Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SebaceousOne

No acne, but VERY oily skin. 28 year old male. I don't know what else to do. :(

Every time I try something I find online (such as Zinc or B5 or something else), it doesn't help with the oil. I start off excited, thinking, ""Oh, this is gonna be the answer," only to have the oiliness remain.

I'm a 28 year old male. Ever since I was 12 or 13, I've had MAJOR oily skin. I had acne at the ages of 13-18, but for the most part, it went away as soon as I entered my 20s besides the occasional pimples that everyone gets, and I don't care about that. However, the excessively oily skin has never gone away. In the 9th grade, I had washed my face before going to school, and I walked into my first class, and a friend looked at me and said, "Your nose looks all sweaty." Wow, embarrasing! He was right. What he saw was oil coming out of every individual pore on my nose. I could see it as well in certain lights. Well, 14 years later, that STILL happens to me. Not only is it a pain to deal with on my skin, but it makes my hair look limp, nasty, oily, messy before the end of a normal day. I can't go to sleep without waking up with a big old messed up hair-do because of how my hair was pressed against an oily scalp all night.

I don't know what to do. Topicals aren't the answer for me. This is something going on from the inside. A topical will not cure it. It's face, scalp, and even the rest of my body. I occasionally get brown oily patches on my chest because of how much oil my body is producing. I get a thick building up in my ears from all the oil that I can scrape off with my fingernail. Now i'm also getting seborheic demartitis, it appears, but I haven't always had that. Just the past 6 or 7 years, it would seem.

Sorry, just venting. If anyone knows of things I should try, I'm all ears, really. I contacted my doctor yesterday for a referral to an endocrinologist so I can get all my levels checked and everything to see if anything is out of whack. I remember thinking it was possibly my thyroid after reading about that can cause oily skin issues, but the more I read about it, I didn't really match too many symptoms, so it's likely not that. Also, when I was 16, they tested my thyroid to see if it was causing the over oiliness, and at that point in time, was told my thyroid was fine. This is starting to feel a bit hopeless. Whenever I get really oily, I also shed a lot of hair.

Every time I try something I find online (such as Zinc or B5 or something else), it doesn't help with the oil. I start off excited, thinking, ""Oh, this is gonna be the answer," only to have the oiliness remain.

I'm a 28 year old male. Ever since I was 12 or 13, I've had MAJOR oily skin. I had acne at the ages of 13-18, but for the most part, it went away as soon as I entered my 20s besides the occasional pimples that everyone gets, and I don't care about that. However, the excessively oily skin has never gone away. In the 9th grade, I had washed my face before going to school, and I walked into my first class, and a friend looked at me and said, "Your nose looks all sweaty." Wow, embarrasing! He was right. What he saw was oil coming out of every individual pore on my nose. I could see it as well in certain lights. Well, 14 years later, that STILL happens to me. Not only is it a pain to deal with on my skin, but it makes my hair look limp, nasty, oily, messy before the end of a normal day. I can't go to sleep without waking up with a big old messed up hair-do because of how my hair was pressed against an oily scalp all night.

I don't know what to do. Topicals aren't the answer for me. This is something going on from the inside. A topical will not cure it. It's face, scalp, and even the rest of my body. I occasionally get brown oily patches on my chest because of how much oil my body is producing. I get a thick building up in my ears from all the oil that I can scrape off with my fingernail. Now i'm also getting seborheic demartitis, it appears, but I haven't always had that. Just the past 6 or 7 years, it would seem.

Sorry, just venting. If anyone knows of things I should try, I'm all ears, really. I contacted my doctor yesterday for a referral to an endocrinologist so I can get all my levels checked and everything to see if anything is out of whack. I remember thinking it was possibly my thyroid after reading about that can cause oily skin issues, but the more I read about it, I didn't really match too many symptoms, so it's likely not that. Also, when I was 16, they tested my thyroid to see if it was causing the over oiliness, and at that point in time, was told my thyroid was fine. This is starting to feel a bit hopeless. Whenever I get really oily, I also shed a lot of hair.

Maybe you deficient in fatty food, so you body is making an over production of its own?. How much vitamin A and K do you get, what are the type of foods do you eat?.

How much raw food do you eat?.

Do you eat lots of cooked meat?.

How much water do you drink?.

How much milk do you drink?. I ask because this might be a hormonal problem, and milk is filled with artificial ones that are bad for oyu.

What type of water do you drink ?.

Are you on any prescription or non prescription drugs.

how much sun do you get?.

are you fat, fit or or mediocre?.

Oily skin is good to an extent. It will slow down aging,and make you have healthy skin by keeping it moist.

Edited by AthleticHunta

Have you tried keeping all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate GL. Insulin is a master hormones that stimulates the production of other hormones including those involved in oily skin and acne. Excess insulin = excess sebum production.

You also want to consume the right kind of fats: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...30#entry2637530

Going to an endocrinologist sounds like a good idea, yes. Because the oil production doesn't seem isolated, it is probably very much an internal problem.

In the mean time, while still dealing with this...here are "quick fixes" while you figure things out with your endocrinologist:

A matte moisturizer can help you today, not 6 months down the line when your hormones/internal problems are in check. They will prevent the shine. There are also matte powders available that claim to absorb excess oil and prevent shine too (this is makeup, but if you apply the right shade and very little of it, no one will notice). And "beauty blotters" can help too. I think that is the best option for your face for immediate relief. You can just carry them with you, and whenever you use the bathroom, pull one out and dab your face. They will soak up all the oil. Also, dry shampoo is another quick fix if you are in a pinch. It works like a spray, and it absorbs the oil in your hair. You can just spray, brush it out, and your hair will look 10x better. I've used it before, and it's brilliant. It does exactly what it says.

The above things are for immediate relief during the day, but aren't a solution. As for other options that might help (they won't solve your problem altogether, but CAN HELP):

Do you wash with a lathering cleanser? The oil cleansing method can reduce shine. It's cheap, and it's an option. These forums will tell you that everyone gets a lot of success with jojoba oil. I reduced my oil significantly with I removed lathering cleansers. I actually just tried using them again last month, and my oil is back with shine on my nose. I took it out, and my oil production is slowly going down again.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the science behind that, but it kind of goes like: if you strip your face of all that oil, your body is going to go into panic mode and compensate by producing even more oil. You put yourself in a bad cycle.

How often do you wash your hair with shampoo? You don't sound like you are inducing your own oily skin, but even more oil on the scalp can be due to over-washing. I used to have this problem myself, until I started washing with a gentle shampoo (meaning no sulfates or bad alcohols) only every third day. On the other days, I just wash with conditioner. AND, even when I do use shampoo, I only use a dime-size amount on the oiliest places on my scalp. Getting to this point where my scalp slowed down it's oil production took a few weeks of letting my scalp be oily, until my body finally realized it didn't have to keep compensating because I wasn't stripping the oils anymore.

List of good shampoos:

ABBA Pure Color Protect Shampoo 8.45oz: $16.00

ABBA Pure Moisture Shampoo 8.45oz: $14.00

AVEDA Smooth Infusion Shampoo, 8.5-Ounce Bottle: $22.99

ALFA PARF-'Splendore-Hydrate' 9oz:$15.49

ALTERNA - 'Hemp Seed & Cavier'10oz:$16.99

BROCATO - 'Splash' 10oz:$9.45

DEVA -'Curl Low Poo' 12oz:$13.50

ELASTA QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo 8oz: $2.99

ENJOY- all Sulfate-Free 10oz:$12.99

GIOVANNI Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo 8.5 oz: 8.49

J BEVERLY HILLS - 'Fragile-Colour-Safe' : 12oz : $13.05

JONATHAN - 'Moisture' 8.4oz : $20.00

KENRA - 'Platinum' 10oz : $14.40

KIEHL' Sunflower Oil Color Preserving Shampoo 8.5 oz: $18.00

L'ANZA -'Healing Colour Care' 8oz:$16.50

MASTEY- 'Enove Creme Shampoo' 8oz:$9.90

OLE HENRICKSEN - 'Natural Hair Wash' 12oz:$22.00

OSMO- 'Essence Blinding Shine' 9.5oz:$10.99

PAVES PROF- 'Flawless' 8oz:$5.99

PRAVANA-'colour, hydrating, volumizing' 10oz. $12.55

PUREOLOGY-all 3 types 10oz : $21.60

SEXY HAIR- 'Healthy Sexy Soy Milk Chocolate' 13oz: $14.75

TREASURED LOCKS-'Nothing but Nature' Shampoo 10oz : $11.99

WEN Cucumber Aloe Cleansing Conditioner 16oz: $19.60

ZERRAN- 'Sulfate-Free' 8oz : $16.50

Also, lathering body wash might be bad for you too. If you use bars of soap, ditch it.Those are the worst for oily skin. Use creamy body cleansers or gels--nothing that lathers. You might run into people that disagree with this, but for you I would rally steer clear of them. It is your safest bet.

You might experience a transitional phase from this, but don't worry, it will go away and you will greatly benefit from it. Good luck.

Oh, and you mention you shed hair when you get really oily? That is definitely a sign of hormones. Regulating testosterone and DHT sounds like your best bet. You can search the forums for information on how to regulate DHT. Regulating this will help with oil and hair loss.

Oh, and you mention you shed hair when you get really oily? That is definitely a sign of hormones. Regulating testosterone and DHT sounds like your best bet. You can search the forums for information on how to regulate DHT.

Keeping all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate Glycemic load as well as consuming nutrient dense foods so the body has the nutrient needs to regulate itself.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Also a topical application of milk of magnesia absorbs oil. But it's alkaline. Your skin should be acidic so you want to do something to compensate when you use the milk of magnesia like apply an acidic toner such as diluted ACV.

There is another version that isn't milky and I think it's magnesium citrate. It's a clear liquid I've only seen in dollar stores. On the Cosmetics forum there's a lengthy milk of magnesium thread in which many people report using the magnesium citrate instead. I'm guessing it's acidic.

Edited by alternativista

I'm on board with not washing so much. It's probably got internal factors too, but you should definitely stop washing so much and switching to gentle, natural, chemical free cleansers, shampoo, and body washes. Our skin really does overcompensate when we strip the oils out constantly. And some people just overcompensate more than others, and that appears to be you. So give it a try!

Do you wash with a lathering cleanser? The oil cleansing method can reduce shine. It's cheap, and it's an option. These forums will tell you that everyone gets a lot of success with jojoba oil. I reduced my oil significantly with I removed lathering cleansers. I actually just tried using them again last month, and my oil is back with shine on my nose. I took it out, and my oil production is slowly going down again.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the science behind that, but it kind of goes like: if you strip your face of all that oil, your body is going to go into panic mode and compensate by producing even more oil. You put yourself in a bad cycle.

That's ridiculous! Washing your skin doesn't affect how much oil it produces, or cause it to "compensate" by producing even more oil. That's just a silly Urban Myth which has been dealt with numerous times on these forums.

I have to agree with the above posts, excessive washing is counterproductive and will stimulate your pores to over produce oil, notice how your face always gets tight and super matte after you wash you face--for like 15 MINUTES, and then goes superoily.thats whats happening. whatever you do, TAKE POWDERED VITAMIN C ( buffered with calcium ) it keeps your skin tissue constantly regnerating, leaving your pores TIGHT and your skin smooth and glowing. That is what has eradicated my oily skin. I used to have really oily skin too, I had this blunt bangs type hair cut through out high school but looking back at pictures, i never realized that my bangs were soaked in oil and just came down in thin strands all the time :S. Well oily skin is the least of my problems now.

and dont waste your time and money with topical short term solutions, if you find the nutritional root of your problem, youll save yourself tons of money from gimmicks and unnecessary cleansers and lotions, they are good complimentary treatment but focus on the root. But if your going to use something topical, use magnesium milk, itsa natural oil absorbing liquid that goes on white/clearish and dries , keeping your face matte for a few hours--its like 9 bucks for a huge bottle at the drugstore.

Edited by gojibear

If you are really serious about improving your condition and your life, you HAVE to go internal. Try the Paleo challenge for a month, no cheating. You just have to ask yourself how dedicated are you to an improved life?

If you are really serious about improving your condition and your life, you HAVE to go internal. Try the Paleo challenge for a month, no cheating. You just have to ask yourself how dedicated are you to an improved life?

Definitely do Paleo. I've been on it for about 2 years with fantastic results. You won't regret it, but you have to be consistent and patient. Nothing else is going to help unless you fix your problem internally.

I have to agree with the above posts, excessive washing is counterproductive and will stimulate your pores to over produce oil, notice how your face always gets tight and super matte after you wash you face--for like 15 MINUTES, and then goes superoily.thats whats happening.

Your face doesn't go "superoily" after washing, unless you just normally produce a lot of oil! :)

Don't believe me? Do a test on yourself scientifically, and you'll see that I'm telling you the truth. Order yourself some Sebutape Skin Indicators (with a Google search, you can easily find the phone number of the company in Dallas that manufactures and sells them...they cost about 40 cents apiece, and you can order a roll of them for testing purposes). You can do simple tests on yourself with the Skin Indicators that will clearly show you that washing your face has no effect on how oily if gets. It will get oily, REGARDLESS of how much (or how little) you wash your face! ;)

I have to agree with the above posts, excessive washing is counterproductive and will stimulate your pores to over produce oil, notice how your face always gets tight and super matte after you wash you face--for like 15 MINUTES, and then goes superoily.thats whats happening.

Your face doesn't go "superoily" after washing, unless you just normally produce a lot of oil! :)

Don't believe me? Do a test on yourself scientifically, and you'll see that I'm telling you the truth. Order yourself some Sebutape Skin Indicators (with a Google search, you can easily find the phone number of the company in Dallas that manufactures and sells them...they cost about 40 cents apiece, and you can order a roll of them for testing purposes). You can do simple tests on yourself with the Skin Indicators that will clearly show you that washing your face has no effect on how oily if gets. It will get oily, REGARDLESS of how much (or how little) you wash your face! ;)

I agree with both of you. Because you have a problem with oil, overwashing can aggravate it but agreeing with Bryan, it will not CAUSE it. Saying it's because of overwashing is saying you somehow can control this. If it was so easy to control, you wouldn't have a problem. It's all due to what's going on inside. Something isn't right, whether it's from your diet or not, diet will definetly help the health of you body. A healthy body will not nee to produce such excess oil.

The most significant influence on the amount of sebum that your sebaceous glands produce (and release onto the surface of your skin) is androgenic stimulation. Various other hormones probably have some effect on it, too, and I suppose even diet may affect it to some extent. But BY FAR the main thing is androgens! That's why young, pre-pubertal children produce a tiny level of sebum that's barely even measurable, as do people with CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome). Estrogens have the opposite effect of androgens: they suppress the formation of sebum. But one thing which has no effect at all on how much sebum you produce is what I've been talking about for years on acne.org: how much you wash your skin! Your sebaceous glands don't know how much you do that, and (perhaps more importantly) they don't carehow much you do it! :D

Five years ago I created a thread on the "Acne Research" forum which I titled "FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", in which I described in detail the experiment I did on myself to see whether or not severe washing had any effect at all on how much oil I secreted on my face. I did the test scientifically, using the same Sebutape Skin Indicators that I recommended to a previous poster in this thread. I spent a period of almost 10 days by not washing my face AT ALL, not even with water, and not touching it or wiping it in any way. I measured how much sebum it was producing after that period by using the Sebutape Skin Indicators.

Then I did the opposite of that: I washed the hell out of my forehead by scrubbing it with Ivory soap VIGOROUSLY 5-6 times a day, for more than a full week (about 7 1/2 days). All that washing during that period of time was making the skin on my forehead so sensitive and irritated, it was actually causing me a pretty fair amount of PAIN!! :shock: But I stuck to it for the 7 1/2 days, and measured the sebum on my forehead again with the Sebutape Skin Indicators. Not surprising to me at all, there was no change at all in how much oil my forehead produced, between not washing it at all, and washing the HELL out of it!

Edited by bryan