Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I am new to the board. A bit of background--when I was younger (pre-college) I had clear skin all the time. No breakouts. AFter I went to college I got adult acne and started seeing a dermatologist. I changed my hair products, which helped a lot but not really enough.

After my insurance changed I couldn't really afford to go to the derm anymore (or the $85 tubes) and I broke out a lot for several years. When my H was deployed last year I got interested in nutrition and began experimenting with a "flexitarian" diet (with no red meat and very limited on chicken, etc) and have now switched to lacto ovo vegetarianism. I have been so for about six months. My skin looks better than it has in years and I am convinced this was the issue for me. When I eat anything with meat products--even trace chicken broth or something--I will break out several days later. On this diet normally I do not break out at all and when I do it is small little pimples that aren't really noticeable.

However, I had trouble meeting my caloric needs and so bought a new cookbook and was enjoying, among other things, some egg salad last week. The recipe calls for only one full egg and two egg whites per serving. I have never had an issue with eggs before, but I noticed last week that I was breaking out more than normal. I thought it might be my primer (new brand) so I stopped using it. I ate more egg salad this week (NO Mayo--made with organic yogurt instead). Today, I had a HUGE pimple--I haven't had one this size in about a year. I had it about four times last week and today and yesterday, as I made enough for two servings yesterday. Also I had some egg souflee on easter a friend made with no meat. I have also started doubling my breakfast portions and am much less hungry during the day, but I have not drastically changed other things (the recipes are new, but include the same things I eat frequently...beans and veggies, etc).

Could it be that I cannot eat eggs? I have never considered this or noticed an effect but I have also never eaten them more than occasionally. I only buy the organic eggs.

Also, the only dairy I eat is cheese, including cottage cheese, sparse organic butter for cooking (no margarine, I prefer the real thing if I am going to eat it), and organic plain Greek yogurt. I usually have organic soy milk in all my cereal, drinks, etc. If I do eat milk, I make sure there are no hormones. Dairy does not seem to have a negative effect on me as long as I buy hormone-free. The only thing I have changed in the last two weeks are the amount of eggs.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Before you look at the eggs, you might want to look at the soy and cheese. The most tolerable dairy would be the yogurt though.

What kind of cereal do you eat?

It's possible the egg broke you out. In the name of science I would try it once more after this one healed.

Meanwhile, to ensure you get enough calories, I would load up on avocados, coconut oil, EVOO, and butter.

Eggs contain massive amounts of good cholesterol and fatty acids, both of which are essential for manufacturing androgens in both men and women. If you naturally produce low amounts of cholesterol internally (evident during your blood work ups), then it would make sense eating eggs might cause spikes in androgens.

I did not think about the androgens. It's definitely possible.

As far as breakfast, I have four cereals I eat regularly: Grape Nuts (not the flakes, the actual nuts) with fruit on top, Great Grains Pecan, and then a pumpkin oatmeal (homemade) or a museli (homemade, not storebought). Lately I have been eating the museli. Sometimes I also eat a homemade granola. I have not had trouble with these before, though I am definitely open to suggestions and thoughts on tweaking the diet. I usually put a TB of flax seeds in the cereals as well, having another TB later in the day. I try to never use refined sugar sweeteners; I use agave nectar and honey instead.

I suppose it could also be the cake I had this weekend at a friend's house. She made a delicious carrot cake, but as it was from a prominent and delicious but unhealthy cookbook, I assume it had a lot of sugar in it. Perhaps that was the culprit, as white refined stuff tends to break me out and I know that is what she uses in her baking, though I had more little pimples than usual last week so I suspect the eggs. Could be a combination too.

After it heals I will try again and see if it causes me to break out.

Also, I will try to cut back on my soy intake a little bit, though it has not affected me before, and see if that makes any kind of a difference.

I just wanted to point out that for years I didn't think soy was effecting me either. I was always getting breakouts and soy was always in my system(I was veg for 3 years and ate horrible, lots of soy) so I never was able to correlate the breakouts and the soy. It took me giving up soy and then testing it to see just how badly it was effecting me. After a few months soy free I had some and immediately got a bunch of large cysts on my face.

Even if it doesn't break you out, soy milk is probably one of the least healthy things you could eat.

Hey Deja, i know it seems like i'm following you around but i'm Not. so sorry tho.

i had asked you a question in regards to eggs on another thread, GOod Foods for Acne, as you listed them as a good food for acne, BUT

according to the link below from Nutrition Data.com, eggs are inflammatory. At least hard boiled eggs are.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-...-products/117/2

YOur thoughts?

It is quite common to be intolerant to eggs, especially the whites. I'd cut them out for several weeks to see if you notice a difference. And before giving them up completely you might try getting eggs from organically fed pastured hens. And eat the whole egg. The yolk is the best part.

Sito: Most animal products that aren't fish are going to be somewhat inflammatory. That's why you eat lots of fruits, veggies, herbs and teas to counter that. Unless you are intolerant to them, in which case they are are very inflammatory for you.

Edited by alternativista

The yolk is definitely the best part, I agree! And yeah, allergies to egg suck... one of my friends got tested and found out he was allergic and he had no idea... had to give them up. I sure hope I'm not. I've never noticed any sort of reaction to them, but who knows?

I wish I had access to fresh eggs. I worked for a farm for a short while a couple years back and we had chickens roaming around everywhere. The fresh eggs were delicious!

Thanks for the replies! Very interesting.

I don't know if I'm formally allergic, all I do know is that last week I got some little pimples and after the weekend I had a large one on my cheek. I also got a small one in the same area today and one on my chin. I am going to remove eggs from my diet, at least in those quantites. (Previously, I went through one dozen every two months or so. Last week I went through about 9, as each salad called for 3 eggs, one yolk and two whites, plus about 6 this week, and her souffle. Gulp!).

As far as the soy, I will cut back some on that but I was not having issues with that before last week/beginning of this week--I was drinking at least one cup a day and also getting it in lattes, etc. I am going to remove eggs first this week and see how that goes, and then, if that goes well, see if I continue to break out with soy or not. If so I will remove that, etc. I am trying to remove/add only one thing at a time so I can be sure what it is and come up with the best diet for me.

As far as the kind of eggs, I buy Eggland's Best vegetarian fed hens, organic. That's the only thing I eat or use in recipies and that is what my friend buys as well so I know her egg souffle used those. However, I have NEVER eaten them at that level of consumption--this is the first time I had ever found a recipe for egg salad that I actually liked, and before last week I don't think I had had an egg, hardboiled, in over a year. I occasionally make scrambled eggs for breakfast but I don't care for them as they are not that filling and the last time I did that was at least two months ago as well. I suspect they may be the culprit, but am not sure.

It is true for me that all animal "meats" seem to break me out--I can't eat beef, chicken, or turkey without that happening, which is why I started experimenting with vegetarianism. I had a soup from Tastefully Simple that I didn't know had chicken in it until after I ate it (small pieces) and though it was tasty, the next day, I broke out on my chin. I've never been a huge meat fan though so it wasn't hard for me to stop eating. I've never really been a huge seafood fan either (except for salmon and mahi mahi--everything else is too slimy and fishy so that was not that hard to give up either) but I do take fish oil every day. Nature's Best. I take 2. Should I up it to 3? I also have this week started to do my own green smoothies (previously I purchased them but not too often). I will also be upping my green tea consumption--what is a good amount daily? I drink two cups of black tea daily and coffee rarely, usually only in a latte, which I usually order with soy milk and decaf. Is caffeine inflammatory? Good lord, I hope black tea is not bad! Haha, I'm such a snob about it I get the imported kind from Scotland and order it in.

EDIT: As far as eggs, I have never noticed a reaction when I eat them in baked goods--say, one in cornbread or something--but I also haven't had a hardboiled one in so long I can't say. I will test the soy/egg thing by making the same egg salad sandwhich after this bout of breakout clears and making it with tofu scrambled in tumeric instead of using eggs and eat it for lunch all week, to see what happens with it.

Edited by Kitten35

Also, Deja, I saw on your profile that you are eating a raw diet.

Are you 100% raw? I have been thinking of trying that but am afraid I will be starving all the time like I did when I switched over to veg. I have lost about 15 pounds since doing it, yet I eat ALL THE TIME. Nonstop. So my question is, where do you get protein and filling foods from a raw diet? I do eat/burn about 2K a day (I run, do yoga, etc) and I have tried getting by on less and I just can't do it. I get headaches and grouchy if I eat less calories than that, or too little fat--I tend to be around 30% fat (oils, flax seeds, nuts, and avacado/pumpkin/etc), 17-20% protien, and about 50-60% carbs. I'd like to up the protien and lower the carbs as it evolves but I am still learning how to do that on a veggie diet so it is harder for me to even consider, if I went raw, where that would come from. I consumed just today, a bunch of seeds and nuts, two apples, two tomatoes, a banana, a kiwi, spinach and salad greens, strawberries, blueberries, and beans, along with quinoa and museli. To me it feels like a TON of food and I can't imagine trying to get even more variety (I'm sure it's possible and that's probably a somewhat ignorant statement in the sense that I don't know enough about raw).

I know some raw people (at least from what I have read) eat sushi, or very rare meat, etc. Do you do that, or is that an aspect of the lifestyle/diet that some people will do? Just curious.

When people say egg whites, do they mean the white stuff surrounding the yolk? People at my gym always tell me to eat eggs, but a lot of egg whites because it's better for you. What do they mean?

When people say egg whites, do they mean the white stuff surrounding the yolk? People at my gym always tell me to eat eggs, but a lot of egg whites because it's better for you. What do they mean?

Yes, the part that surrounds the yolk and turns white when cooked.

And eat the whole egg!!!! The whites are not better for you. The only reason to do it is if you are trying to lose weight and I would cut calories somewhere else.

Edited by alternativista

they tell you to only eat the egg whites because the yolk has a lot of cholesterol in it. That dietary cholesterol raises cholesterol isnt true. Thats such an outdated idea/myth.

The yolk contains a lot of nutrients. And its not unhealthy in any way. So dont throw away food!

Also, Deja, I saw on your profile that you are eating a raw diet.

Are you 100% raw? I have been thinking of trying that but am afraid I will be starving all the time like I did when I switched over to veg. I have lost about 15 pounds since doing it, yet I eat ALL THE TIME. Nonstop. So my question is, where do you get protein and filling foods from a raw diet? I do eat/burn about 2K a day (I run, do yoga, etc) and I have tried getting by on less and I just can't do it. I get headaches and grouchy if I eat less calories than that, or too little fat--I tend to be around 30% fat (oils, flax seeds, nuts, and avacado/pumpkin/etc), 17-20% protien, and about 50-60% carbs. I'd like to up the protien and lower the carbs as it evolves but I am still learning how to do that on a veggie diet so it is harder for me to even consider, if I went raw, where that would come from. I consumed just today, a bunch of seeds and nuts, two apples, two tomatoes, a banana, a kiwi, spinach and salad greens, strawberries, blueberries, and beans, along with quinoa and museli. To me it feels like a TON of food and I can't imagine trying to get even more variety (I'm sure it's possible and that's probably a somewhat ignorant statement in the sense that I don't know enough about raw).

I know some raw people (at least from what I have read) eat sushi, or very rare meat, etc. Do you do that, or is that an aspect of the lifestyle/diet that some people will do? Just curious.

Hey! Yes I eat meat, eggs and occasionally some fish (only if it's fresh caught). I'm only high raw. I try to keep my diet around 80-90% raw. That way I can eat my proteins and some cooked vegetables (because some vegetables are not good to eat raw such as broccoli) while still reaping most of the benefits of a raw diet. I don't know if I'll ever go 100% raw, like you I'm an athlete and I need my protein and calories and find it hard when trying to be 100%. But I don't really think there is a reason to go so extreme unless you're doing a detox. High raw is a very healthy diet. :)

And yeah it's a myth that the yolk is unhealthy. You should eat the whole egg.

This whole anti-meat attitude upsets me. If you're getting the decent kind of meat (doesn't even have to be organic, just get it from a butcher who trusts his source to provide good meat) meat should honestly be the LEAST of your worries.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Deja, I am sorry, when I said rare meat, I meant meat that is not cooked much rather than frequency; I have heard of people eating very "rare" meat or sushi on a raw diet and that is what I was curious about. When you eat it, what is the level of cooking involved? Do you eat raw meat or fish, or eggs, or do you cook them?

I am not opposed to eating meat on an ethical level as long as it is slaughtered humanely; however, I did notice an enormous difference after I removed it from my diet and began following a vegetarian diet. After the eggs, I broke out significantly for the first time in months, which is why I wonder if that was the culprit. I have not had significant issues with anything else I have been eating. (I did also break out about a week after Thanksgiving, when I did have some turkey, chicken, and ham over the course of the weekend as sort of a "test" to see if it would cause me to break out. It could always have been something else, but it seems to be a recurring thing for me. That is why I have tried a veggie diet and it has helped enormously. As for organic meat, that is a road I have not yet tried and am considering, but would like to try other things first, as that can tend to get expensive--especially because I can not get it at the commissary, where a steak can be as low as $3 sometimes. My H eats TONS of meat. If we go all organic it would jack up our food bill significantly and we are on a somewhat tight budget, and he does not eat fish at all, which would mean I'd be buying more expensive meat for both of us and also fish for me--only salmon as I find most other things "fishy" and that could add up fast).

kitten if you plan eating rare meat buy organic! People breaking out from meat often is bad digestion. Eating better cooked meats can help with this :P Easier on the digestion I guess. Eggs canbe an allergy. Or often its just coincidence or necebo (<- opposite of placebo).