Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadrashed

emu oil on accutane

hello,

Im about a week away from the end of my 4 month 70mg course of roaccutane, i only have about 1 or maybe 2 actives but my face is covered in red marks so it looks like ive still got acne however my skin is smooth, my skintone is also really uneven. Ive got some emu oil because i was hoping it would help heal the red marks whilst moisturising and decreasing the redness of my face. So far its been an ok moisturiser and has decreased the redness of my face however i havnt seen much improvement with the red marks. How long does emu oil take to work and how effective is it? has anybody had success with emu oil and red marks?

thanks for reading

I am in the exact same position. My acne is almost completely gone but my face still looks horrible where I have tonnes of red marks. Nobody would believe my skin is smooth from how it looks. I'm on about my 3rd month of accutane and recently bought some emu oil. I would also be interested in anyone's experience with emu oil while on accutane?

wow you really are in the same position haha, i'll let you know how it goes for me. It's so frustrating that the acne is basically gone but still appears there!

Elk I must have really sensitive skin or something. I couldn't imagine putting emu oil on my face during accutane. Ask your doctor for biafine. They give it burn victims. It aids healing.

I will definitely ask my dermatologist about biafine, I have an appointment in three days luckily :). The emu oil is yet to do anything to improve my skin so far but atleast it hasn't broken me out, which I guess is a kind of positive experience so far. I'll keep using it until I get to the derm on Tuesday.

Some of these marks have just been there for so long and I know if they were gone my face would look completely flawless, its so frustrating!

I feel ya. I hit my head on a moving ceiling fan in Oct. And the wound barely left a scar I put biafine on it constantly. I still spot treat with it o my inactive zits. I'll be using a lot of it on my accutane course. ;-)

thanks for the reply lipslikesugar, ill look into biafine. im still going to give emu oil a shot though, its not aggressive at all infact its really gentle.

It may just be me be deceiving myself, but I could swear the red marks have started fading. Hopefully the emu oil is doing some good but like I said, it could all be in my head :shifty:

I'll update in a while when I know for sure if these marks are on the way out

haha, exactly the same here, either way its been a good moisturiser and hasn't caused me to break out (i think) ive had the odd spot appear out of nowhere when i wake up but i don't know whether thats emu oil or unsurfaced spots surfacing :/ thanks for the update :D

Hahahaha that is so bizarre! I have had exactly the same experience! I'm starting to think we're the same person :P Its been a great moisturizer and I have also had a couple of odd spots which I wouldn't have expected but not enough to call a "break-out" and I don't know if it's anything to do with the emu oil.

Thanks for your (shockingly similar) update :D

hey jake, i took my last pill today, so far i think emu oils worked however, i hope to see more improvement now that my skin should slowly start to repair itself and thicken up to its before accutane state. Healings slow on accutane so i didnt expenct it to do miracles whilst i was on it, hopefully it should be able top work to its full potential now haha. Good luck with the accutane! as for me i have loaads of red marks to deal with now :dry:

Hey, congratulations! I've still got about 6 weeks on roaccutane left I think. Yeah I've seen a little improvement but as you said, its probably a lot harder to get rid of red marks whilst on roaccutane because of thinner skin. Let me know how the emu oil works out now that you're off roaccutane, that way I'll know whether it'll be my cure after I've done my course :)

Good luck with the red marks, I'm sure they'll fade, despite how insanely annoying it is to have to deal with them after getting rid of acne :dry:

Good luck!

hey, ive been off accutane for over a week now and my side effects are the same so it's not really fair to judge how effective emu oil is yet. I'm going to persavere with emu oil and hope it works until the bottle is empty, but after that i think im going to leave it :/ I havn't really seen any drastic results yet but it hasn't been a complete waste of time, if i ever went back on accutane i would definitely get some more. Good luck with yours, ill let you know how its going in a weeks time again :)

hey, it's been 2 weeks since my last pill and my skins still dry and fragile but im still using the emu oil. Nothings really changed, i think that emu oil works great for current marks and inflammation but it doesn't work for older marks. Your marks do look a bit better once you have finished because the redness of your face and skin quality improves which just looks better overall. I've still got some emu oil left an will finish the bottle but i think my next step is wait for my skin to recover and then do some home acid peels. Good luck with yours!

oh and by the way, has emu oil caused you to break out at all yet? because after finishing my course im starting to get some mini breakouts every now and then?