet though. I pretty much never drink milk as a drink and if I do it's raw or organic and just a smidge in a smoothie or recipe. Same with cheese and yogurt, I enjoy it sparingly. Maybe some more knowledgeable folks can explain the process of making cheese and yogurt... something about the process may make the dairy more digestible and less irritating. I know that beneficial enzymes and proteins are destroyed in the pasteurization process.

I don't eat oats because I don't like them. There's just too much other delicious nutritious food to enjoy and waste it on oats, IMO.

All you really need as staples in your diet are extra virgin olive and coconut oil. Olive to use raw on salads and in sauces, and coconut oil for anything you need to cook. :)

There are also a variety of less common oils out there but I like to stick to those two 90% of the time to keep things simple. Stay far far away from any corn or soy oil (vegetable oils).

All you really need as staples in your diet are extra virgin olive and coconut oil. Olive to use raw on salads and in sauces, and coconut oil for anything you need to cook. :)

There are also a variety of less common oils out there but I like to stick to those two 90% of the time to keep things simple. Stay far far away from any corn or soy oil (vegetable oils).

Indeed. Avocado oil is nice for making mayo but ouch... it's pricey.