Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to find a good derm who's compassionate, confident and empathetic about my situation. I have an apt in an hour. I'm hoping it goes well. I'm hoping he can offer me some hope. I'm also scared of what they'll say. For some reason my first appointments with derms always scare me and I know why.

That one female derm that I saw two years ago really left a mark. I entered her room and began to stare at me very strangely. My mom was with me at the time. She looks at my mom and says there is nothing I can do for your daughter. There's something else going on with her. Then she looks at me and asks "why are your eyes glazed, you're stoned aren't you." Mind you, I always look high. Kinda like mila kunis. I just have those kinda eyes. And I trried to explain to her that I had allergies and that my eyes are just always like this. She wouldn't listen and she began to tell me that there was nothing she or any derm could do for me and that god gave me acne to be humble.

I walked out of there feeling like a monster.

;-(

And my acne wasn't even classified as "moderate"

Sounds like a jerk of a derm! I can't imagine them being so insensitive. I'm sure this one will be much nicer :) lol & smh @ her whole 'humble' remark, apparently god made her a dermatologist to be a snob :3

Going to a dermatologist may feel like the hardest thing in the world to do, but it is also the best thing you can do if you have acne.

Let us know how it goes xx

If you're still here, make sure to bring up past things you've used, especially if there was anything prescribed, since I'm assuming you're trying to get accutane. Best of luck!

Ladies and gents..... Cassandra has found her king of derms. ;-) That went amazingly well. I'm fully confident he will take care of me. He said we should give accutane a shot. Direct quote, "Normally if you were to come in here to request accutane I would prob not give it out but I'm looking at you like you're my daughter, and you're saying Dad I can't deal with this anymore."

I also expressed my concerns of damage from past chemical peels and possibly having dermatitis. He said, "Honey, you just have acne, I'm going to take good care of you."

So what do you guys think? Is it all in my head? He also suggested getting on 40 mg a day. I think I may want to fight and say 20 mg a day.

*laughing* He also said that 6 out 7 of kids have been on accutane. That made me fully confident. ;-)

Let me know what you guys think?

Ladies and gents..... Cassandra has found her king of derms. ;-) That went amazingly well. I'm fully confident he will take care of me. He said we should give accutane a shot. Direct quote, "Normally if you were to come in here to request accutane I would prob not give it out but I'm looking at you like you're my daughter, and you're saying Dad I can't deal with this anymore."

I also expressed my concerns of damage from past chemical peels and possibly having dermatitis. He said, "Honey, you just have acne, I'm going to take good care of you."

So what do you guys think? Is it all in my head? He also suggested getting on 40 mg a day. I think I may want to fight and say 20 mg a day.

*laughing* He also said that 6 out 7 of [his] kids have been on accutane. That made me fully confident. ;-)

Let me know what you guys think?

Edited by biggs881

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be tested and whatnot, so he'll know if you need to lower the dosage, plus he's seen other patients and stuff. I hope it works out great for you!

Edited by tim12

What do you think biggs?

I'm confident that he knows what he's doing. ;-) That was another main concern of mine. I want to be supervised by a derm that knows his stuff.

What do you think biggs?

I'm confident that he knows what he's doing. ;-) That was another main concern of mine. I want to be supervised by a derm that knows his stuff.

You've tried antibiotics and BCP right?

Listen to your derm. That highlighted quote says it all.

Edited by biggs881

Wow, that's really cool! I'm glad you finally found a derm you can trust.

How much do you weight? I would suggest you start with 20mg a day for the first month so your body can get used to the drug.

I'm starting month 2 tomorrow and I already see so much improvement.

Good luck :)

Wow, I can't believe she said that D : I don't think god gave anyone acne, maybe he did? I doubt it, ances part of life. She sounds like a jerk! Good thing you found a real dermatologist! : ) he sounds nice and like he cares!

Yeah I agree I think 40 mg is too high. I weigh around 105to 109 it depends on what I'm eating I was thinking would it he good to just wash your face every third day? Has anybody done something like that? Just mosturized and washed a couple times a week?

i took 20mg for the first month too, and i weigh pretty much the same as you (103-107). i dont think youll need to skip days of washing your face though, i wash mine everyday, and im on 40mg now, but my face hasnt been dry, so maybe if you do get that dry you could try that? ive never heard of anyone doing that though

Edited by YourStar

I noticed that the majority of female derms suck, they're very impersonal and rude. I've had bad experiences with derms and I think it's really important you find a good derm you can stick with. Anyway good luck with accutane hope it works for you

Okay wow that is absolutely ridiculous. She sounds like some sort of spiritual healer than a doctor, and a bad one at that.

She studied medicine to use it, not to attribute a disease to personality or anything intrinsic!! I'm so sorry you went through that. I've had a bad derm experience too, and people like that need to know that acne can be a gross and overall uncomfortable topic for some people. That person shouldn't even have a job for judging her patients like that. I found an excellent derm, and your derm sounds like he knows what he's doing. Hang in there!