Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaggedyAnne

My Accutane Adventure (Round 4)

My first time posting but not my first time on the Tane.

I'm 23, and started yesterday on 80mg/day dose. This is my first time taking it in the US and this iPledge system seems totally insane and inefficient to me! Small price to pay though :)

Anyway, the positive message is that I'm delighted because I know it works, and I know I'm able to take it religiously and take care of my skin while on it this time.

Pictures to come soon (don't want to show them but hopefully soon this skin will be a laughable distant memory...)

I'm excited to share experiences with other people going through it and see people's progress!

If you're a girl, have you tried hormonal approaches to treating your acne like BCP or Spironolactone?

If you're a girl, have you tried hormonal approaches to treating your acne like BCP or Spironolactone?

Knew I forgot some stats! Yes I'm a girl. I had all androgens checked and was checked for PCOS and there was no issue. I was told everything was normal and that hormonal approaches were not the obvious approach. I also react badly to the birth control pill so I was wary of doing it.

If this doesn't provide a semi-permanent solution, though, I'll try it for sure :)

I was first on Accutane at 13, then at 15, then at 19. I think the biggest reason it didn't work the first few times is that I was too young and too distracted to approach it the right way, and was put on too low a dose (30 mg for three months).

Knew I forgot some stats! Yes I'm a girl. I had all androgens checked and was checked for PCOS and there was no issue. I was told everything was normal and that hormonal approaches were not the obvious approach. I also react badly to the birth control pill so I was wary of doing it.

If this doesn't provide a semi-permanent solution, though, I'll try it for sure :)

I was first on Accutane at 13, then at 15, then at 19. I think the biggest reason it didn't work the first few times is that I was too young and too distracted to approach it the right way, and was put on too low a dose (30 mg for three months).

To minimise the chance of your acne relapsing post-treatment, you should aim for a cumulative dose of 120-150 mg/kg for this course. So if you weigh, say, 50 kg then you should take 6000 - 7500 mg in total. Note that even if you get the ideal cumulative dose of 120-150 mg/kg that doesn't mean that you definitely won't relapse, but it seems to give you the best chance.

I suggest you talk to your derm about this.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/292/6/726.full.pdf+html

Edited by biggs881

Thanks for the info and the link Biggs! The plan this time is 5 months on 80mg and I weigh 60kg so I guess that comes out to about 197.5mg/kg cumulatively.

That may be a bit much, but the derm thinks it's best to be aggressive in my course this time (and so do I!) Aaanyway:

Day 5

Feeling kinda dry and breaking out, which I'm excited about because I am really hoping for a swift and icky purge for the sake of clearer skin sooner :)

I bought Cetaphil cleanser the other day on the suggestion of many on the blog--only to discover it doesn't remove my makeup!

(I wear some pretty heavy duty Clinique make-up. I know I shouldn't but it's really a god-send for keeping me from hiding in my room all day)

I have been using the Cetaphil in the morning and need to get something a little bit stronger for the evenings to take my makeup off, but that isn't an exfoliating scrub--any ideas??

Good luck to everyone with their accutane adventures!

-Anna

Thanks for the info and the link Biggs! The plan this time is 5 months on 80mg and I weigh 60kg so I guess that comes out to about 197.5mg/kg cumulatively.

That may be a bit much, but the derm thinks it's best to be aggressive in my course this time (and so do I!) Aaanyway:

Day 5

Feeling kinda dry and breaking out, which I'm excited about because I am really hoping for a swift and icky purge for the sake of clearer skin sooner :)

I bought Cetaphil cleanser the other day on the suggestion of many on the blog--only to discover it doesn't remove my makeup!

(I wear some pretty heavy duty Clinique make-up. I know I shouldn't but it's really a god-send for keeping me from hiding in my room all day)

I have been using the Cetaphil in the morning and need to get something a little bit stronger for the evenings to take my makeup off, but that isn't an exfoliating scrub--any ideas??

Good luck to everyone with their accutane adventures!

-Anna

Hey I know this is your 4th course and you are on 80mg, but I am on 40mg and today was my 4th day on my first course! Good Luck and keep in touch with your progress!!

ps....here is my log

purpose does a pretty good job of taking off make-up. I also like the neutrogena make-up remover wipes, they are very moisturizing.

Thanks! I got something called "Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash" today at the drug store. I don't know if it is the one you meant, but it was 6 bucks so I figured I'd see how it goes. Thanks for the tip and I hope it'll work! (I nearly ripped my face off last night trying to use my usual benzoyl peroxide scrub stuff...ouch!)

Day 7

Tonight I'll take my 7th dose of Claravis and thought I would write a little update on the side effects so far.

I'm starting the purge I think--or at least just breaking out a bit--because I grew two cysts around my mouth overnight, and bother are pretty huge and it would normally take several days for things that big to materalise on my face. Ick.

I have a bunch of little bumps under my jawline (where I've never had zits) that are now coming up, and I am going to chalk those up to Accutane too.

My skin has been a little tight and dry, but I've been actively moisturising morning and night since day 1 to lessen the flaking that I know is coming. Last time I felt like a snake shedding its skin, but there was something oddly satisfying about it too.

It's great to know that it's starting to do something and I will soon be acne free!

Too bad I can't go out in the sun and have a few drinks though... it was a lovely day in New York yesterday!

Day 7

Tonight I'll take my 7th dose of Claravis and thought I would write a little update on the side effects so far.

I'm starting the purge I think--or at least just breaking out a bit--because I grew two cysts around my mouth overnight, and bother are pretty huge and it would normally take several days for things that big to materalise on my face. Ick.

I have a bunch of little bumps under my jawline (where I've never had zits) that are now coming up, and I am going to chalk those up to Accutane too.

My skin has been a little tight and dry, but I've been actively moisturising morning and night since day 1 to lessen the flaking that I know is coming. Last time I felt like a snake shedding its skin, but there was something oddly satisfying about it too.

It's great to know that it's starting to do something and I will soon be acne free!

Too bad I can't go out in the sun and have a few drinks though... it was a lovely day in New York yesterday!

You're Side effects are coming so much quicker being on the higher dose! I have yet to experience anything; however, my face may be all around less oily. Or come to think of it, it may just be in my head... Have you tried using aquaphor at night to combat the dry skin? Good Luck!

You're Side effects are coming so much quicker being on the higher dose! I have yet to experience anything; however, my face may be all around less oily. Or come to think of it, it may just be in my head... Have you tried using aquaphor at night to combat the dry skin? Good Luck!

Day 11

I don't know if it's the accutane or because of the monthly timing but I look AWFUL! It seems too early on to be having all these side effects but maybe it's because I'm on such a high dose for my weight, but my skin is:

-covered in cysts

-ashen

-dry

-tired looking and

-generally icky.

Ugh. I have four cysts on my right cheek, two on my left, four around my mouth and one smack-dab in the middle of my forehead, ah! As the cherry on top, every pore on my face has decided to gigant-ify. Sorry if this has been gross, just thought I would mention my woes to this site to avoid discussing it over dinner or something :P

Anyone else have these type of side-effects so early?? This never happened to me on previous courses...eep.

purpose does a pretty good job of taking off make-up. I also like the neutrogena make-up remover wipes, they are very moisturizing.

Thanks! I got something called "Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash" today at the drug store. I don't know if it is the one you meant, but it was 6 bucks so I figured I'd see how it goes. Thanks for the tip and I hope it'll work! (I nearly ripped my face off last night trying to use my usual benzoyl peroxide scrub stuff...ouch!)

Yes that is the cleanser I was talking about. I love it!

Day 15 (about)

So things are really starting to melt down. I feel like I'm on a bit of a rollercoaster ride right now! Side effects are really starting to set in and I'm starting to wonder if the dosage may be just a teensy bit too high for me... Eep!

I've had the itchiest scalp of all time recently (which I've never had before). It was to the point that I actually resorted to rubbing Eucerin all over my scalp before bed--which made a lovely glue helmet type thing. I woke up in t he middle of that night itching again and ended up running ot have a shower and used about half a bottle of conditioner and just left it in, ah! It feels slightly better now but jeesh!

My face is broken out like crazy and--at the risk of soundign completely gross--clogged pores are just kinda falling out of my face at random (gross but reassuring).

My forehead went nuts last week but has completely cleared up now, my right cheek and my entire jawline are covered completely in zits and cysts, but I guess this is all par for the course.

I have a rash on my hands and neck, and I my lips are cracking and bleeding at the corners but tonnes of moisturizer and lobello seem to be helping both.

I'm feeling positive (mostly because I've been off work this week and haven't had to see people) and pretty excited to have this breakout phase over. I'm hoping the high dose and extreme side effects mean that the rough phase will be over more quickly!

I'm nervous to post pictures but I have a few from about a year ago, sadly none from right before the accutane (too embarrassed) and am debating whether I should take some at this stage so that I can feel great later about how far I've come. It's hard to believe that that day will come while in the midst of the awful breakout but I know clear skin is coming some day!

Good luck to you all! xx

Starting Month Two!

Things have VASTLY improved in the last week. I've not had skin this clear in a very long time. It was getting progressively worse and then almost overnight, it just flattened out. It's very scarred and there are still two big cysts (one my by ear and one by my cheek) and a litte bit of acne along the jawline but SO much better.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say that I'm delighted so far and can't wait to see how much better it gets in the next few months!

xpx Anna

Day 114

Wow the time really does fly-- I can't believe it's been so long since I posted, but I thought I should give a little update on the progress.

My skin is AWESOME. I can't believe how well it is working. My skin went through the purging stages (and to some extent is still quietly purging the little pores on my nose) and now is completely without pimples. Literally, not a one!

It's glowing (and BRIGHT red accutane face if I get embarrassed or sweaty, but I keep telling myself that it's youthful ;) ) and I'm really delighted with the results.

I've got another three months to go so I guess from here on out it'll be just making sure nothing comes back.

As for side effects:

-slightly dry mouth

-occasional snake-like shedding in the shower, that uncovers nicer, healthier skin than the day before

-old sports injury in my ankle slightly more stiff than usual but nothing unmanageable.

And that's it! After the 2nd month I basically stopped putting tonnes of creams and gels and lip balms all over myself and just let it be. I stopped washing my face (unless I had worn makeup) and just scrubbed my face with a facecloth.

The result: way less dependency on lip balms etc, less dry lips and face!

So all in all, as you might have gathered, I"m delighted and hope to offer some little bit of a comfort to those people just starting out.

I had two full months of terrible breakouts after starting Accutane but I can say, even on the fourth try, it's totally worth it.

i'm glad to hear things are working out so greatly :) i hope i get to where you are now soon!

Does the risk of serious side effects like Inflammatory Bowel Disease/Crohn’s Disease increase the more courses you take?