Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Habanero

I am new and begging for help!

Hello,

I am a 40 year old woman. I have had acne since I was 12. I have tried everything!

I have been on Accutane 4 times.

I have been on every different antibiotic you can think of.

All the typical topical stuff.

All sorts of vitamins.

Pro biotics and yogurts and acidophulous.

Birth Control.

Since I was 12, I have gradually gone from a junk food diet to one that is purely functional and nutritious. I am a raw food vegan who does not eat sugar at all. I am so healthy and never get sick but I have acne all over my face, back, chest and butt and sometimes a little on my legs. It is not severe but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS there. I cannot wear backless things or even bathing suits. My face always has at least 4 blemishes. I get all types of acne but mostly the deep cyst like acne that will not pop even if you try.

My periods don't seem to make a difference. Make up or no make up has no effect.

The only thing that changes a little is when I get a lot of sun. The sun seems to clear it a lot which is ironic since I am too embarrassed to show my bare skin in the sun.

First of all, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am so desperate at this point that I will try almost anything.

Second of all, does anyone know of a condition that might be causing this other than acne? For example, mites or something like that.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Sounds like it could possibly be a hormone issue; you should have your levels checked.

Keep your head up! Good luck!

Another possibility is to keep to a strict diet. Limit yourself to only meat, fish and vegetables for two weeks (and get plenty of water). Don't cheat even once, and then see after that time if there is any difference at all.

I totally understand your situation...just like me! I tried everything plus two rounds of accutane with no success. I'm now 60 and finally got my cystic acne under control. Actually I could've gotten it under control sooner but I didn't want to use retin-a (tretinoin cream) because I had an initial bad experience with it 10 years ago. The first time I used it I ignored the warnings about waiting 20 minutes after washing to apply it and I also used other topicals along with it and got flaming red blistered skin. However my current derm finally convinced me to try it again but use it correctly. It still took a long time to work but I didn't have inflammation and now my skin looks incredible. I have people tell me I look 45 (no wrinkles!).

Here's how I finally got my skin clear:

2 years ago I started on 5% generic tretinoin cream + 50mg 2x/day spironolactone (to stop androgen hormones from aggravating existing acne). I also took Bactrim (antibiotic) during the first year because I had so many deep cystic plugs pushing out it helped cut down on any inflammation.

Last year the tretinoin cream was upped to 1% and the spironolactone has recently been reduced.

I'm clear now!

So you can see it took awhile. I noticed that after one year on tretinoin cream that less sticky plugs were being pushed out and after almost two years no cysts. It takes awhile but that makes sense especially if the pores are not functioning properly. Tretinoin cream normalizes pores as long as you use it. I'll be using it forever!

I also saw an endocronologist this year just to be safe and make sure my hormones weren't totally out of whack. They weren't. As my derm says my skin is basically sensitive to androgens so we have to do everything we can to lower inflammation (diet, gentle with skin, no harsh acne OTC topicals, no picking, etc.) and make the pores function right.

Another thing to check is food allergies. I did this too recently and was shocked to discover I had some pretty major ones. I did both skin and blood testing.

Hope this helps. It sucks to have cystic acne at our age!

Since the sun helps your acne, I'm wondering if any kind of light therapy would help you. Or like someone else suggested, spiro might help if you haven't tried that yet.