Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oneredwine

'Savon de Marseille' Has anyone tried it?

I have suffered from acne for quite a few years now. I recently moved to France, and as I was living with people I'm not used to living with, I wore make up all the time, only removing it to go to bed. One night, at the end of a long day when my make-up was half gone, this guy noticed I had acne and mentioned it. He suggested I use 'Savon de Marseille' and nothing else. He said it's what cured his. At the time, I had just stopped using all kinds of cleansers, the pill, and anything medicated, and was trying out lemon, so I didn't really consider the soap.

Now you might be asking, what on earth IS 'Savon de Marseille'?! Well..

Big blocks of olive-oil based soap were first crafted in the Middle Ages in the South of France. Marseille Soaps are still made on Mediterranean shores and their familiar look and legendary quality remain unchanged. Since 1688 French law has declared that only soaps that are produced by following certain ancient methods, and containing only the purest ingredients, shall bear the famous mark "Savon de Marseille." It takes the Maitre de Savon (soapmaster) two weeks to make Marseille Soap. The delicate mixture of olive and vegetable oils, alkaline ash from sea plants and Mediterranean Sea salted water are heated for ten days in antique cauldrons. Know-how passed down through the generations will reveal to the soapmaker the right moment to pour the mixture into open pits where it slowly hardens. Cut into cubes and stamped, the soaps are then set out to dry in the sun and cool winds. Savon de Marseille is once again being rediscovered for its extraordinary purity and gentle skin care, and its popularity is again on the rise worldwide. Marseille Soap is totally biodegradable, requires little packaging and its manufacture is environmentally friendly. Authentic Marseille Soap is stamped with its weight in grams - a practice left over from years ago which allowed households to compare prices and plan their inventories.

Anyway, a few days ago, my friend ran out of make-up remover, and found a bar of that soap in her house, and used it for a few days, and was SO happy with the results that she made me try it too. And the morning after the night I washed my face with it, I could already see the reduction in redness and the tiny spots starting out completely disappeared. It can be a tiny bit drying, but I apply some Shea Butter, and it's a perfect combination.

I really suggest you give it a try. It is not expensive, and lasts a long time. Also, it does not contain any weird ingredients. ( A label on Savon de Marseille will read:

saponified olive oil or saponified copra and palm kernel oil, vegetable glycerin, salt, water. )

It can be bought on Amazon.fr

Let me know if anyone has tried it out before and what you thought of it! :D