Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am new to Acne.org and this is my first post so bare with me.

I guess I should start off describing my acne and skin type, so here goes..

My skin is a mixture of oily on and around my nose and under my eyes, dry on cheeks and semi normal everywhere else. I would also consider my skin sensitive. My acne I would say is severe. I usually have 5-10 zits(raised) on a normally day, more during a break out. But worst of all, any zit Ive ever had has left a red or brown spot/scar (no depression, just spots) and since I'm 18 and have had acne since I was about 15, Its safe to say my face is almost completely covered in said spots.. SUCKSS talk about a shot to the ego. Anyywayss..

My daily routine is as follows:

Morning+Night

-wash face with warm H20 and Basis cleaner clean face wash

-rinse

-cotton ball with witch hazel

-Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Daily Regenerating Moisture Face

-Bio oil (which I read about is supposed to help get rid of those spots, mixed reviews)

Ive been using this for about a month now, It stated to clear my acne the first 3 weeks, then I had a breakout. (all routines Ive used have done this) I will stick with this until I finish all products up then decide what to do.

Before you make suggestions, some products I have used with no luck are proactiv, acnefree, clean and clear advantage, and TONS of different face washes. I personally believe accutane is the only thing for me. No health insurance tho eusa_wall.gif but I don't think accutane gets rid of the spots.

Anyways, any advise is helpful.

Thanks for your time n effort.

Patrick G

Have you looked into your diet?

For me, I'm cursed to get at least 1 or 2 cystic spots per month because of my period. Though, I found that just drinking a lot of water really helped.

I know it sounds trivial, but my previous semester of school was terrible. I had the worse cystic breakouts. They would come in clusters! I was stressed out from school and I probably wasn't drinking enough water to hydrate myself. Plus, I would drink coffee which dehydrated me. But this year, my mother got me a cute water boiler that dispenses water and I've been drinking water like mad because it was just fun to dispense water (I know, I'm lame). Anyway, my skin has cleared like no other.

I'm not saying dehydration is your problem, but perhaps you should try looking into your diet and see if anything you're eating is triggering your breakouts. Perhaps try to eat only vegetables/fruits for a week, then work your way up to different meats, drinks, etc?

Unfortunately, topical products are not necessarily the solution. I mean, when I was going through my breakout phase a few months ago, I tried a lot of facial products: Murad, Clean&Clear, chemical peels, you name it. And nothing worked. They just end up drying up my skin.

-rinse

gentle cleanser instead (no active ingrediant) and Idk about the witch hazel (what I've heard has been mixed though) you may want to cut that out.

Make sure this is not skin irritating, and non pore cloging if not get a moisturizer specifically geared for acne prone skin.

-Bio oil

No. If your gonna use an oil make it Tea tree oil.

And you have no real acne power, you need something that can fight breakouts. Dry skin is unfortunately something you'll have to deal with, make sure you supplement with a good moisturizer if this concerns you so much. If you don't have insurance 10% BP is the strongest/most proven ingredient you can get. 2.5% will significantly reduce dryness/redness with almost the same level of effectiveness.

Edited by Acne Security

Basis, my current cleanser is supposed to be very gentle. What are some cleansers you would recommend?

I wanted to get some BP but I read somewhere online that they contribute to leaving behind marks where you had acne.?

What are some BP products? Should I get a cleanser with BP in it or just BP by its self?

I should definitely drink more water. The weeks Im good about drinking enough water I notice a difference in breakouts. SO hard to remember to drink enough water tho lol

Thank you guys for your advise and efforts

I'm sure your cleanser is fine then, but Cetaphil is bomb

People hate on BP hard here, it does cause redness, irritation, and drying but there's not much else available OTC, get it in a cream/gel, it doesn't matter if its clean and clear/clearsil/walgreens brand all that makes a difference is the % and weather or not its a cream/gel. never get a cleanser. I substitute tea tree oil for BP myself, maybe try that, less irritating etc.

I understand your frustration, I'm going through a similar form of acne, I'm sure. As of late, I've decided to avoid all products and to wash my face less. I know, it's counterintuitive, but if you do some research on here and on the web, it may actually help people like us.

Personally, I think that my use of BP and various cleansers from my teenage years did more damage. I was always one to use more product because I didn't think it could do any harm. Unfortunately, I think the longterm effects have been poor.

Look through personal regimes and see if there's anything that may help you. Apple cider vinegar is something that you may naturally use as a toner to help with clearing up some of your current pimples.

Best of luck.

Basis, my current cleanser is supposed to be very gentle. What are some cleansers you would recommend?

I wanted to get some BP but I read somewhere online that they contribute to leaving behind marks where you had acne.?

What are some BP products? Should I get a cleanser with BP in it or just BP by its self?

I should definitely drink more water. The weeks Im good about drinking enough water I notice a difference in breakouts. SO hard to remember to drink enough water tho lol

Please dont use BP! You're currently dealing with PIH marks and products with BP will only make it worst :(.. trust me I've been there

.. anyway have you looked into turmeric for acne & PIH marks? Turmeric is an anti-bacterial, anti-septic, and anti-inflammatory and it stopped all my acne dead in their tracks... plus it's getting rid of my PIH marks as well :dance:

I'm sure your cleanser is fine then, but Cetaphil is bomb

People hate on BP hard here, it does cause redness, irritation, and drying but there's not much else available OTC, get it in a cream/gel, it doesn't matter if its clean and clear/clearsil/walgreens brand all that makes a difference is the % and weather or not its a cream/gel. never get a cleanser. I substitute tea tree oil for BP myself, maybe try that, less irritating etc.

why nvr cleansers?? and what about the cetaphil bar of soap, yay or nay?

Ive always been very curious about cetaphil, but the fact that the consistency is like a lotion, kinda turns me away from it.

Ive always been very curious about cetaphil, but the fact that the consistency is like a lotion, kinda turns me away from it.

i know what you mean :doubt: ... i feel like it wouldn't be cleaning my face if it felt like a lotion,

i've gotten so used to my cleansers having those exfoliating beads that anything else just wouldn't feel right :(

it's not at all, its like a cleanser, transparent, and sort of like a thin/watery gel similar to most cleansers

why nvr cleansers?? and what about the cetaphil bar of soap, yay or nay?

its just a waist haha you need an acne ingrediant to be absorbed by your skin, and be on for hours to have any effect, in cleanser form you just hit the outer layer of your skin with redness/drying and its washed off before it can treat acne. You just want your cleanser to remove dirt/oil/impurities without irritating your acne, then if you need acne treatment use a topical afterward that will have time to effect.

& sorry I've never tried the cetaphil bar

Edited by Acne Security

I would NEVER use Bio-Oil on my face. I was using it to try and fade some stretch marks on my chest, and broke out there the whole time. Don't use it on your face!

Ive been using bio oil for about 2 weeks, so far It hasn't broke me out, but then again it hasnt done anything to help :think: idkkk

I HATTE acne

Bio oil has Isopropyl Myristate in it and that's very comedogenic. I'd drop the Bio Oil completely. Try BP or tea tree oil. Or go to a derm. ;)

Lots and lots of water! Vitamins such as A, E, Zinc and B5 work wonders....accutane is what really gave me my life back, perhaps I wasn't patient enough to let the vitamins really do their job (although I did see amazing improvements...just wanted my face to be completely clear). Accutane helped me with my severe, cystic acne and my scars! it takes time and steadfastness to get through accutane but if there is a way to get on it (and if your doc says you need it)...it is a miracle :)

Best of luck...in the meantime try the vitamins, they helped me lots! Eat well and don't use too many products on your face (my doctor said I overdid it and made my acne worse at one time)

I am new to Acne.org and this is my first post so bare with me.

I guess I should start off describing my acne and skin type, so here goes..

My skin is a mixture of oily on and around my nose and under my eyes, dry on cheeks and semi normal everywhere else. I would also consider my skin sensitive. My acne I would say is severe. I usually have 5-10 zits(raised) on a normally day, more during a break out. But worst of all, any zit Ive ever had has left a red or brown spot/scar (no depression, just spots) and since I'm 18 and have had acne since I was about 15, Its safe to say my face is almost completely covered in said spots.. SUCKSS talk about a shot to the ego. Anyywayss..

My daily routine is as follows:

Morning+Night

-rinse

-Bio oil (which I read about is supposed to help get rid of those spots, mixed reviews)

Ive been using this for about a month now, It stated to clear my acne the first 3 weeks, then I had a breakout. (all routines Ive used have done this) I will stick with this until I finish all products up then decide what to do.

Before you make suggestions, some products I have used with no luck are proactiv, acnefree, clean and clear advantage, and TONS of different face washes. I personally believe accutane is the only thing for me. No health insurance tho eusa_wall.gif but I don't think accutane gets rid of the spots.

Anyways, any advise is helpful.

Thanks for your time n effort.

Patrick G

Because im always breaking out, even before the bio oil

Exactly. Now, if your face were completely clear and you used Bio-Oil and it still stayed clear... THEN you would know that the Bio-Oil isn't causing acne. You don't know if it is or isn't since you were already breaking out in the first place. Get it?

Well, I wouldn't say your acne is "Severe". Alot people have it worse than you :) Just try Dans regimen it's working great for me so far.

If BP does make the red marks stay longer where you've had acne, I've found the effect to be temporary. My red marks still fade even when using BP and I'm fair skinned so my marks are pretty dark against my fair skin and they still fade no problem. Dan has a 2.5% bp for sale on this web site and somewhere on the site, he recommends another bp product if you're going to buy it locally.

I should probably drink more water too.