Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnttreadonme900

What do to when a cyst is resistant to antibiotics and multiple cortisone injections?

I want this thing removed! My derm won't remove it. He just keeps injecting it. IT's been on my cheek for 3 months.. It's not real noticeable yet VERY deep but I think it's hitting a nerve in my cheek causes pain to shoot up all the way to more forehead and then all the way down to my jaw/neck area. I ice it every night for the pain.

It's also skin colored. Not red. So weird!

I want to go to a plastic surgeon to get it removed but I'm afraid it will cost too much money, or they won't remove it.

Why won't the derm remove it?

See another derm or a plastic surgeon and get some idea of what it would cost to excise it. Although plastic surgery is not usually covered by most health insurance in the U.S., surgical excision of a cyst is a standard medical procedure usually covered.

Joe Zit

Why won't the derm remove it?

See another derm or a plastic surgeon and get some idea of what it would cost to excise it. Although plastic surgery is not usually covered by most health insurance in the U.S., surgical excision of a cyst is a standard medical procedure usually covered.

Joe Zit

It has to be on my face longer to be cut out, according to him. I've come to the conclusion that this isn't an acne cyst since my face is totally clear except for this thing because of antibiotics and after several cortisone injections still remains.

Even before I was on accutane with the biggest cysts (size of a quarter) they'd never stick around longer than a month and would always disappear after a cortisone shot.

Hmmmm. I second Joe's idea of perhaps seeing another doctor for a second opinion. I have a cyst that is way down at the bottom of my chin on the jawline. It came the very end of January, shrunk to almost nothing for a month, came back and came to the surface for a week. I popped it, the redness and swelling went down but now I can feel a big bump under the surface where it isn't very noticeable. I do believe it may heal on it's own in time. I had one last spring that was under the surface (never came to the surface) and went away after months on its own. So, it could be that your body will heal it very soon, but, since it's hurting you, I'd definitely try to get in to see a second opinion if you need to. Hugs, sorry you are going through this. I love your avatar by the way.

Hmmmm. I second Joe's idea of perhaps seeing another doctor for a second opinion. I have a cyst that is way down at the bottom of my chin on the jawline. It came the very end of January, shrunk to almost nothing for a month, came back and came to the surface for a week. I popped it, the redness and swelling went down but now I can feel a big bump under the surface where it isn't very noticeable. I do believe it may heal on it's own in time. I had one last spring that was under the surface (never came to the surface) and went away after months on its own. So, it could be that your body will heal it very soon, but, since it's hurting you, I'd definitely try to get in to see a second opinion if you need to. Hugs, sorry you are going through this. I love your avatar by the way.

Hey thanks! Yeah, I've made an appointment with a plastic surgeon to take a look at it and see if he will remove it. I will go next week. I figure it's better than going back to my derm and get another pointless and painful injection or find another dermatologist...which is difficult because being a new patient always means you have to wait a few months to see them. This lump causes me excruciating facial pain in my jaw to the point where my mom gave me leftover Percoset pills from a surgery of hers to relieve the pain because ice and ibuprofen weren't working. I pray to God this surgeon will remove it and end all the horror for me! And I trust a plastic surgeon cutting up my face a lot more than a dermatologist. I hope it's not too expensive!