Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am 30 years old and started getting cystic acne about 6 or 7 years ago. I was devastated as I always got compliments on my flawless skin prior to this. It has hurt my self esteem and affected my social life to the point that sometimes I just cant take the sight of my acne that I dont even want to go out. I have taken acutane along with every other oral antibiotic as well as prescription topical creams and gels. I have tried every over the counter face wash and treatments and proactive and bare minerals as well as expensive facials and chemical peels to rid myself of acne but it never got better. In fact over the last few years it had gotten so much worse.

About two weeks ago, I decided to go to an allergist who after I was tested told me that I was allergic/intolerant to wheat, dairy and soy. He further explained that my immune system had been comprimised from attempting to fight off the constant ingestion of dairy, wheat and soy. He said that because my immune system was so weak my body could not fight off the bacteria in my skin.

Anyway, he put me on an anti-inflammatory diet which mostly consisted of veggies, fruits, organic chicken. Within ONE day my face was clearer, not completely but def clearer. Now its been two weeks and my acne is almost completely gone. The cysts in my cheeks are just no longer under the skin without having them come to a head or having to be popped. They just disappeared!!! I have a lot of scarring which is the next thing I need to address. My family, coworkers and friends just can not believe the difference in my skin!

It is probably gluten as well. If you're allergic to wheat you are allergic to gluten, at least from wheat. You could try other forms of grain with gluten just to see, if you're curious. But know that a lot of the gluten you see on labels is going to be from wheat, and none of it is particularly good for anyone so it's best (and easier, imo) just to avoid all together.

So happy for you that you were able to be tested and find out. I could never afford testing so I had to find out all my allergies on my own, testing myself over a long period of time and seeing what made me break out and what didn't. Those tests are worth your weight in gold! Congrats and enjoy healing. :)

That'll do it. Now if only science could catch up to our discovery... (I do miss my carbs, sometimes)

if its gluten to youll have to diet extra extra strict.

Edited by joris

Can you be more specific on the diet? What kinds of veggies/fruit do you eat and when?

And I've never heard of organic chicken.. LOL to me it's pretty funny when I think of it and idk why..

Anyways.. please answer. :teehee:

I would love to be able to go to an allergist, but I just don't know where to begin. I'm waiting on the results of a cheap hair/stool test to come back, but I think the real deal would be best like you've had done. How did you go about getting the referral? It's not like you can just open up the yellow pages. :)

if its gluten to youll have to diet extra extra strict.

Ha. Gluten free is east. Try being free of all grains + dairy and soy. Now that's a challenge!

Actually, it's easy too. But gluten free is beyond easy with all the available alternative foods now days.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Well, if you think it's hard, tell me exactly what you're having trouble with and I'll try to help. I'll agree it SEEMS hard... it seemed hard for me at the beginning when I was still eating out and eating processed foods... but once I began preparing all my own meals with whole food ingredients it was easy to never have a gluten accident. You can't, as long as you know what you're eating.

But yeah if you have any questions I'll gladly help. :) I'm celiac and have been working on healing myself for years now.

Im dont think im celiac so im not eating that gluten free. Celiacs should never ever ever eat any TRACE amount of gluten. That means they cant eat so many things. You cant live a normal life if your celiac. You cant drink beer/wine. You cant eat any bread any pizza any etc... Also just traces can be annoying. And thats not the whole thing. Most celiacs also react to corn soy rice etc... And some even to eggs and nightshades. If they eat any of those. Only tiny amounts their chances of dieing are a lot higher than normal.

Doesnt sound like easy and no problem to me.

I dont eat a lot of gluten but sometimes I eat something with it. Thats not so hard indeed. But eating absolutely no gluten. Thats hard.

Im dont think im celiac so im not eating that gluten free. Celiacs should never ever ever eat any TRACE amount of gluten. That means they cant eat so many things. You cant live a normal life if your celiac. You cant drink beer/wine. You cant eat any bread any pizza any etc... Also just traces can be annoying. And thats not the whole thing. Most celiacs also react to corn soy rice etc... And some even to eggs and nightshades. If they eat any of those. Only tiny amounts their chances of dieing are a lot higher than normal.

I dont eat a lot of gluten but sometimes I eat something with it. Thats not so hard indeed. But eating absolutely no gluten. Thats hard.

I have a totally unintelligent response. My mind is like, hey, less foods = less work. Sweet. Eliminating a billion foods just means less I have to worry about eating. It's when someone tells me I need to start counting macronutrient ratios and space out water intake with eating and taking shots of lemon every morning and eat 5 billion green smoothies a day I start getting cranky. lol, my logic is a bit weird :P

(note: green smoothies are great, but like I said, I'm a bit lazy) :D

You cant live a normal life if your celiac. You cant drink beer/wine. You cant eat any bread any pizza any etc... Also just traces can be annoying. And thats not the whole thing. Most celiacs also react to corn soy rice etc... And some even to eggs and nightshades. If they eat any of those. Only tiny amounts their chances of dieing are a lot higher than normal.

Well... I suppose we have a very different definition of a "normal life". I have a great life, a life I consider far above average. I love my raw foods diet and don't want a "normal life" I want a better than normal life! I have that, and my diet helped me get there. Didn't fight to get clear healthy skin for years just to sit on the couch drinking beer and eating pizza like all those normal folks. ;) No way, I'm doing some remarkable things with my life. Rock climbing, hiking trails, camping trips, traveling overseas, creating art, writing, gardening, dancing....

I don't know if it's "normal" to drink alcohol either, I sure don't and most people I know don't either, but I suppose one naturally attracts friends similar to themselves.

But you're right, if you want to be "normal" you shouldn't take help from me because I certainly am not. But I do think I can help people have a better than normal life, if they are willing to think outside the box and make some changes.

You can change the world around you vs being imprisoned by it. Make your own rules.

how I understand it from the way it was explained to me is that gluten is a protein inside of wheat so there are many foods which are gluten free but not wheat free...Ive been staying away from both but I am noticing on labels that most items that say wheat free also say gluten free, I guess that makes sense

only allergic to wheat? Not to gluten?

What kind of allergy tests were they?

Well I am fortunate enough to have medical insurance, so all I did was log in online to my health ins website and typed in my zipcode and that's how I found it.

Honestly it does not cost anything to try this diet, the results are so fast that you will probably know if your allergic to wheat and dairy if you try avoiding it for a few days

I would love to be able to go to an allergist, but I just don't know where to begin. I'm waiting on the results of a cheap hair/stool test to come back, but I think the real deal would be best like you've had done. How did you go about getting the referral? It's not like you can just open up the yellow pages. :)

so far for me it is getting easier, at first I panicked and cried hysterically because I felt like I was going to starve to death on this diet.. most restaurants have gluten free menus and also are very accomodating to the allergy, you just have to tell them. Also I found a great pizza place that has gluten free pasta and gluten free pizza dough, I have been ordering a gluten and cheese free pizza with grilled chicken every other day, its delicious also.

I think it is really hard to make the change but once you get the hang of it, it becomes "normal" to you....

You cant live a normal life if your celiac. You cant drink beer/wine. You cant eat any bread any pizza any etc... Also just traces can be annoying. And thats not the whole thing. Most celiacs also react to corn soy rice etc... And some even to eggs and nightshades. If they eat any of those. Only tiny amounts their chances of dieing are a lot higher than normal.

Well... I suppose we have a very different definition of a "normal life". I have a great life, a life I consider far above average. I love my raw foods diet and don't want a "normal life" I want a better than normal life! I have that, and my diet helped me get there. Didn't fight to get clear healthy skin for years just to sit on the couch drinking beer and eating pizza like all those normal folks. ;) No way, I'm doing some remarkable things with my life. Rock climbing, hiking trails, camping trips, traveling overseas, creating art, writing, gardening, dancing....

I don't know if it's "normal" to drink alcohol either, I sure don't and most people I know don't either, but I suppose one naturally attracts friends similar to themselves.

But you're right, if you want to be "normal" you shouldn't take help from me because I certainly am not. But I do think I can help people have a better than normal life, if they are willing to think outside the box and make some changes.

You can change the world around you vs being imprisoned by it. Make your own rules.

on the subject of alcohol isnt vodka allowed for those with gluten sensitivity?

Like I said, gluten is a protein within wheat, so if I am allergic to wheat than I guess I am allergic to gluten also. The doctor said Wheat but the diet I am on is no wheat and no gluten. I got a blood test and a skin test, I dont know what they are called...most importantly my skin is clear, which is all I really care about :)

how I understand it from the way it was explained to me is that gluten is a protein inside of wheat so there are many foods which are gluten free but not wheat free...Ive been staying away from both but I am noticing on labels that most items that say wheat free also say gluten free, I guess that makes sense

only allergic to wheat? Not to gluten?

What kind of allergy tests were they?

Like I said, gluten is a protein within wheat, so if I am allergic to wheat than I guess I am allergic to gluten also. The doctor said Wheat but the diet I am on is no wheat and no gluten. I got a blood test and a skin test, I dont know what they are called...most importantly my skin is clear, which is all I really care about :)

Gluten is a protein in wheat and some other grains. And yes, there are other substances in wheat to which you could be allergic to. I'd get that clarified though.