Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Just_a_guy

Please, I need a quick advice

Im a 28yo male finishing the fourth month of accutane, and my doc prescribes only low dose (20mg a day) to avoid side-effects. The problem is I started noticing a lot of hair shedding a couple of months ago, and last month the doc prescribed a lotion (it has minoxidil and ketoconazole) which doesn't seem to be helping. Today I I felt really desperate in the shower after washing my hair because it's shedding like crazy.

No one in my mother's family is bald, my father was bald, and I dont think my hairline is receding, the hairloss seems to be concentraded on some spots, but my whole scalp is more apparent. Also, I tried taking two 20mg pills a couple of times, but I felt my scalp burning the day after, so now I'm strictly following the prescription.

Should I stop taking accutane now? If I do, will my acne come back? (I never had too much and it was under control using clindoxyl, but I used for years and it was really annoying, not to mention I had some acne on my back too, now my whole skin is pretty much clear)

The doctor said I should take 6 months (so 2 more to go) of 20mg a day. I'm very worried about my hair...

Edited by Just_a_guy

The answer depends on whether you think it is worth the risk of possible long-term hair loss issues. This side effect is not that uncommon; there are threads on this topic that you can read to help you make your decision.

Best, Shantelle

Im a 28yo male finishing the fourth month of accutane, and my doc prescribes only low dose (20mg a day) to avoid side-effects. The problem is I started noticing a lot of hair shedding a couple of months ago, and last month the doc prescribed a lotion (it has minoxidil and ketoconazole) which doesn't seem to be helping. Today I I felt really desperate in the shower after washing my hair because it's shedding like crazy.

No one in my mother's family is bald, my father was bald, and I dont think my hairline is receding, the hairloss seems to be concentraded on some spots, but my whole scalp is more apparent. Also, I tried taking two 20mg pills a couple of times, but I felt my scalp burning the day after, so now I'm strictly following the prescription.

Should I stop taking accutane now? If I do, will my acne come back? (I never had too much and it was under control using clindoxyl, but I used for years and it was really annoying, not to mention I had some acne on my back too, now my whole skin is pretty much clear)

The doctor said I should take 6 months (so 2 more to go) of 20mg a day. I'm very worried about my hair...

Talk to your derm about it, or preferably several derms.

I did talk to my derm and also asked another one about it, both said accutane induced hairloss is temporary and should stop as soon as I quit taking it, but I'm not convinced, and I really don't want to trade my hair for a clear skin...

So if I quit now, the four months (20mg) would be wasted or not? Is there a chance my acne won't come back?

I had some acne on my face and some on my back, not severe, my face was very oily though. My weight is 70kg (154 pounds). I'm clear now and barely had a breakout.

Also, how likely is it that the hair shedding will stop if I stop the treatment?

Edited by Just_a_guy

I am curious to know what is the brand of the lotion that you were prescribed with?

I have the exact same thing as you. 20 mg/day, except my hair loss began halfway into the 2nd month. Here's my advice: Stop for one week and see if your hair stops shedding. If it stops shedding, just stop the accutane--it's not worth it.

I stopped the accutane for a couple days and my hair stopped shedding completely, nada. I restarted again and took one 20 mg pill out of ignorant hope and for the last 4 days I've been shedding again and I'm feeling nauseous 24/7. Really hope the shedding stops soon or I'll forever beat myself up over that 1 stupid pill.

So far my hair isn't noticeably thinner, but I've noticed my hairline is a bit patchier, but still not enough to be noticed unless your up front on the mirror. Hope it stays like this.

My derm told me if you're worried about any acne coming back, start applying a topical retinoid a couple days after stopping accutane to keep the skin where it's at.

Edited by Anbokr

I am curious to know what is the brand of the lotion that you were prescribed with?

It's a magistral drug (not sure that's the name in english, it's when the doctor prescribes the ingredients and the pharmacy makes the drug accordingly). I can check for the exact components and concentrations if you want. It maybe too soon to tell, but I've been using it for almost a month and the shedding seems unchanged, I'm still losing a massive amount of hair in the shower, during the day, etc. Sometimes I get really desperate.

Edited by Just_a_guy

I have the exact same thing as you. 20 mg/day, except my hair loss began halfway into the 2nd month. Here's my advice: Stop for one week and see if your hair stops shedding. If it stops shedding, just stop the accutane--it's not worth it.

I stopped the accutane for a couple days and my hair stopped shedding completely, nada. I restarted again and took one 20 mg pill out of ignorant hope and for the last 4 days I've been shedding again and I'm feeling nauseous 24/7. Really hope the shedding stops soon or I'll forever beat myself up over that 1 stupid pill.

So far my hair isn't noticeably thinner, but I've noticed my hairline is a bit patchier, but still not enough to be noticed unless your up front on the mirror. Hope it stays like this.

My derm told me if you're worried about any acne coming back, start applying a topical retinoid a couple days after stopping accutane to keep the skin where it's at.

You sure it stopped shedding after only two days without accutane?

'Cause if it really stops that fast, I think I might go through the whole 6 months (2 left), as I probably wouldn't be bald yet by then. It's been two months of shedding and people started to notice now, but I (obviously) can still live with it. Also, I doubt that one extra pill you took has any significant effect, dont worry too much (worrying can cause even more shedding as far as I know)...

Anyone? I'm really lost here.

How likely is it that the shedding will stop if I stop taking accutane?

Is there a chance that my acne won't come back if I stop now? (4 months X 20mg, I weight 70kg ~ 150 pounds and both my face and back are clear, but I had no initial breakout)

Or should I take it for another couple of months like my derm said?

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Just_a_guy

Anyone? I'm really lost here.

How likely is it that the shedding will stop if I stop taking accutane?

Is there a chance that my acne won't come back if I stop now? (4 months X 20mg, I weight 70kg ~ 150 pounds and both my face and back are clear, but I had no initial breakout)

Or should I take it for another couple of months like my derm said?

Thanks for the replies!

hey there

Im female and just finished 5 months of accutane and noticed my hair thinning Im hoping it will stop now im off..but seriously you need to think about whats more important nad how big a deal it would be with the hair loss....if it was me Id give up the accutane to keep my hair.....not worth it ..

good luck x

You sure it stopped shedding after only two days without accutane?

'Cause if it really stops that fast, I think I might go through the whole 6 months (2 left), as I probably wouldn't be bald yet by then. It's been two months of shedding and people started to notice now, but I (obviously) can still live with it. Also, I doubt that one extra pill you took has any significant effect, dont worry too much (worrying can cause even more shedding as far as I know)...

Reading other posts in other hair loss threads, some people kept shedding for two weeks to sometimes months afterwards. For me, I am 100% sure that I completely stopped shedding after 2 days. No hair on the pillow, a few after itching scalp for 10 seconds or so, and maybe 1 or two in the shower. However, I'm still shedding 4 days after restarting with that one stupid pill.

May I ask how much hair your shedding? How many do you notice on your pillow, or on your hands after shampooing? What do you mean by "massive amounts"?

Reading other posts in other hair loss threads, some people kept shedding for two weeks to sometimes months afterwards. For me, I am 100% sure that I completely stopped shedding after 2 days. No hair on the pillow, a few after itching scalp for 10 seconds or so, and maybe 1 or two in the shower. However, I'm still shedding 4 days after restarting with that one stupid pill.

May I ask how much hair your shedding? How many do you notice on your pillow, or on your hands after shampooing? What do you mean by "massive amounts"?

Usually around 6~10 on the pillow, and several (more than 20) on my hands after shampooing, another bunch after conditioning (maybe another 20). Before accutane I had between 0 and 2 on the pillow and very few in the shower. My scalp is clearly more visible now on several places, it seems the shedding is everywhere.

I'm almost convinced to stop the course =(

Usually around 6~10 on the pillow, and several (more than 20) on my hands after shampooing, another bunch after conditioning (maybe another 20). Before accutane I had between 0 and 2 on the pillow and very few in the shower. My scalp is clearly more visible now on several places, it seems the shedding is everywhere.

I'm almost convinced to stop the course =(

Hmm yeah, if I were you I would stop. I got paranoid and depressed with just 3-5 on my pillow and 5-7 after shampooing or conditioning on my hands.

Hmm yeah, if I were you I would stop. I got paranoid and depressed with just 3-5 on my pillow and 5-7 after shampooing or conditioning on my hands.

Thanks for the reply. It makes me really sad to say, but tomorrow I'll take my last pill, finishing only 4 months of 20mg. It's 2/3 of what my doctor wanted me to take (6 months total), but I doubt it will be enough. I just can't risk my hair this much :(

I just came back from the derm and he said I should stop it. If the acne comes back (and he said it probably won't, but I don't really believe it) I could give it another try... Not sure I would, though.

Hello,

I've also been shedding hair like crazy, way more than 100 hairs daily =( Its very sad I'm starting to see a few bald spots, which is horrible for a girl.

I'm 22/female 115 pounds and took 80mg daily. I took accutane for 149 days, one day short to complete my 5th month.

I noticed hair loss about 2 weeks into my 5th month. I stopped taking accutane exactly a week ago and my hair is still falling out like crazy =(

Well thats been my experience so far... Good luck 2 u =)

Hello,

I've also been shedding hair like crazy, way more than 100 hairs daily =( Its very sad I'm starting to see a few bald spots, which is horrible for a girl.

I'm 22/female 115 pounds and took 80mg daily. I took accutane for 149 days, one day short to complete my 5th month.

I noticed hair loss about 2 weeks into my 5th month. I stopped taking accutane exactly a week ago and my hair is still falling out like crazy =(

Well thats been my experience so far... Good luck 2 u =)

I quit last friday, nothing changed so far (hair still shedding, face still dry). Now I'm researching other options... Seems that B5 (pantothenic acid) could not only help the hair loss but also clear the skin from acne, but only in high doses... Maybe I'll try that.

At least you can be almost sure that your acne will never come back, considering how much accutane you took, and your hair will probably stop shedding soon... Let me know how that goes, good luck too!

Edited by Just_a_guy

My hair isn't shedding anymore. I stopped taking accutane 3 weeks ago, and today I noticed only normal shedding (few hairs a day). Oil just came back, too, and my eyes also feel better (they were too dry before).

But... acne may be coming back too. I had 3 small zits on the corner of my nose over the last week or so, surely thats nothing but maybe a sign for a full comeback \=