Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't take Accutane, but I am contemplating it. I am aware of the potential side effects and was wondering if anyone has heard of taking vitamins or probiotics with the drug to yield any possible problems of trashing liver/insides? It made sense to me to take something to help restore what your body is being raped of haha. I mean I am currently on Bactrim and take a probiotic with it to restore the 'good bacteria' the antibiotic is destroying, and I take a multi vitamin. Thanks!

You can't take supps containing Vitamin A on Accutane since Accutane is basically an overdose of Vitamin A already.

http://acne.emedtv.com/accutane/accutane-interactions.html

Other supps may help with the side effects of Accutane (do a search), although there's little or no scientific evidence backing them. Your derm knows best.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881

Yea. But sometimes they don't know best, or they don't know answers to the concerns I have regarding prevention of side effects. If anything can be done...Blah. They just know what they usually prescribe their patients. Like I would want to go on a lower does for a longer period of time even if they wanted me on a high does for a shorter period of time. Doesn't that help with the harshness of the drug to your body? I am still researching the investigating. I appreciate your feedback =] I think I checked out your profile...you've taken the tane correct?

all of them! They're all scary! I don't want arthritis, muscles spasms or sore joints, hair loss, crohn's disease, ulcers ETC. I love running, that would ruin my life if it hurt to move. Or my immune system becoming weakened from the drug. There's gotta be things you can do to help protect your bowels/immune system during treatment. Man, or am I overreacting.

You're overreacting but it's understandable as you've been exposed to Accutane smear campaigns since birth, mainly on television correct?

Read this article.

The severe side effects are rare (<1%) while the mild ones are very common, but dose-dependent, manageable and reversible.

Another thing though is that you may relapse post-treatment. 20% of people use Accutane twice.

Edited by biggs881

No not ad campaigns. Don't size me up just yet. I may be young, but I see through bullshit, I am not a sucker for medias version of anything. I am realistic and optimistic, I just wouldn't want any of that shit. And not only that the effects aren't always present at the time of consumption of the drug, I could get the disease years later. But as long as I have clear skin. Until it happens right?

My mom took tetracycline back when she was a teenager for a few years and now in her 50's, has a low white blood cell count, and doesn't fight off infection as well. She correlates this with the long term consumption of tetracycline. I have read the use of low dose antibiotics, particularly from the tetracycline or macrolide families, attack the disease process at its source, namely the infectious agent. Which makes sense that this could happen, but were not sure.

I could be that rare 1% Then I'll be knocking on your door asking for my life back. I am pretty rare, of a different breed actually, I am sure to get something. Just watch. knock on wood. Man I need to get off this site, and stop obsessing. Lets watch the real world? I'm kidding.

You could be one of the <1%, or you could be in a car crash tomorrow.

There's an incredible amount of stigma and media hype associated with this drug, but all drugs have rare severe side effects. Accutane has never been conclusively causally linked to depression/suicide or Chron's disease, despite extensive media coverage to the contrary.

Here's a long-term (~4.9 years) follow-up study of Accutane in 720 acne patients.

If you have any specific questions about Accutane and its side effects (real or purported) I'm happy to answer them.

Edited by biggs881

Biggs,

I think it's great that you're trying to inform people about accutane in a very scientifically backed way, but it's a bit rude when you assume that people are worried about it because of ad campaigns and such. It's reasonable for people to worry about being that 1%, because when you are that 1%, it sucks.

Melie,

When you take accutane, there's this thing called iPledge that you have to agree too which limits you from strenuous exercise, you have to wear sunscreen, eat healthy, things like that. If you follow these restrictions, you should be fine, and that's where the testing comes in. I'm sure you've heard of making sure to get calcium and vitamin d for your bones. There's some research, some conflicting, about supplements like MSM + vitamin c and msm + glucosamine, all of which are purported to help with healthy cells in general. This website is really useful when looking into supplements. In "The Water Secret," I believe Dr.Murad ran his own clinical studies with glucosamine and found it to help with joint/bone related pain, and he does sell it in a supplement, but there's tons of other research out there too. I like to buy supplements from vitacost. The thing is, I don't know if these would interfere with accutane or cause any side effects, so I'd talk to your derm about it.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play...il-supplements/

But why else would people be overly worried about Accutane's severe side effects if the ad campaigns didn't exist? I myself was worried about Accutane's side effects until I researched the drug and realised they were rare like other frequently used drugs, e.g. antibiotics and even ibuprofen.

Do the general public worry about severe side effects from antibiotics or ibuprofen? Maybe they do. But then they realise that the pros outweigh the cons, which is why they're all widely used despite rare horror stories.

I don't mean to take out my frustration on anyone. All the best with whatever you choose.

Edited by biggs881

Oh sure, anything can happen tomorrow. And it's not always going to be a choice biggs, life will be life. But I do have a choice as to what I do with my body. You are probably over stupid people, I can feel it. Yea people are ignorant, but I am not. I am seeking information. Thanks for sharing all of those informative sites, I do appreciate it. And in the end I am sure I will do it. Just don't condescend me, it's uncalled for.

tim12- I know about the ipledge thingy...I am sure I will be "fine", but want to get my head around every possible avenue. Call me crazy? ha..cool I will check that out. As of even now, haven't been in the sun since last summer, eat well and all that good stuff. I will definitely let you know what my doc says. Appreciate.

They worry about the side effects because they have happened to people. That's why. It's harsh as shit on the body. I know that Ibuprofen is bad for you, so is NyQuil. Were all doomed by the medications we take no matter what. It's only a matter of time until something horrible happens to that one person, then there's the recall ad about NyQuil after an ancestry.com commercial with a white guy who finds out his distant second cousin was a slave driver, and he's stoked. ha Sorry I am kinda a jokster, had to add it.

Oh sure, anything can happen tomorrow. And it's not always going to be a choice biggs, life will be life. But I do have a choice as to what I do with my body. You are probably over stupid people, I can feel it. Yea people are ignorant, but I am not. I am seeking information. Thanks for sharing all of those informative sites, I do appreciate it. And in the end I am sure I will do it. Just don't condescend me, it's uncalled for.

tim12- I know about the ipledge thingy...I am sure I will be "fine", but want to get my head around every possible avenue. Call me crazy? ha..cool I will check that out. As of even now, haven't been in the sun since last summer, eat well and all that good stuff. I will definitely let you know what my doc says. Appreciate.

I'm not over stupid people at all. This is not about intelligence whatsoever. Thing is, once a stigma is attached to something it is very difficult to remove, especially if the stigma occurs at an early age. It doesn't really matter how high your IQ is.

This is about providing people with objective balanced information so they can make informed decisions.

Anti-Accutane lawyers on television and on the internet don't do that.

They're the people whom I'm over.

Edited by biggs881

yea stigma, what made you think I was one of those extremists? The generic public never speaks the truth. Sorry Fox News. But yes, I agree, people are stuck to those preconceived ideas and that's that. I just want to know more. And I do appreciate it, the more I am reading and conversing the more I am knowing.

Extremist?

On the contrary, I think it's great that you are open to new information about Accutane. A lot of people aren't.

The point is that many people have an inaccurate preconceived notion of perhaps the only thing that could improve their quality of life just because of profiteering lawyers on television who exaggerate rare side effects that often haven't been proven by science.

You've come to the right place.

Edited by biggs881

I agree, the ad campaigns do play off of that 1% and sued the crap out of La-Roche. My uncle is actually allergic to ibuprofen, my mom wasn't paying attention one time and gave him some for a slight head ache, and we had to take him to the hospital. The general public, no offense to them, is generally misinformed and sadly, their views are often that of what's broadcast on television since it's the main form of information, very few people are proactive (no pun intended) for information. I remember seeing public opinion polls in my political science class that shown a very strong correlation between what was shown on the media, the public's interest in it, and what wasn't shown in the media, and the public's lack of interest. But nevertheless, I think she just wanted to know about the 1%, what to look for, how to minimize the risks, things of that sort.

Personally, I was scared of going to my doctor & derm for a while after I took antibiotics for a popped eustachian tube that got infected, and my then really weak immune system got even worse, so I went through what you could call an extreme holistic phase :lol:. If my current regimen didn't clear me up like it has, I was going to talk to my derm about accutane. Even still, I'm reading a lot of good stuff about the low dose courses, as I'd like to ween off supplements that I take specifically for acne like guggul, especially since I'm probably keeping my acne in check moreso than curing it (a lot of people in my family have had severe nodulocystic acne and severe scarring, so I got really lucky.)

But back to you melie, definitely talk to your derm and figure out the best ways to minimize risks, and if you're in college I'm sure your library's database has even more articles and such on accutane, supplementation, acne, and anything else you're interested in! It certainly helped me out when figuring out my regimen.

Accutane has never been conclusively causally linked to depression/suicide or Chron's disease, despite extensive media coverage to the contrary.

It won't be casually linked to inflammatory bowel disease, because the etiology of inflammatory bowel disease and isotretinoin's mechanism of action are still unknown. But: Retinoids have pleiotropic effects, including natural killer T-cell stimulation, B-cell differentiation, disruption of glycoprotein synthesis and epithelial tissue growth, apoptosis, and alteration of cytokines (12, 28, 29). Therefore, though speculative, the association between isotretinoin and IBD remains biologically plausible.

With the current state of scientific knowledge it's not possible to establish a casual relationship, but the biggest case control study performed to date [covered 21,832 IBD cases] shows that the risk of Ulcerative Colitis was higher in group previously exposed to isotretinoin. The study also showed dose-relationship [higher dose = higher chance of developing IBD] which is a very important factor for "possible" causation.

New Inflammatory Bowel Disease cases were found even 3 to 6 years post treatment, but "the overall risk of developing IBD from isotretinoin is likely QUITE SMALL" [whatever it means].

But maybe you [Melie87] shouldn't listen to some random guy from the internet and maybe you should just check the OFFICIAL accutane pamphlet:

post-143242-1303547289_thumb.jpg

Also, I am aware of lawyers and television attitude towards sensation, but from my knowledge it's not FOX NEWS who performed this STUDY. 13-cis-retinoic acid [isotretinoin] is primary an anti-cancer drug [very systemic chemoterapeutic] used for skin disorders and for many types of cancer. I don't want to explain what chemotherapy is or what it does to your body, because I'm sure you can read about it on the internet. But [in my opinion] the whole "isotretinoin" drama comes from the fact, that this chemotherapy drug is overprescribed to teens with mild acne on a regular basis.

As for vitamins: I am not a doctor, but Fish Oil [Omega 3], Vitamin D [cholecalciferol], Zinc and probiotics helped me a lot. Very interesting thing about OMEGA-3:

In addition, the research establishes that the highest intake of omega 3 fatty acid also known as docosahexanoic acid reduced the probability of developing ulcerative colitis by 77 percent. Omega 3 fatty acid is found in oily fish such as salmon and herring.

Edited by VanceAstro

Melie, I am just letting you know that it is good to be informed, but this is a community message board. Everyone's experiences are different. While it's good to look at both sides of the issue, it is you who will ultimately take the drug whether you decide to go through with it or not. Everyone's body chemistry is different. Whether people are urging you to take it or are you telling you that it is not worth it, these are just people on the internet giving you their opinions. I will tell you that Isotretinoin is very closely monitored and the dermatologist determines what to do based on your lab results. For me, it was worth it but I'm only speaking for myself. Weigh your pros and cons and go from there. I researched and read all about Accutane for close to a year before I asked for a prescription. I knew it was right for me.

Yea I know everyone's diff...and yes I informing myself that is all. I always weigh both side of an issue, to make the most informed decision possible.

Sima- I know this bored is for everyone...how was I singling myself out? Or am I the only one who thought of this (probiotic/accutane)... is my question just boggas? I am not trying to "not include" people...just thought I'd ask. Has nothing to do with me wanting "attention". I wasn't quite sure what your post was intended to portray. I never listen to anyone...I gather information, observe, read and process...I am not easily swayed one way. I've got a strong head on my shoulders.

And to Astro- You do not tell me anything I did not know. I don't "listen to some random guy from the internet" and now I will check out the pamphlet, thanks. I can't help but feel you trying to 'outsmart me'in some way, I hate that on here. Man, I should just go back to high school with my feet on the table and my chair tilted back.

Guest Modestm
The generic public never speaks the truth. Sorry Fox News.

Exactly, and you can be certain that the generic publics' view of isotretinoin is insufficient and no where near the "truth." If you have severe recalitrant acne you will know what to do; if it is mild or moderate, don't risk it; try spironolactone. I also feel you were a little harsh on VanceAstro; he is actually a level headed chap with a great personality IMO. I did not reply to your post because I wanted to out smart anyone: I wanted to make sure the pretty girl in the picture doesn't get into trouble listening to outdated simplifications :think:

Here's a consensus/position statement (November 2010) on Accutane by the American Academy of Dermatologists, comprising members who treat 10s if not 100s of acne patients every year.

It really sums it up perfectly (especially regarding Accutane, depression and inflammatory bowel disease):

"A correlation between isotretinoin use and depression/anxiety symptoms has been suggested but an evidence-based causal relationship has not been established. Other studies give evidence that treatment of acne with isotretinoin was accompanied by improvement of both depressive and anxiety symptoms, as well as improved quality of life of patients with acne."

"Current evidence is insufficient to prove either an association or a causal relationship between isotretinoin use and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in the general population. While some recent studies have suggested such a relationship, further studies are required to conclusively determine if the association or causal relationship exists and/or whether IBD risk may be linked to the presence of severe acne itself."

Edited by biggs881

I appreciate the information given. Don't worry, I look for credibility: when the information took place, under what circumstances including age wise, health wise etc. I am new and appreciate letting me in on tha up-to-date-info. Yea. I can be a mean jelly-bean sometimes, which steams from a multitude of things, mainly just people and their 'pre justices'. I guess its even harder to have a quote on quote convo when all it is is a typed message, and you can't hear me, and see my facial expressions. I asked a question and wanted an answer, all I need is the answer or anything that will help me make this decision. Thanks.

Don't be fooled, it's a small pic, you wish you could see under my mask. Bah.