Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys!

I've suffered with bad skin since my early teens. I remember my first spot like it was yesterday. Mum handed me the concealer and I've had a hate-hate relationship with my skin ever since. I was always told that my teenage troubled skin would disappear as I got older, but here I am in my twenties desperately scavenging the internet for a dribble of hope for my skin's future!

As I'm sure many of you have done too, I've tried all kinds of things that I've read about on the net and spent hundreds of pounds in the process. The reason I'm writing now, is that I'm considering a different regimen. Like I said, in the past I have spent hundreds of pounds on cleansing products ranging from Clearisil and Freederm to Clarins and Clinique (not to mention the makeup I use on nights out to cover my face!!!). The product I am now using is Tea-tree oil! Shockingly simple and £16 from Holland & Barrett. I steam my face, then wash with tea-tree oil and then apply Benzoyl Peroxide. I had been doing this for about a month and my skin had improved dramatically but for some reason I have broken out over the last couple of days - I could cry, it's so sore and red. Does anyone else use essential oils to treat their acne? And if so, is there anything I can use on such aggressive acne without irritating it further?

I'm a vegetarian and considering altering my diet to cut out dairy as I've read a lot of things linking the two... Does anyone else know about this? Does cutting out dairy actually work? I love cheese toasties.

(So, let me give you a run down of what the dermatologist has prescribed me to date. The first topical I was let loose with is Duac "Once Daily" (Clindamycin + Benzoyl Peroxide). I was told to let it work for 4-6 weeks before I would begin to see any difference - I didn't! Weapon number 2: Zineryt (Erythromycin). I was told to use this twice a day, but I used it for a week and my skin was worse than when I started with it and it left a greasy film on the skin. Back to the dermatologist. This time I was prescribed with an oral medication for acne called Tetralysal (Tetracycline/Lymecycline). I've been told to let them do their wonders for 8 weeks before I go back for a consultation. If anyone has experience with the oral meds, let me know how you got on!)

xxxxx