Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sup peeps, I haven't chimed in a while but thought I would give you guys an update regarding my acne issues. Just a little background first...

A couple years ago, out of the blue, my face erupted in acne. At first I thought it was a rash, but then over the week I was able to see new lesions appearing and it was behaving like acne. I went to see a GP and he gave me some basic first line acne treatments that didn't work. Long story short, I ended up trying tons of medications, developing rosacea, and fighting the most miserable battle of my life. But I have stopped all traces of acne...

In the rosacea community it is well known that low-carb diets help with rosacea symptoms: flushing / blushing, redness. For me I had been trying all this time to keep the acne away that worrying about the rosacea symptoms had become second priority. But since all the topicals I was using (adapalene, tretinoin, BP, etc) would irritate my skin and cause rosacea symptoms I figured that I should try the no-carb diet for a bit and see if there was any progress.

I started my first week long no-carb diet a couple months ago. I noticed that the acne was clearing up, but do to other factors I wasn't able to stick with the diet for very long and so I wasn't clear if the diet was helping. Then I decided to give the diet another test and document everything I was eating and how my skin was reacting. I also stopped all medications (topical / oral) / moisturizers at the same time. I wanted to make sure that the only thing effecting my face was my diet.

Within the first few days I noticed an improvement in my acne. Also my skin wasn't flushing as much and was getting paler because I had stopped the topical meds. So as the week progressed I could really tell that the acne was clearing up. And just to clarify, by no-carb I mean only meats/fish, eggs, a little cheese, and a few green veggies here and there. No fruits, breads, grains, etc.

After a week and a half I could easily see that my skin had improved and I was no longer developing any new acne lesions. This was pretty much the proof I needed for myself to understand if diet was really effecting my skin. This was really a big step for me. I knew that diet effected skin but to what degree I wasn't sure. Also, every derm I have ever spoke to says that diet plays a part but not as big as we think. I live in Japan and the derms here are very conservative and stuck in the past. I am sure that some of you get to see more progressive derms and you are lucky.

The hard part about a no-carb diet is that you get super constipated and it feels like you are giving birth every three days. Not fun. I decided to add green veggies into my diet and my skin was still looking good. Then I added beans, still ok, and then nuts / fruits. Still ok. When I would experiment with any sweeteners or refined carbs (breads, rice, etc) I would notice little spots appearing. The cool thing is that when I noticed a red spot and then ate a big chunk of meat/fish the spot would go away over night.

So now I can eat any meats, veggies, fruits, beans and nuts and not have any acne. I am a strict vegetarian and only experimented with the no-carb diet as an acne test. Also, just in case any of you want to try this diet. I didn't use many oils, maybe just a teaspoon of olive oil here and there. So not sure if that would make a different. My guess is that what really improved my skin wasn't the high protein diet, but rather the low refined carbohydrate diet.

Anyway, so now I am cured of acne. And by cured I mean that I have no more acne lesions on my face. My redness has cleared up and my rosacea is almost gone. But I have a new problem: how to clear up the acne scars and deal with the oily skin... Can anyone recommend some topicals that help with skin texture that aren't very irritating and can be used long term? Peels are too irritating for me. I am pretty sensitive to tretinoin, but adapalene isn't as irritating for me... Also, from the looks of things on this forum there is no cure for oily skin outside isotretinoin. But maybe I overlooked something.

Thanks,

SG

Stay on the low carb diet, it'll eventually get rid of the oily skin and heal your scars. Congrats on finding out the secret too!

Sounds similar to me except I never went as far as to cut out fruits. No grains/soy/potatoes/processed sugar keeps me completely clear. I eat tons of fruit and it doesn't cause any problems.

I'm glad you have adjusted your diet as there is no reason to go so low carb. What you need to do is keep blood sugar stable. I've no idea why so many people take things to such extremes.

Just keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL, eat more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory. and avoid anything you have an intolerance to or has other negative affects like dairy and wheat/gluten do. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...30#entry2637530 Be sure to visit the section on hormones and sebum quality to learn what makes skin greasy as opposed to providing the right amount/quality of sebum that makes skin glow.

I too control my oily skin, acne and rosacea via diet.

Edited by alternativista

Stay on the low carb diet, it'll eventually get rid of the oily skin and heal your scars. Congrats on finding out the secret too!
thanks for the feedback. Has there been any general consensus regarding how long it takes for the sebum production to calm down? month or two?

now that i have figured tyis out I will never go back to the crap diet.

I'm glad you have adjusted your diet as there is no reason to go so low carb. What you need to do is keep blood sugar stable. I've no idea why so many people take things to such extremes.

Just keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL, eat more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory. and avoid anything you have an intolerance to or has other negative affects like dairy and wheat/gluten do. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...30#entry2637530 Be sure to visit the section on hormones and sebum quality to learn what makes skin greasy as opposed to providing the right amount/quality of sebum that makes skin glow.

I too control my oily skin, acne and rosacea via diet.

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info. For now the dairy, grains and refined sugars are out. I wish I would have figured this out sooner.

Sounds similar to me except I never went as far as to cut out fruits. No grains/soy/potatoes/processed sugar keeps me completely clear. I eat tons of fruit and it doesn't cause any problems.
yeah same for me the fruits are fine. I just cut them out for my experiment. But I eat fruit every day now with no issues. thanks.