Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alicecooper

has anyone gone full paleo and still had acne?

strict no grain or dairy.

only meat/fish/veg/fruit and only small amounts of nuts if any at all.

has anyone done this for at least a month and not seen any change?

A month is too short of a time to gauge whether.

After doing almost a decade of damage to our bodies, it's going to take more than a month before your body decides to jump up and say "Ok I'm healthy now."

I know that's not really an answer to your question and chances are you probably won't get a concrete answer because a lot of times when people cure their acne the last thing they wanna do is relive it indirectly on this forum (I don't know why I torture myself like this.)

I think a better question to ask would have been: "Is the Paleo Diet the best diet to control acne?"

And the answer is "it's not going to get much better." There are a few improvements and things I'd add into the diet that many Cavemen wouldn't really agree with (there's still a lot of Paleo dieters who don't really consider Extra Virgin Olive Oil to be Paleo but I would definitely recommend it to be a part of anyone's diet.)

I've been on the candida diet for about 7 months now (started Sept 25, 2010) and still having acne, albeit with maybe about 50% improvement.

Almost all of my diet has been meats (beef/chicken/fish/lamb, at least 50% free range organic), organic free range eggs, non-starchy veggies (only cooked or steamed, about 50% organic), EV coconut oil, EV olive oil, coconut chips, fresh coconuts, avacados, lemons, water, carbonated water, Real brand sea salt.

The only cheat I have is 85% Lindt dark chocolate, with max 1-2 pieces per day (that's 1g to 2.5g of processed sugar).

I have also not used any antifungal/cleansing things other than coconut oil. I didn't want to shock my system or make too much acne come out all at once, so I'm just eating right to let my body heal. I would think 7 months would be enough, but it looks like it's not.

I forgot soaked sunflower seeds - I have a few cups of those every couple of weeks.

I've also lost about 30 lbs and am now officially about 5-10 lbs under-weight ... even though I'm eating about 2 lbs of meats per day, at least 5 tablespoons of coconut oil/olive oil per day, and at least 1/2 cup of coconut chips a day. I am never hungry though - I eat whenever I want and oftentimes more than I want.

I've been paleo for almost two weeks, with a small cheat pretty much every day (ie a cookie) and I have seen improvement, but I'm not sure if its from the diet or not as I was improving before I started. My supplements are a multi, 2g primrose oil (not sure if this is doing anything or not), and a shit ton of flaxseed oil. unrelated but...I forgot to take my flaxseed oil for the past two days and I have a bunch of really small bumps all over my forehead. 8-12 flaxseed oil pills daily wipe these out within 2 days and keep them away.

I've been on the candida diet for about 7 months now (started Sept 25, 2010) and still having acne, albeit with maybe about 50% improvement.

Almost all of my diet has been meats (beef/chicken/fish/lamb, at least 50% free range organic), organic free range eggs, non-starchy veggies (only cooked or steamed, about 50% organic), EV coconut oil, EV olive oil, coconut chips, fresh coconuts, avacados, lemons, water, carbonated water, Real brand sea salt.

The only cheat I have is 85% Lindt dark chocolate, with max 1-2 pieces per day (that's 1g to 2.5g of processed sugar).

I have also not used any antifungal/cleansing things other than coconut oil. I didn't want to shock my system or make too much acne come out all at once, so I'm just eating right to let my body heal. I would think 7 months would be enough, but it looks like it's not.

there was a study in the acne research subforum that linked chocolate with acne. it was 100% pure cocoa also, no sugar. the people who ate the chocolate had increased acne.

there was a study in the acne research subforum that linked chocolate with acne. it was 100% pure cocoa also, no sugar. the people who ate the chocolate had increased acne.

I searched "acne" on cavemanforums.com (a paleo forum) and 3 people said that any and all chocolate breaks them out. I have never NOT eaten dark chocolate so I'm going to cut this out for a while and see how it goes.

If you cheat on this diet you are not doing yourself any favors... basically you're erasing your progress every time you cheat. If you are cheating every day, you ARE NOT doing the diet. Period.

Within a week of giving up all grains I was totally clear. I was close to clear before that from going gluten, corn, dairy and soy free. But it took giving up all grains, rice included, before I began to get the results I was after.

If you cheat on this diet you are not doing yourself any favors... basically you're erasing your progress every time you cheat. If you are cheating every day, you ARE NOT doing the diet. Period.

Within a week of giving up all grains I was totally clear. I was close to clear before that from going gluten, corn, dairy and soy free. But it took giving up all grains, rice included, before I began to get the results I was after.

Thats very interestig...so are you now completely avoiding dairy, soy, amd grains? Are you still clear?

eta: I didn't realize that even the tiniest bit set me back...that would explain why it hasn't completely stopped new breakouts. thanks for the tip :)

Edited by RockingRedhead

I don't eat any soy, corn, dairy, gluten, rice or any other grains. I also avoid most legumes. Every once in a great while I'll have a bowl of black beans or something. I am a raw foodist and eat about 90% raw. My skin is clear and I have more energy than I have ever had in my life on this diet. :)

High fat is not good for acne. I don't know why people still persist with this.

Wikipedia: Insulin Resistance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance

Fat (mono, sat and poly o-6) can all contribute to Insulin Resistance (IR)

Excess calories (easy to overeat fat) can also contribute to IR.

"Dietary fat has long been implicated as a driver of insulin resistance. Studies on animals observed significant insulin resistance in rats after just 3 weeks on a high-fat diet.[7] Large quantities of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated (omega-6) fats all appear to be harmful to rats to some degree, compared to high-starch chow, but saturated fat appears to be the most effective at producing IR.[8] This is partly caused by direct effects of a high-fat diet on blood markers, but, more significantly, ad libitum high-fat diet has the tendency to result in caloric intake that's far in excess of animals' energy needs, resulting in rapid weight gain. "

Too much fruit could also contribute to insulin resistance, as fructose can cause elevated triglyceride levels which contribute to IR.

"Several recent authors suggested that the intake of simple sugars, and particularly fructose, is also a factor that contributes to insulin resistance.[21][22] Fructose is metabolized by the liver into triglycerides, and, as mentioned above, tends to raise their levels in the blood stream. Therefore, it may contribute to insulin resistance through the same mechanisms as the dietary fat. Just like fat, high levels of fructose and/or sucrose induce insulin resistance in rats,[23][24]"

The only way that you can consume a high-fat diet is if you have 5-10% of your calories coming from omega 3 fatty acids.

"The effect of dietary fat is largely or completely overridden if the high-fat diet is modified to contain nontrivial quantities (in excess of 5-10% of total fat intake) of polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids.[8][10][11]"

I know there are some high-fat paleo enthusiasts out there who are certain paleo is good for acne, but there is just an overwhelming amount of research to show that it's not.

Just follow a Low-Glycemic Load diet, with calories evenly spread out evenly over 5-6 meals, don't overconsume fat, sugars or fruit, avoid refined carbs and supplement with omega 3.

It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Surely you know there's something inherintly wrong with eating paleo when your friends and family can eat normally, and I suggest you trust your instincts.

Sorry if this was a bit aggressive, but you can't just ignore the ridiculous amount of evidence against a high-fat diet.........

"Dietary fat has long been implicated as a driver of insulin resistance. Studies on animals observed significant insulin resistance in rats after just 3 weeks on a high-fat diet.[7] Large quantities of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated (omega-6) fats all appear to be harmful to rats to some degree, compared to high-starch chow, but saturated fat appears to be the most effective at producing IR.[8] This is partly caused by direct effects of a high-fat diet on blood markers, but, more significantly, ad libitum high-fat diet has the tendency to result in caloric intake that's far in excess of animals' energy needs, resulting in rapid weight gain. "

Too much fruit could also contribute to insulin resistance, as fructose can cause elevated triglyceride levels which contribute to IR.

"Several recent authors suggested that the intake of simple sugars, and particularly fructose, is also a factor that contributes to insulin resistance.[21][22] Fructose is metabolized by the liver into triglycerides, and, as mentioned above, tends to raise their levels in the blood stream. Therefore, it may contribute to insulin resistance through the same mechanisms as the dietary fat. Just like fat, high levels of fructose and/or sucrose induce insulin resistance in rats,[23][24]"

The only way that you can consume a high-fat diet is if you have 5-10% of your calories coming from omega 3 fatty acids.

"The effect of dietary fat is largely or completely overridden if the high-fat diet is modified to contain nontrivial quantities (in excess of 5-10% of total fat intake) of polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids.[8][10][11]"

I know there are some high-fat paleo enthusiasts out there who are certain paleo is good for acne, but there is just an overwhelming amount of research to show that it's not.

Just follow a Low-Glycemic Load diet, with calories evenly spread out evenly over 5-6 meals, don't overconsume fat, sugars or fruit, avoid refined carbs and supplement with omega 3.

Surely you know there's something inherintly wrong with eating paleo when your friends and family can eat normally, and I suggest you trust your instincts.

Sorry if this was a bit aggressive, but you can't just ignore the ridiculous amount of evidence against a high-fat diet.........

So people have been clearing acne with a high fat diet for years now yet you, because 'science' says its impossible, won't believe it?

No one cares what studies and research says when people have been implementing the diet and find it works more often than not. People still think that eating fat will make you fat just because they constantly hear it on the news, but as everyone (with the slightest clue) knows that simply isn't true. This also goes for your comment on how everyone else eats 'normally'. This normal diet that everyone else consumes is the same diet that people who end up with cancer, cardiovascular problems and diabetes consumed. This 'normal' diet is the one prescribed by the government who have absolutely no interest in the health of its population, and has been proven (both scientifically and in the form of deteriating health) to be extremely unhealthy.

Read Protein Power and it will explain everything i've said in more detail. The book also explains how to REVERSE insulin resistance with a high fat low carb diet, and has been proven to work by the thousands of people the authors have helped over the years.

Sorry to sound so harsh but it is really annoying when people try and fight against a method that has been proven to work by people time and time again.

Edited by ben90

these studies are meaningless unless they tell you the percentage of daily caloric intake is fats. what are they considering is high fat? 90% fats would be considered a high fat diet, but no one in their right mind would be eating this

i believe typically, high fat diets are diets with a total caloric intake of fats of over 30%. I am around 40-50%. BUT I eat a lot of fish, organic free range chicken, GRASS FED BEEF, and organic turkey. All of that will effect the omega ratios and will increase omega 3's. That is not a typical americans source of food and I highly doubt any "high fat diets" include pure sources like those.

And a diet with no grains will, by default, be HIGHER in fat. I would be eating grains but there are too many people who have cured their acne by eliminating them so i must try it.

and LOL at the bold. what does that even mean

Edited by alicecooper

I did the vegan paleo diet. I didn't notice a difference until I removed the grains from of my supplements as well. Also, I've read that some people don't see results if they are eating meat and animal products that comes from animals that are grain-fed. Good luck finding 100% grass fed hen eggs :eh:.

Edited by Dotty1

go to cavemanforum.com and search acne. A lot of people have cleared themselves by switching to paleo.

PS I have a thread under the diet and nutrition called "Acne". I'm RockingRedhead over there too

I did the vegan paleo diet. I didn't notice a difference until I removed the grains from of my supplements as well. Also, I've read that some people don't see results if they are eating meat and animal products that comes from animals that are grain-fed. Good luck finding 100% grass fed hen eggs :eh:.

lol grass fed hen.

pretty sure chickens dont eat grass. they mainly just pick up bugs and junk off the ground i think. the best chicken is the organic free range chicken. i dont think it gets better than that.

cows on the other hand eat primarily grass, not grains or a "vegetarian diet" whatever that means.

Yes.

I ate Paleo for a long time and would still get some acne.

Diet is not a cure for acne. It can certainly make it better though.

first of all, did you COMPLETELY eliminate all grains? no cheating, for months?

did you eat nuts and seeds?

how much fruit did you eat? compared to vegetables

overall how strict was your paleo diet? what was your main sources of food?

Yes.

I ate Paleo for a long time and would still get some acne.

Diet is not a cure for acne. It can certainly make it better though.

first of all, did you COMPLETELY eliminate all grains? no cheating, for months?

did you eat nuts and seeds?

how much fruit did you eat? compared to vegetables

overall how strict was your paleo diet? what was your main sources of food?

I would like to know too... :)

I've had much better results the second time around because I'm more careful about what I eat. I try my best to make sure my meat/eggs were fed a proper diet. It really makes a difference as my body just seems to really not tolerate grains at all.

Hey thread starter, when I tried a paleo diet with large amounts of fruit and nuts it took me something like 5 months to see serious results. Recently I decided to go 0% carbs, meaning I decided to eat nothing but animal products (no dairy though) and coconut fat for frying, just to see what would happen.

I stopped developing acne (and I had cystic acne before that) the next day and now I only get the occasional pimple even though I eat some other stuff as well. I intend to start a thread to advice people to try this almost carnivorous diet as kind of a cleansing method and then gradually add other low-glycemic foods to their diet to see how they react. I know this has worked for other people too, by the way.

Hope this helps.

I tried so hard to stay hardcore paleo, but I find myself with really bad digestion. Maybe I just need to let my body get used to it? Regardless I still don't eat grains/dairy/soy/corn etc etc, but eating more fruit always helps my digestion. But fruit also increases my "snacking" urges, so... :confused:

Yes, I do eat small amounts of meat and eggs. Not much. Mostly eggs is my animal protein, a little chicken sometimes, and even more occasionally some free range organic Bison meat.

I try and keep most of my meals raw vegan, and I eat meat maybe 2-3 times a week and eggs maybe 5 times a week.

To whoever said Paleo didn't work for them, I second (or third) the question of if you did it 100%, because it really is something you can't cheat on. Ever. Not even the tiniest bit. I've tested it by putting a tiny bit of sugar in my tea to sweeten it and within a short time, BAM! Acne forming.

As its been mentioned a few times i'd like to point out that when something is labeled organic/free range it means absolutely nothing when your looking at the nutritional benefits of the food. Most of the time it just means the feed itself is organic and/or the pesticides used meet organic standards!

Unless you can be 100% sure what your getting is grass fed or naturally fed, I wouldn't bother with any organic meat. Only bother with free range if your worried about the welfare, not because you think its nutritionally superior!