Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

****SKIN

Soooo I get microdermabrasion and a chemical peel. I end up with a big red patch on my right cheek bone. The red patch turns dark, almost brown. And now my skin is peeling. And over the dark patch is just a layer of hard, dry skin. My makeup won't even sit right on it. No matter what I do, I never win. I hate my skin and it hates me. And I think I might just give up and let it be pimply, or dry, or however the hell else its wants to be, and just go out without makeup and say screw it. I can't battle with it anymore, it's emotionally draining. It's ruined me, it's consumed my thoughts. I can't manage it. I'll never have nice skin and I just have to accept that I'm a person with a major genetic flaw and there is nothing I can do about it.

I can't take it anymore. I'm just gonna go out and everyone can be like Wow, her skin sucks, but maybe that's just how I am supposed to be, i give up

Edited by Gina1234

Chin up :) Acne isn't all there is in life, though it sometimes sure seems like it.

It hasn't ruined you unless you let it. Yeah sure it can really dig deep and it can be all you think about, but you just have to try and not let it. Have some alone time to watch your favorite movies or do a favorite hobby, it can help.

Embrace other things you love about yourself and appreciate that (hopefully) acne is the only thing your have to worry about. It's not the end of the world :comfort:

Chin up :) Acne isn't all there is in life, though it sometimes sure seems like it.

It hasn't ruined you unless you let it. Yeah sure it can really dig deep and it can be all you think about, but you just have to try and not let it. Have some alone time to watch your favorite movies or do a favorite hobby, it can help.

Embrace other things you love about yourself and appreciate that (hopefully) acne is the only thing your have to worry about. It's not the end of the world :comfort:

You know, everyone says that, but I care so much about how I look and base so much of how I act off of it that I "want" to let it comsume my thoughts...if that makes sense. It's important to me.....OR, I mean, it WAS, because now, like I said, screw it, because I'm just going to go out and people will think I'm ugly but whatever, that's fine.

My entire character is defined by my acne, If I am somewhat clear (no matter how short that period may be) I am confident, witty and charismatic, when I'm plagued with acne, I'm anti-social, oblivious and shy. Dont you think it's sad that we let acne dominate our lives? on the other hand, humans are a shallow race and unfortunately those who are attractive have most aspects of life easier than those who are not :/ and I feel that we acne sufferers are always drawing the short end of the stick in one way or another (spots, scarring, hyper-pigmentation, there's always something). I have also given up fighting my skin, i've realised that the harder I fight, the harder my skin fights back, I could care less what people think now....sorry to be so pessimistic but I empathise with how you feel :(

My entire character is defined by my acne, If I am somewhat clear (no matter how short that period may be) I am confident, witty and charismatic, when I'm plagued with acne, I'm anti-social, oblivious and shy. Dont you think it's sad that we let acne dominate our lives? on the other hand, humans are a shallow race and unfortunately those who are attractive have most aspects of life easier than those who are not :/ and I feel that we acne sufferers are always drawing the short end of the stick in one way or another (spots, scarring, hyper-pigmentation, there's always something). I have also given up fighting my skin, i've realised that the harder I fight, the harder my skin fights back, I could care less what people think now....sorry to be so pessimistic but I empathise with how you feel :(

EXACTLY. No matter what, there's always something wrong. Even when it's clear, there are still redmarks; that or is really dry, like how I am now. I literally don't have the energy or the will to fight it anymore. I'm just going to have to accept that I am an unattractive person, because of my skin, and those are the cards I was dealt, and I just wasn't supposed to be a pretty girl, done. done.done.

EXACTLY. No matter what, there's always something wrong. Even when it's clear, there are still redmarks; that or is really dry, like how I am now. I literally don't have the energy or the will to fight it anymore. I'm just going to have to accept that I am an unattractive person, because of my skin, and those are the cards I was dealt, and I just wasn't supposed to be a pretty girl, done. done.done.

:( There are some people who can pay no attention to acne and treat you like a normal human being, I have few friends, but they are valuable because they don't see my acne, they see "me" they really do allow me to be myself without being judged. Try to surround yourself with people like that, and for the record, my ex-girlfriend had a fair bit of acne and I still thought she was extremely pretty... for me personally, I think girls with acne are cute, and i'm SURE i'm not the only one :)

Edited by Lee1234

:( There are some people who can pay no attention to acne and treat you like a normal human being, I have few friends, but they are valuable because they don't see my acne, they see "me" they really do allow me to be myself without being judged. Try to surround yourself with people like that, and for the record, my ex-girlfriend had a fair bit of acne and I still thought she was extremely pretty... for me personally, I think girls with acne are cute, and i'm SURE i'm not the only one :)

Friends are a whole different story with me!

And It doesn't matter how many people think I'm pretty because *I* think I'm repulsive because of my skin. I care more about what I think of myself....I would rather have the whole think I'm ugly, but I myself think I'm pretty. Then, I'd be fine. Seeee? Sooo I feel like there very little other people can say to make me feel better because all it comes down to is how I feel about myself.

Friends are a whole different story with me!

And It doesn't matter how many people think I'm pretty because *I* think I'm repulsive because of my skin. I care more about what I think of myself....I would rather have the whole think I'm ugly, but I myself think I'm pretty. Then, I'd be fine. Seeee? Sooo I feel like there very little other people can say to make me feel better because all it comes down to is how I feel about myself.

Yeah, I understand :(

I can't explain the reaction to the microdermabrasion and peel because I don't know anything about them. But I wonder if it's possible that you're doing too much to your skin and it's trying to repair itself. Maybe in trying to repair itself, it's generating things which ultimately bring on acne, and so it's keeping that vicious cycle going?

Perhaps you may benefit from just going about your business and cutting down on the things you do to your skin. Easier said than done, and I've learnt that first hand. It's just a thought, only I've found that keeping things simple and cutting out the habits which were actually making my skin worse has had a positive influence on the state of my skin and has allowed it to recover.

I thought my skin hated me too. Now I wonder if it was just punishing me becacuse I was punishing it. Now, we're starting to be nicer to each other and, for the most part, it's going well.

As for being consumed by the thoughts of how others see you, I can totally relate to that.

I asked my GP about how I could deal with that, as it was starting to affect me and I was become anxious at work and so on. He said I should just ask people what they see. And you know, from what I've heard when I've had the guts to ask people, they're really confused by how I described the way I see myself because that's not what they see in me at all. :)

Edited by PaulH85

I can't explain the reaction to the microdermabrasion and peel because I don't know anything about them. But I wonder if it's possible that you're doing too much to your skin and it's trying to repair itself. Maybe in trying to repair itself, it's generating things which ultimately bring on acne, and so it's keeping that vicious cycle going?

Perhaps you may benefit from just going about your business and cutting down on the things you do to your skin. Easier said than done, and I've learnt that first hand. It's just a thought, only I've found that keeping things simple and cutting out the habits which were actually making my skin worse has had a positive influence on the state of my skin and has allowed it to recover.

I thought my skin hated me too. Now I wonder if it was just punishing me becacuse I was punishing it. Now, we're starting to be nicer to each other and, for the most part, it's going well.

As for being consumed by the thoughts of how others see you, I can totally relate to that.

I asked my GP about how I could deal with that, as it was starting to affect me and I was become anxious at work and so on. He said I should just ask people what they see. And you know, from what I've heard when I've had the guts to ask people, they're really confused by how I described the way I see myself because that's not what they see in me at all. :)

There's probably truth to that. I mean, ultimately, I wonder if a chemical peel is what your skin "wants," you know? Maybe your skin doesn't want to be scrubbed with BP, maybe it doesn't want to be soaked in acid...:/ According to Tracy from the Love Vitamin, it doesn't.

What did you do to your skin to treat it badly?

I wouldn't usually comment on this type of thread, but I feel the need to just tell you I feel your pain. I'm pretty sure I saw another profile pic of yours before on this site awhile back, and from what I remember, you were really attractive. You might be thinking "oh ya, but you couldn't see my skin/scars/red marks/etc, and if you did you would think I'm hideous" but the truth is; I wouldn't.

I am dealing with the same type of thoughts that you are (dealing with a mark on my face that's not actually big, yet I feel absolutely hideous). People often tell me I'm handsome etc. yet I can't really believe it myself, because of what I feel I look like, and thus I don't believe them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is (and you've heard it before), we really do judge ourselves harder than we do others, and what you see isn't what others see (or focus on). I'm trying to learn this myself, it's hard, very hard, this obsession of mine (I think I have BDD) has ruined my social life, school life, etc. and I am now in therapy, but I always try to put things in perspective.

Not much else I can say without sounding too preachy, just keep your head up, try to live your life as best you can for now, and there will always be brighter days ahead.

Yeah, I'm with jamesy on this one! :)

There's probably truth to that. I mean, ultimately, I wonder if a chemical peel is what your skin "wants," you know? Maybe your skin doesn't want to be scrubbed with BP, maybe it doesn't want to be soaked in acid...:/ According to Tracy from the Love Vitamin, it doesn't.

What did you do to your skin to treat it badly?

Edited by PaulH85

I wouldn't usually comment on this type of thread, but I feel the need to just tell you I feel your pain. I'm pretty sure I saw another profile pic of yours before on this site awhile back, and from what I remember, you were really attractive. You might be thinking "oh ya, but you couldn't see my skin/scars/red marks/etc, and if you did you would think I'm hideous" but the truth is; I wouldn't.

I am dealing with the same type of thoughts that you are (dealing with a mark on my face that's not actually big, yet I feel absolutely hideous). People often tell me I'm handsome etc. yet I can't really believe it myself, because of what I feel I look like, and thus I don't believe them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is (and you've heard it before), we really do judge ourselves harder than we do others, and what you see isn't what others see (or focus on). I'm trying to learn this myself, it's hard, very hard, this obsession of mine (I think I have BDD) has ruined my social life, school life, etc. and I am now in therapy, but I always try to put things in perspective.

Not much else I can say without sounding too preachy, just keep your head up, try to live your life as best you can for now, and there will always be brighter days ahead.

Thanks... I'm in a better mood now. I've been having these weird bouts of acne depression where I hate myself for a few hours and then I bounce out of it and feel normal again. I think it helps to go out and look at other people and realize that they aren't perfect either.

But I think I need to change my regimine and my whole outlook on acne, because what I'm doing now clearly isn't working.

****SKIN

Soooo I get microdermabrasion and a chemical peel. I end up with a big red patch on my right cheek bone. The red patch turns dark, almost brown. And now my skin is peeling. And over the dark patch is just a layer of hard, dry skin. My makeup won't even sit right on it. No matter what I do, I never win. I hate my skin and it hates me. And I think I might just give up and let it be pimply, or dry, or however the hell else its wants to be, and just go out without makeup and say screw it. I can't battle with it anymore, it's emotionally draining. It's ruined me, it's consumed my thoughts. I can't manage it. I'll never have nice skin and I just have to accept that I'm a person with a major genetic flaw and there is nothing I can do about it.

I can't take it anymore. I'm just gonna go out and everyone can be like Wow, her skin sucks, but maybe that's just how I am supposed to be, i give up

you're going to be fine. your skin was burned by the chemical peel, which is what it's suppose to do. the top dead layer will come off and new skin will be reveal. your skin doesn't hate you. you're just not giving it a chance.