Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quezie

Should the BP be making me break out? 2 weeks in.

I've been following the regime now for 14 days, and I have more pimples than I did before starting the regime. I can't remember my skin looking this pimply since junior high. :eh:

I use Spectro's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, Olay's complete all day moisturizer for sensitive skin with SPF 15 + jojoba oil, and Spectro's face wash for sensitive dry skin.

So my question is, is benzoyl peroxide doing its job by bringing these pimples to the surface? They've been popping up like crazy these past two weeks, and it feels like I'm going backwards rather than making progress.

I've read that plenty of times looking for an answer.

My skin hasn't gotten any clearer at all since day one, I'm developing more and more pimples every day. I'm now in week 3, and my skin hasn't improved AT ALL, like I said it is a lot worse than it was when I began.

I've read that plenty of times looking for an answer.

My skin hasn't gotten any clearer at all since day one, I'm developing more and more pimples every day. I'm now in week 3, and my skin hasn't improved AT ALL, like I said it is a lot worse than it was when I began.

Well, if your very oily like me, i would say stop using BP altogether as it does dry up your entire face making you produce much more oil than you used to before. This is why you are feeling the Initial breakout phase. Now The IB phase is supposed to 1) signal your face that there is a change happening in your surroundings (ie face) and 2) that over time your face has to gradually adapt to benzoyl peroxide.

Does skin actually adapt to BP and "get used to it"?? That is the big question...sadly for me it didnt'. As i am extremely oily, BP only made me Breakout even more , BUT i also felt that sometimes it actually worked. I have had BAD and Good experiences with BP and i have long stopped using BP as the redness and scaling caused by BP never went away and i used it for about a year and a half non stop. BP doesn't cure acne, accutane is the only thing that comes close to that promise.

So if you do have oily skin, then try using Moisturizing Neutrogena Salicylic acid gels and lotions for your face or Triderma redness Repair cream. I have tried those products and other products such of the kind and have given as good or even Better results than the BP stuff.

But just make sure to follow your gut feeling when it comes time to decide how long is too long to be on a product that Doesn't necessarily say it cures Acne only HELPS CONTROL IT. What does CONTROL mean anyway? Control it by 10% or by 98% ?

Just be smart about expectations...treat your skin more soothingly and more gentle is my motto...that's why i try moisturizing acne cleansers rather than overdrying products such as BP...

BUT i will say this, I still Panoxyl Acne Wash 2.5% only on my nose, because that's the only product that has helped clear up my Black heads in my nose. So Bp may work for some things , but i try to usually leave it on my skin for no more than 1 minute ( to combat the overdrying effects).

Hope this helped somewhat.

I stopped the regimen last night after three and a half weeks. I coulndn't take the flakiness, i think it made me more paranoid to the acne! I've also had a massive cystic outbreak. I have several active cysts at the moment but i can count about 22 including all the ones that are drying up. I cry about 5 times a day about it. For me bp didn't work and i wasn't willing to give it any longer with all that flakiness. I looked like a freak show!

I sure my skin looks the tiniest bit better from not applying bp last night but its probably wishful thinking!