Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan_a

Is there anybody out there???

Hello all,

My name is Dan, 25 years old male, I have been fighting acne for over 12 years now, I have tried everything from natural remedies on my skin like lemon juice to harsh drugs like Accutane, none of them worked and acne always hit me back. :evil:

It started when I was 13 with whiteheads and blackheads, got worse and deeper after a couple of years, and got to a point around 18 or 19 when deep cysts also appeared on my face, shoulders, back and back of my head :confused: which made my life more miserable :doh: . I couldn't sleep on my back, I couldn't go swimming and I was not comfortable at all. I should say that I am a happy person, full of energy and social in spite of the acne, otherwise I don't know how my life would be :think:

As I grew up I got a little bit relieved from the peak but still I got cysts, a couple of them at a time and when they got better new ones replaced them and my face was always inflamed, especially beneath my eyes and cheeks. Six months ago the fact that I am still suffering from acne, that I may not be able to enjoy a normal life without being ashamed of my skin hit me, Also the thought that why my brother who is 3 years older than me grew out of acne when he turned into 20 and I am still suffering has been keeping my brain busy.

So I started looking around, reading, buying books, trying different things, living a healthy life, no sugar at all, no carbs like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, no dairy, no junk food, no drinking, just vegetables, fruits, chicken and turkey breasts, a lot of water, tea, exercising, but still I have one or two cysts on my face and some times on the back of my head :snooty: I should add that before this change I got cysts most of the time on my nose and beneath my eyes which used to stay there for at least two weeks but now they do not appear in just one place and they go away faster. But I am still suffering....

I am really close to forget about the whole thing and accept the fact that this is the way it is going to be for the rest of my life, at least I can invest my time, money and effort in other aspect of my life, although I will be jealous of my friends who have smooth and beautiful skins :boohoo:

If there is anyone out there who knows what is going on, please let me know because I really need help! ;)

:wall:

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Having skin troubles as an adult, in my opinion, is even more traumatizing than as a teenager. The short answer to your question is that everyone is different. I wish I could give you a specific answer as to why this happened to you, but I don't know you, lol.

Most people start with altering their diet. For better information on that, check out the diet/holisitc forum. There is some great advice and knowledge from people there. Because your diet sounds damn near perfect, you may want to seek vitamin deficiencies or check with a doctor to have a physical. Make sure everything is working properly.

Another thing people do is see a dermatologist. They can give you some good advice, and set you up with a topical regimen. I hate antibiotics, but for some they are a godsend.

If you alter diet, see a doctor and a derm, and follow a strict topical regimen, and you STILL suffer, then you may want to consider Accutane. I would never tell people to do it or not do it, but its something to research. Especially if this starts to take over your life. I think mental health is just as important.

Good luck. :)

You've done a lot with your diet to lower inflammation in the body and that's an excellent start. It's why the amount of cystic acne you have is less now. I would add 1% tretinoin cream to your regime. It'll knock out the remaining cystic acne, open your pores, push out the deep plugs that start cystic acne and then normalize how your pores function so there is less plugging to begin with. If you decide to do this be patient and know that it can take months for the cystic plugs to be expelled because they are so deep. It can help to take an antibiotic during this time if your skin gets inflammed with all the plugs pushing out. Despite lots of posts saying not to take antibiotics...if you use them for just a short time like above it can make the difference between staying with a regime that's proven to work or giving up. When using tretinoin cream follow the directions about washing gently and then waiting 20 minutes before applying the cream in the evening. Use only gentle products like Galderma and don't rub the skin. You'll also need to use a lotion in the morning to cut down on dry skin. Use Dan's or I like Neutrogena for Combination Skin. My husband uses it too. I use a generic tretinoin cream and it's only $10 on insurance. Your regular doc can prescribe it. If you still have cystic acne at 25 then you'll be using the tretinoin cream for a long time. You can try stopping in your 30's to see if you've outgrown it but chances are you'll want to keep using it. My son finally outgrew his cystic acne at age 32 but I never did. Everyone's different!

Tretinoin Cream is the "gold standard" for treating cystic acne and it's proven to work. The only problem is it takes a long time and people give up too soon, especially if they want a quick fix.

Good luck!

You've done a lot with your diet to lower inflammation in the body and that's an excellent start. It's why the amount of cystic acne you have is less now. I would add 1% tretinoin cream to your regime. It'll knock out the remaining cystic acne, open your pores, push out the deep plugs that start cystic acne and then normalize how your pores function so there is less plugging to begin with. If you decide to do this be patient and know that it can take months for the cystic plugs to be expelled because they are so deep. It can help to take an antibiotic during this time if your skin gets inflammed with all the plugs pushing out. Despite lots of posts saying not to take antibiotics...if you use them for just a short time like above it can make the difference between staying with a regime that's proven to work or giving up. When using tretinoin cream follow the directions about washing gently and then waiting 20 minutes before applying the cream in the evening. Use only gentle products like Galderma and don't rub the skin. You'll also need to use a lotion in the morning to cut down on dry skin. Use Dan's or I like Neutrogena for Combination Skin. My husband uses it too. I use a generic tretinoin cream and it's only $10 on insurance. Your regular doc can prescribe it. If you still have cystic acne at 25 then you'll be using the tretinoin cream for a long time. You can try stopping in your 30's to see if you've outgrown it but chances are you'll want to keep using it. My son finally outgrew his cystic acne at age 32 but I never did. Everyone's different!

Tretinoin Cream is the "gold standard" for treating cystic acne and it's proven to work. The only problem is it takes a long time and people give up too soon, especially if they want a quick fix.

Good luck!

you guys are right I have done whatever I could for my diet i can not do any better than this, that is why these days I am trying different regimens to clear my skin, Black African soap and aspirin mask are the two things I am trying right now, I should say my face looks better but it is too soon to say anything, let me keep using them and I will keep you guys posted....