Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T.S. Eliot

You guys need to stop whimpering

Most of the people on this site that I've shared stories with are 21+. Just adding that little fact...

Just be grateful that you have the positive disposition that you do Doopie...it will probably add 10 years to your life wink.gif

Just be grateful that you have the positive disposition that you do Doopie...it will probably add 10 years to your life wink.gif

But not everything is as bad as it seems. There's always someone far worse off than you, if not physically, emotionally, mentally...

T.S., why don't you just quietly exit and stop making a fool of yourself?

Hey T.S., I don't totally disagree with you - there are some people here who are probably overly dramatic about their situation. However, it just depends on your perspective. After all, there will always be someone who is worse off than you, but that does NOT invalidate how someone feels about themselves.

While you attempt to present yourself as a strong, principled individual, you actually strike me as someone who has not had their personal beliefs sufficiently challenged in life. People do not live in a vacuum. It is easy to make bold statements when you are by yourself, but things get considerably more complicated when you involve other people and their contributions to your life. I knew people in college who, when they first began, said things like, "I will never drink/smoke/do drugs/have pre-marital sex", etc, but once they actually experienced these things, their attitude quickly changed. And why not? They were initially trying to make decisions without having all the facts.

I don't quite understand your reasoning for not wanting to get rid of your scars. I think you are in denial of your own basic emotions if you believe wanting to look better is a "pathetic adherence to superficial values". Do you put on clean clothes in the morning? Comb your hair? If so, you have already given in to these superficial values. The way you accuse people of displaying "weakness" for sharing their feelings on this board tells me you simply did not grow up in a supportive environment. I didn't either, and it's quite a revelation to be around people who will listen and respect your feelings. You should give it a try, instead of trying to criticize and repress them.

I totally agree... first off even if i DID think that everyone here was just whining, which i certainly dont, I dont see how ANYONE can tell people to stop whining in a room that says in its very title "To vent" if there is one place in the world for it this would seem to be the place. I dont understand how someone without acne joins acne.org goes to the emotional and psych effects and says... hey stop complaining... did he expect to find the latest Video game review?

I personally had minimal emotional effects from acne but I really enjoy the people here and how supportive MOST of them are, ive never seen such a large amount of people that dont know eachother seem so tight knit

And about the whole vanity/weakness thing:

I agree about certain things being vain like breast implants... nose jobs etc. But i have a question would you say that extremly obese people that have their stomaches resized to attempt to avoid heart attacks are being vain? It is an old fashioned way of thinking that is going out that doesnt recognize Psychological health as important as physical since they are both so closely related

If someone genuinely feels trapped and unable to be themselves because of a condition they have that they posses the means to change ie crooked teeth, facial scars etc WHY NOT? We have the technology.. should people say... "Well for whatever reason (childhood teasing or just a differnet disposition) I feel very insecure about my scars and I dont feel i can be myself and i can afford to change it.... BUT this guy over here TS HE doesnt care about his scars... i dont want to be weak.. I should prolong feeling bad about myself and ignore how I feel becasue this ONE person would feel I am weak.

How is THAT not giving in to presure from other people i cant belive you are so arrogant you can tell people that going through with procedures that many people in their positions claimed did wonders for their self esteem is weak and just giving in... it clearly has a positive side to it...

Just because its newer technology and our ancestors couldnt do it doesnt mean its giving in.. Just like using a microwave instead of a stove isnt giving in Its taking advantage of new technology to try to better enjoy your life man.

an i jus wanna add that if u think you cant get rid of ur acne or scars then ur crazy.

for a very long time i thought i couldnt but i did get rid of them. if any of you think theres no way, then you are dead wrong! an ur crazy if u make excuses for why you dont leave your house! i could neva imagine a life outside my house!.

jus thought id add that. hope u all tha best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azzablah, did you just go out on a whim and guess what we were talking about? You certainly did not read, if anything, much at all. To say that you cannot get rid of your scars is quite stupid. There's proof everywhere on this site. You're just extremely ignorant to the truth at this point...

Yeah,maybe you can't spend your life inside your house because of acne,but making people feel stupid for that isn't gonna work.If you just tell someone to go out,would they do it?It is not as simple when there's people that have really been emotionally affected.

So..think about it more.Calling people weak won't work.I agree that going out and doing your best in life and forgetting about the acne is a good idea.But does that mean we have to suck in bad feelings?If we do that,not only about acne,but other things,I guess we will blow up at other people,or at ourselves.Depends on the person of course,but it helps.

See,it is more complicated to some than "You're weak!Go get a life!"

It is not just caring about if you're pretty,and whatever stupid crap.

What about when people put somene down and make them feel like the biggest piece of crap in the world?Those things hurt,when they're about acne,and not about acne.It depends on one's experiences in life,how they will react to this.And if they get put down over and over again,and it wears away their self confidence,who would wanna go out and face the world?People may face the world anyways,but if this has affected them,they might be afraid of more put downs and embarrassment.

MellowYeollow and pablohoney,great posts.

And why stop doing something like acne scar treatment for fear of weakness?Do something because you want to,and if you want to,not for fear of feeling weak.If you wanted to not do it,fine,but you're pretty much telling us that finding treatment is weak and vain.People have something they want to get rid of and it makes them happy.I believe happiness with yourself is important.