Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

Thank you for reading. I'm getting my blood work done in 7 hours. I just finished finals and I'm free so I decided to begin this log now. I will begin my prescription on friday(two days from now), should the blood work be completed by then.

Here are some facts:

*Always had perfectly clear skin until around 15 years old.

*Started getting pimples on my forehead at 15

*Around 17 I really started breaking out, badly.

*That breakout persisted, and I've had moderate acne until now, I'm 20. my doctor classifies it as "moderate, inflamed acne."

My skin is bad. It is as bad or worse than any other log I have looked at on this site, from a completely unbiased perspective. I have way more... i don't even know what to call it, pimples, pastules, zits, nodule... I have it.... I have more than the vast majority of logs. Lol. I'm just worried about scarring. God willing I will have minimal to no scarring when I finish my course.

I've been on everything in the book, topicals and minocyclin, etc. Nothing has ever worked. I've only seen a slight response from benzol peroxide and salicylic acid.

I will update when I get my prescription and take my first pill. Peace!

Edited by diaryme727

Thanks for adding your log in , im gonna try accutane around the end of my finals week and was wondering. How long does it take after you visit your dermatologist for you to receive your first batch of accutane. It seems you went to the derm, they did a blood test, and by two days they will have to clear you for a "go" on accutane and then...?

I'd preciate it if you let me know how many days it took for you to start taking the pill from the day you were prescribed it. I need to time my appointment in so by June 5 i should start the pills. Thanks again for posting and giving insight.

Thanks for adding your log in , im gonna try accutane around the end of my finals week and was wondering. How long does it take after you visit your dermatologist for you to receive your first batch of accutane. It seems you went to the derm, they did a blood test, and by two days they will have to clear you for a "go" on accutane and then...?

I'd preciate it if you let me know how many days it took for you to start taking the pill from the day you were prescribed it. I need to time my appointment in so by June 5 i should start the pills. Thanks again for posting and giving insight.

I visited my dermatologist yesterday. I had to sign a couple of consent forms to take isotretinoin (accutane) and was given a lab slip to get my blood work done at another clinic. As soon as the blood work is done, the results of the test will be sent to my dermatologist, and then my dermatologist will call in the prescription to my pharmacy (assuming the results of the test are fine). So I do not have the prescription yet, but as soon as my blood work results are sent to the dermatologist, assuming they are fine, I will be able to pick up the medication. The blood work requires a 12 hour fast, and my dermatologist said it would probably take two days for her to receive the results after the day I get my blood drawn.

I am getting my blood work done in about 3 hours, and I will update the thread when the prescription is called into the pharmacy. I'm hoping it will happen on friday.

Had my first pill today. My derm called in the medication this morning and I picked it up about 3 hours later.

Two recent conversations made me realize I made the right decision in taking accutane:

I was with my two of my best friends back home; I am back home on break from college. Friend 1 has always commented on my acne but Friend 2 never really has. Both don't have acne.

*we walk into an area of intense lighting shortly meeting up*

Friend 1: DUDE WHAT THE F*CK HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE?!

Me: Haha -_-

*Friend 2 comes closer to better examine my face*

Friend 2: HOLY SH*T!

Lol, yeah. I still love them though. The second conversation that made me realize accutane was appropriate occured shortly after I arrived at home for my college break. It was with my mom who was very against me taking accutane in the past (I go to the dermatologist and get my medication alone at college).

Me: Mom, I went to my dermatologist Monday and she prescribed me accutane. I'm going to begin taking it.

*Mom examines my face*

Mom: ...... Okay.

Lol.

Anyhow. Pill 1 taken on May 2, 2011. I must admit, I felt strange after taking the pill. I'm sure it's just my imagination, but I feel kind of weird, like a slight buzz. The type of buzz one might imagine after drinking a little bit or something. Again, I'm sure it's just my imagination. I also talked to the pharmacist about taking vitamin E, fish oil, and probiotics during the course and he said they were all "completely safe." However, I'm not sure if he thinks I was already taking them. I should have made it more clear that I wanted to take them because I was taking accutane. Because of this miscommunication, I'm not confident in taking them, so I think i'll skip out on the probiotics and vitamin E and only take fish oil until I consult my doctor. Thanks for reading. I'll put some pics up of my skin if anyone cares to see it.

Edited by diaryme727

I felt weird after taking my first couple of pills too. I thought I was imagining it too! I figured I was so nervous about side effects that I was imagining some up! But, the funny feeling in my head got a little worse each day. Day 3 I had a headache and sort or a pressure feeling in my head. Not imagined anymore. I stopped taking the pills for a few days, and have just started up again. The headache hasn't completely gone away, even though I took a few days off. I have read other people's posts, and it sounds like getting headaches the first week is kind of normal.

Good luck on your course!

Thank you for the good luck. It is crazy that you had to go off the medication. Thank God, I have not had the strange feeling happen since and that your headache has diminished. Good luck on your course as well!

DAY 5

Took pill number 5 today. No changes in acne, although I might be getting an initial breakout. My skin was so bad and hard to keep track of that it's actually difficult for me to tell if I'm getting an initial breakout... I can't tell if it significantly worse than normal or just a standard fluctuation.

Thank God, I feel no side effects thus far. Only perhaps some very minor joint pain, it might be my imagination. Thank God, the strange feeling after taking the pill has not occurred since the first day.

I have decided to give up all running/basketball/high intensity cardio. This is because I'm a pretty big guy at 6' about 200lbs, don't want to put extra stress on my joints. However, I do go to to the gym about 4 days a week and I will keep going at the same intensity on the weights, until I feel any discomfort. This is going to be a big sacrifice. I really like running and basketball. Going to have to tough it out for about 6 months.

I do not notice dry skin or dry lips. I do feel that my skin is less oily than normal. It is not dry, however. It is just less oily than normal. It feels so much better and less disgusting than how it normally feels throughout the day. I restrict my washing to about 3 times per day, I use a gentle cleanser. Not much to report on skin progress. I've been drinking a lot of water, I would definitely recommend that (not excessive amounts, but the proper amount as suggested by your doctor). I also take a fish oil pill and probiotic currently. Might add on Vitamin E. Peace

Edited by diaryme727

My headache did end up going away the second day after I restarted taking the pills. Since then I've been fine. I do notice if I don't drink enough water, that I start feeling a little headachy again. So, I'm trying really hard to do 12 cups a day.

Good luck with your exercise. I exercise a lot too - and am hoping that the joint pain won't happen.

What dosage are you on?

I'm on around day 9 of pills. Side effects are minimal for me. Lips a little dry, but nothing to complain about. Some flakes on my face when I wake up in the morning. Dry eyes. Skin is about the same. My derm said that I may get worse before I get better, but she doesn't expect it will be bad. I was on doxy before this, and it helped control my acne. Hoping that will minimize what I get, though I see from other logs it doesn't always. No IB for me so far. One cyst on my face, and some minor stuff on my neck & chest.

My headache did end up going away the second day after I restarted taking the pills. Since then I've been fine. I do notice if I don't drink enough water, that I start feeling a little headachy again. So, I'm trying really hard to do 12 cups a day.

Good luck with your exercise. I exercise a lot too - and am hoping that the joint pain won't happen.

What dosage are you on?

I'm on around day 9 of pills. Side effects are minimal for me. Lips a little dry, but nothing to complain about. Some flakes on my face when I wake up in the morning. Dry eyes. Skin is about the same. My derm said that I may get worse before I get better, but she doesn't expect it will be bad. I was on doxy before this, and it helped control my acne. Hoping that will minimize what I get, though I see from other logs it doesn't always. No IB for me so far. One cyst on my face, and some minor stuff on my neck & chest.

I'm glad that your headache has went away. I actually could feel a headache coming on two days ago but it went away before it got noticeable I was a little sick when I woke up yesterday, as my parents were sick and it spread to me, but I felt better within a couple of hours.

I'm on 40mg. I weigh around 200lb so that dosage is less than 0.5mg/kgbodyweight. My dermatologist said she would increase the dosage next month given my blood work is fine, i'd imagine to 80mg.

Your side effects seem to be very similar to mine. I got some blistex for my lips. I also noticed some flakes on my face. Nothing new really to report for me, other than my skin seems more oily than I had thought before. I'm still breaking out with new pimples. I went to the gym today and I had to drop down in weights, probably because I got little sleep and I haven't gone to a real gym in almost two weeks, was just using a condo gym on my break.

^^ Thank you for that link! I'm feeling more confident about this course because of it. Glad to read that for sure; Thank God, I haven't noticed any serious side effects.

As for a little update, I haven't really much to report. This is day 14. Skin is okay. Not good, but not worse than usual. We'll see how it goes. I had a nosebleed after blowing my nose two days ago, but I haven't had one since then. It also appears as though my symptoms are regressing. My lips are less dry than before. One day my lips actually had a small wound and you could see red. My skin still gets oily, but less so than before. My throat also hurt badly a couple of days ago, but I think I was sick. I think I am actually still getting over the illness.

Nothing else to report. I wish I could tell you a miracle occurred and I've cleared in 15 days, but it hasn't turned out that way. I'm still taking fish oil pills, and I'm going to take a vitamin I found online starting tomorrow called "eba" for "everything but vitamin a." You can do a quick google search for it, appears to be best while taking isotretinoin. Till next time

Hello, updating today.

I'm on day 26 I believe. I have a doctor's appointment on tuesday. My last pill will be on monday, and I can't actually refill the prescription until I go to the doctors office. I'm on 40mg right now, and I believe the doctor will increase my dosage.

My skin is okay. It was actually really good around days 16 - 20, but then I began breaking out on days 21-25. Now the breakout has subsided, thank God. Anyone who's had a seeming second initial break out I'd like to hear about it.

My lips are peeling. I'm sure other people think it is gross. Oh well

Also, I was planning to go to an amusement park in a couple of days. It's summer and the sun is shining very brightly. I'd probably be out in the sun for about 8 hours. Would it be unwise to do this while on accutane? Please let me know. Thank you

Edited by diaryme727

A few days ago I was on my 16th day on Accutane and went to my sisters graduation that took place outside. I was under the sun for about 2 hours and became really red. My skin felt really awkward and bumpy.

I think you should still go to the amusement park but make sure to wear a lot of sunscreen, sun glasses, and a hat.

Goodluck man

Thank you for the reply. I decided not to go to the amusement park, for many reasons. I was breaking out, I didn't want to get burned, etc.

It's been two days since I took an accutane pill. lol, was a little angry before. perhaps the medication is messing with me. will be refilling my prescription tomorrow.

*EDIT: I realize, 14 days later (I actually probably realized it at the time as well) how profound this post was; and how representative it was of my life at this point. Acne and my lowered self confidence is causing me to choose to miss out on much in life. It has also changed me as a person - i'm more motivated, driven, and have better self-restraint.

Edited by diaryme727

Day 36 I believe. Increased from 40mg to 80mg five days ago.

Holy crap I am breaking out like crazy. This sucks, lol.

My face is extremely flaky, it doesn't feel really oily, but I'm breaking out like crazy.

You know that feeling when you have pimples all over your face and your face hurts from all of them? You don't even want to touch your face because you know it will hurt? That's how I feel right now.

Combined with itchiness all over my face.

Side effects: *Dry lips, peeling lips. I'm sure people think it looks gross, oh well lol.

*Dry eyes. Only began when I increased the dose.

*Flaky face

*Nothing else really, thank God

I can't complain. Lately I've reading about some unfortunate things going on all over this world. I just have acne. Peace to everyone.

Edited by diaryme727

Day 43:

Yep, still breaking out. The medication doesn't appear to be doing anything, lol. It's just disgusting. I can't even look at myself in the mirror. The other day my lips were so dry they were almost dust! Lol, really though.

I could use some hope if anyone has any to offer. It appeared to be working around day 20, now it just seems as though it's not doing anything. Thank God, do not feel any side effects aside from dry lips and eyes and the occasional lower back pain which I didn't have before.

Also: I don't use moisturizer. I don't feel like I need it; I feel like it will just worsen my breakouts. Is this normal? My skin is not oily but it's not really that dry either.

Edited by diaryme727

Day 55

Nothing new. Face is looking okay, thank God.

Had some angry days, I'm feeling better though. I can see the light at the end of the tunell. God willing this all goes well. Lips cracking and hurt.

Day 67

Wow, this just does not appear to be working at all. It's coming in waves. About 2 weeks ago I was clearing well and now I'm breaking out all over again. Not as bad as my breakouts were before I took the medication, but it's still very bad. This sucks. Still taking 80mg per day.

Edited by diaryme727

Day 67

Wow, this just does not appear to be working at all. It's coming in waves. About 2 weeks ago I was clearing well and now I'm breaking out all over again. Not as bad as my breakouts were before I took the medication, but it's still very bad. This sucks. Still taking 80mg per day.

hey! i'm way behind on days than you are but i just thought i'd pop in and give you some encouragement! acne is the worst and it can really dampen your spirit. a while ago you mentioned not wanting to moisturize because it would make you break out more, but i think this could be a mistake. with accutane your skin has pretty much no moisture, no oil, etc. as its an extremely intense form of vitamin a. i'm not sure how it works, but i know that moisturizer could do nothing but help.

my skin has been shedding like a snake, but i put on a light moisturizer at night and it makes my skin feel much better.

i know you've been taking it for a few months now, but you've got some time left. from what i've read, it goes up and down for a lot of people. i'm sure it will clear up. all will be well! i'll be following this log to keep updated on your events. good luck!

Day 73?

I think I've about had enough. My skin looks like crap.

No side effects other than dry skin and dry eyes and my body just seems to be recovering slower than normal. Skin feels kinda oily at different times during the day.

Story:

Today I was in a small english class when the professor somehow got onto the topic of skincare. I am sitting in a desk the front row right in front of him when he starts to say, I swear he says this:

"Also guys, it's time to start taking care of your skin now. Boys, I'm talking to you, I know you girls already do. Make sure to get a good sun screen and also look into products for your skin. It's important you take care of your skin."

The crazy thing is is that the class only has like 20 people in it and there was only two other guys in the class lol!

When it happened I wasn't even mad or embarrassed. The situation was so unbelievable that I literally only felt incredulous. I just sat there wondering is this seriously happening? I can't even go to class without my skin interfering? Surely I'm dreaming or something?

Anyhow, I've had about enough. Life is not fun. I used to want to be a doctor to save lives but now I realize that that would be evil of me because life is miserable. I am no longer majoring in biology partly for that reason. I changed my major this summer. I am not sure if i'm going to continue at all actually at my school.

Edited by diaryme727

hey i just want to pop by to give you some encouragement.

i am on day 13 for accutane, 40mg a day...

i was on a very strict diet before and it kinda worked for me, but everytime i eat out (socially) i would end up breaking out. and dining out is an important social aspect in my life... on my strict diet i couldnt drink, but social drinking is also required of me once in a while.

i decided to go on accutane cus i'm just sick of my skin being the whole determing factor of my life.

so far i dont see anything happening to my face cept dry skin. the break outs are still there.

i understand how you feel... i heard for accutane to kick into effect it takes around 3-4 months. you are on your way there!

chin up... we'll be clear before we know it. :)

hey i just want to pop by to give you some encouragement.

i am on day 13 for accutane, 40mg a day...

i was on a very strict diet before and it kinda worked for me, but everytime i eat out (socially) i would end up breaking out. and dining out is an important social aspect in my life... on my strict diet i couldnt drink, but social drinking is also required of me once in a while.

i decided to go on accutane cus i'm just sick of my skin being the whole determing factor of my life.

so far i dont see anything happening to my face cept dry skin. the break outs are still there.

i understand how you feel... i heard for accutane to kick into effect it takes around 3-4 months. you are on your way there!

chin up... we'll be clear before we know it. :)

Thank you for the kind words.

My diet is very healthy. Chicken, veggies, fruits, oats. I don't eat out. I don't drink either. But oh well.

Day 87.

Face looks like crap. Forehead is breaking out ridiculously, forehead has an uncountable number of pimples. Small, dry pimples over the rest of my face.

The medicine is really starting to take its toll on my body. Not gonna think about it to much lest it makes it worse. God willing it won't.