Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So here's the deal. I have a love hate relationship with retinoids. It has helped fade post red marks however at the same time you all know this you are more prone to scaring. I'm starting accutane in 3 weeks. I had been using tazorac for a year in half which I just realized was too powerful for my skin, just recently switched to RAM .04% The irritation has gone down (espciallly since I stopped jojoba oil, I had a very bad reaction). The RAM is keeping me clear and at the same time causing my skin to dry.

This is my routine:

Morning: Do nothing.

Night: sulfur wash spread for 20 seconds, moisturize immediately after shower, wait 30 mins apply ram every other night.

Now how should I go about tapering off the retinoid. I don't want to have a massive break out before accutane but I don't want to have seriously dry skin right before accutane either. I don't know what to do ;-(

Has anybody transitioned from a retnoid to accutane?

Here is my skin. It's becoming how it use to be before I started a retnoid. My forehead has always had the most oil and my cheeks semi dry,oily. Chin same.

gallery_105768_11592_111727.jpg

Here is my skin. It's becoming how it use to be before I started a retnoid. My forehead has always had the most oil and my cheeks semi dry,oily. Chin same.

Your skin is really clear.. Why are you going on accutane?

That's my good side. And the main reason is I don't want to be on a retnoid for the rest of my life to remain clear. My skin is constantly peeling. I think it peels every 4-5 days.

Babe you're very clear already. :shock:

If you think the topical retinoid is keeping your acne at bay, then I'd stop it right now and see if you break out badly, and if you do then you should consider Accutane (having tried everything else without success).

Edited by biggs881

I wish ;-( My other side is not so good. I feel like two face in batman (I've been watching them over and over again, sooo good).

Yeah I think I may stop the ram. Do you guys notice any weird lines by my eyes? I swear you can tell I had chemical peels done in the past. I regret ever doing them. Do you think any scaring will heal over time from the peels? I think I got a total of 7 or 8 of them in the past year in half. They were 10% and 20% salicylic acid peels.

And thanks bigg ;-)

I wish ;-( My other side is not so good. I feel like two face in batman (I've been watching them over and over again, sooo good).

Yeah I think I may stop the ram. Do you guys notice any weird lines by my eyes? I swear you can tell I had chemical peels done in the past. I regret ever doing them. Do you think any scaring will heal over time from the peels? I think I got a total of 7 or 8 of them in the past year in half. They were 10% and 20% salicylic acid peels.

And thanks bigg ;-)

Oh my lord... I would kill to have your skin. It looks so good! I have no acne anymore but so many red marks, but most of them are light ones. They still really bug me, and i'm trying out natural methods to fade them quicker.

Thanks love. Pictures can lie though. My texture is a little uneven. You can see its weird around my eyes. ;-(

If you consider chemical peels, do the lightest peel possible. And don't prepeel the skin. I made the mistake too many times and now im paying for it.

I wouldn't know if accutane is a good option for you, but I used clindoxyl (clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide) for years before starting on accutane and it kept my skin fairly clear, but like you I was tired of applying it every night, also had to wash it off every morning, it stained my clothes and sheets, etc.

I kept using it until I noticed the accutane kicking in (by the end of the second week if I remember well) and had no initial breakout. Not sure if it's 'cause I was using clindoxyl in the start or if it's related to the low dose I'm taking (20mg a day).

I'm on the 4th month now, and I'll probably stop soon because of hair shedding.

I wouldn't know if accutane is a good option for you, but I used clindoxyl (clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide) for years before starting on accutane and it kept my skin fairly clear, but like you I was tired of applying it every night, also had to wash it off every morning, it stained my clothes and sheets, etc.

I kept using it until I noticed the accutane kicking in (by the end of the second week if I remember well) and had no initial breakout. Not sure if it's 'cause I was using clindoxyl in the start or if it's related to the low dose I'm taking (20mg a day).

I'm on the 4th month now, and I'll probably stop soon because of hair shedding.

I am on Accutane right now, almost the end of the second month, and it has cleared all my acne, which has amazed me, but i am confused by this retinoid thing? I guess it's a type of topical? All I can say is that I used Differin, which sucked and also Duac. Hmm dunno if they're included in that group?

Adios!

HI, I think that being that the skin is the largest organ in the body, that poisons are best kept away from the face specifically.

I have had great success in handling skin problems on the face with organic methods.

Micalce E cream from *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * is deffinately worth a try. :)

So here's the deal. I have a love hate relationship with retinoids. It has helped fade post red marks however at the same time you all know this you are more prone to scaring.

Really? My dermatologist always says retin-A will prevent scarring.

Edited by Anbokr

It's kinda like temporary scaring. The top layer becomes thin while the bottom of he epidermis becomes thicker. It's weird. I think retnoid should only be given to people as maintenance after their acne is gone. I don't see it as s solution maybe temporarily. I just don't see how using it nightly can be good for your skin. That's just my personal experience. After accutane I want to try to get renova and use it once a week for wrinkles and scars. But that's it.