Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
candynotacne

Accutane 10mg/day log for ?? months

Acne condition: Mild-moderate. affecting only cheeks, jawline and around mouth.

Also using facewash, toner, cream, sunblock that the doctor provided. It stings upon adding to face. Might be due to sensitive skin.

This log is for information purposes so that people like me on low dosage have a rough idea of whats gonna happen. Sorry for starting the log so late on week 3 as I was lazy to start one. But anyways, doctor said he would put me on 10mg for the first month and see how things go.

Accutane taken once a day after a fatty lunch meal to assist absorption. As i have rather rough palms, i use them to exfoliate my face when there arent any active pimples only after thoroughly washing my hands.

Start of Week 1:

- 2 pimples on head and scars/pigmentation. gone in 2 days.

- lips started getting dry

End of week 1:

- 4 small pimples appeared in the morning and cleared by the next day.

- lips are now chapped and i need to use chapsticks.

- Blackheads on nose disappeared.

- Hardly any oil on skin and the amount maintained the same throughout the WHOLE DAY.

- I also start realizing that i have to drink about 3 litres of water a day and started to get tired fast, which caused me to daze out at work easily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 2:

Start of week 2:

- Blackheads on cheeks start surfacing and sticking halfway out of the skin.

- Experiences a little back ache when bending down to reach for stuff. im not sure if this ache is relevant to accutane though.

- Skin started to get really itchy especially when sleeping. I often wake up scratching my face.

End of week 2:

- Blackheads on cheeks gone

- Skin starting to get shinier

- 2 large pimples appeared on cheeks filled with pus. Disappeared after 2 days.

- Noticed one spot on my face skin starting to give off sticky fluids that seem like plasma. These formed into skin the next day and the affected area is painful to touch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 3:

Start of week 3:

- Lip skin started to become drier and tear off.

- 4 large pimples have formed around my cheeks. I guess its the IB phase that people have been talking about. They take about 1 day to form fully and another day to dry and drop off as a scab.

Day 20:

- 2 large pimples and 6 small pimples formed spread around my cheeks.

- Tonnes of whiteheads getting purged out of skin.

- I also got my first nosebleed i ever had in singapore after rubbing my itchy nose hard. that's HOW DRY accutane makes you.

Day 21:

- 2 new large pimples formed alongside at my jawline.

- pimples on day 20 have dried and dropped off.

- Im beginning to sleep more than usual too. An hour nap in the afternoon + 9 hours at night.

End of week 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by candynotacne

day 22:

Not much differences besides 1 tiny pimple appeared above my lip. skin is getting drier but lips are getting less chapped. weird :blink:. The red marks left by the pimples are also standing out. I wonder if accutane will cause the red marks to go away :question:

Day 27:

Only 2 small pimples barely noticeable popped up today.Whiteheads on my nose are starting to form again even when my skin doesnt produce almost any oil anymore. My Skin, lips and hair are not getting any more drier. No other side effects. looks like this is the part where it starts getting better.

Guess ill only post when there are significant changes if not it will be pointless.

Edited by candynotacne

Day 28:

2 new pimples (normal sized like on those advertisements) in between my eyes and on my left cheek. they seem to take longer to dry up and drop off too.

my lips is now always peeling at the ends and has patches of skin missing, so its kind of more red at certain areas of my lips. And I have to moisturize my lips every 5 minutes.

The red marks left by the pimples are also much more obvious today. maybe its cause of my irregular patterns of sleep lately and reduced consumption of water.

day 32:

Doctor decided to bump my dosage up to 20mg. and its my second day on 20mg. my skin is starting to produced oil again since i started on 20mg although there are no more breakouts.

day 42:

One new pimple on my left and right cheek. They dried up within 1 day though. Area around nose is now clear of pimples but the blackheads left are more noticeable so i decided to squeeze them out yesterday and applied some aloe vera gel. Lets see how my skin reacts to that..

Lips still chapped but hardly noticeable by drinking water to wet the lips then immediately applying lipbalm to trap the moisture.

im also on chlorpheniramine to aid my sleeping due to unusual sleeping hours and have not experienced any side effects.

Eating lots of pizza has seemed to increase my oil production for awhile. Candies, ice cream, a little fast food and chocolate doesnt seem to make a difference in my acne condition.

Nothing besides those.

Day 60:

Have been busy and havent had much changes till now, hence the late post. New pimple on my chin and above my lip. Seemed to have these for a couple of days already. Its considered weird since they always clear up in 1-2 days.

The previous night, my face got itchy while i was sleeping so i just scratched it. Left a red mark behind with a scab over it this morning. Whats worse is that i started to form 1 cyst on my left cheek and 3 pimples along my jawline and 1 more on my nose bridge too. I didnt touch the cyst area ( cheek ) so i dunt think it has to do with the scratching much. Considering that i rarely get cysts, im getting rather worried about the effects of accutane.

The doctor said during accutane, NO PIMPLES are even suppose to form, hence his going to increase the strength of his other medications which im on too, to further decrease oil production. He doesnt prescribe above 20mg so thats a bummer... ill try going down again to ask for 40 mg..

Anyways, since taking accutane, yes, my skin surely has been less oily and pimple formation has been reduced from about weekly to every 2 weeks but changes have been rather confusing. From the start till now, its been getting better with 1 or 2 pimples per 2 weeks, and now its getting much worse with more pimples and a cyst. From what i read in the forums, it always gets worse before better, and mine is..... well... like a roller coaster. maybe the dosage isint high enough.

Need some advice on whats going on. Anyone out there with similar experiences? or know whats going on?

Even on your dose of 20 mg/day (0.33 mg/kg/day) you will probably clear in 4-6 months since you have only mild-moderate facial acne.

Good luck

day 62: i did a gentle squeeze on the cyst. it seems barely noticeable now. all the pimples have dried up and have left a red mark behind as usual :cry: . Nothing else has changed besides these.

Additional side effects: starting to experience a little backache

sorry for the late post cause i was in london for 2 weeks and internet wasnt common in the countryside. However during this 2 weeks, i have had the most cysts ever in my accutane course and possibly in my years of acne. i had 4 cysts during the 2 weeks trip: 2 on my right cheek, 1 on my left cheek, 1 behind my sideburn (in front of my ear) which is an area i have never had pimples before. A couple of pimples also came along with the cysts on my left and right cheeks.

Im not sure if it has to do with the diet cause some people eat fast food all day while on accutane and seem to be fine. but anyway, every meal more or less has around 30g of fat ( food is london is just full of it), thats 120g since i take 4 meals a day.

The weather there is also very dry, which causes the skin to scale even if i exfoliated 10 mins before going out. my lips even starting cracking at times.

Day 82:

right now i have 2 pimples along my left jawline and 2 on my right cheekbone. the pimple behind my sideburn is still there too after 3 days.

As for the side effects, i experience body aches more easily now. My dry skin and lips are also getting less dry. and i have to exfoliate my skin in the shower for 10 mins now, if not it will be all scaly the next morning.

Im not sure if it is much contributed by the new whitener my doctor gave me, but my red marks have become visibly better in a very long time.

day 85: no new pimples yet. I also missed out on 2 days accutane accidentally.

side effects: backbone ache at hip area, dry lips although less dry than usual. ever since i changed my face wash and toner from what the doctor prescribed to commercial ones, more eczema have appeared on my face in response to the toner and tighter skin feeling after using the face wash. 2 eczema on my left cheek and 1 on my right cheek to be more accurate. they are also taking longer than usual to clear up.

day 91: 2 new pimples on my right jawline and left jawline. face skin also seem to peel less now although my lips still peel as much. skin dryness is less now but still a little dry. my pimples also seem to be moving towards the side of my face and popping out less near the nose.

i also saw a post earlier on differin and thought i might as well mention that i was on differin for 3 months before starting on accutane. it didnt reduce my skin's oil production and didnt stop the pimples much although it did help my skin peel alot.

side effects: back ache easily when i exercise it unlike before. lips still dry and peeling.

day 109: 1 new cyst on my left cheek. still having dry lips that peel all the time despite lip balm

new side effects: none

day 115: 2 new pimples on my right cheek and jawline. 2 new pimples on my left side of my mouth and left cheek bone.

day 112:

the 2 pimples on my left cheek formed into cysts. The initial cyst dropped off yesterday and the other 2 only today.

I squeezed my blackhead about 5 days ago. it seems to still be swollen red now, but getting better. Guess i shall not squeeze anymore.

Goodluck man. I started on 10mg daily TODAY, my acne is pretty mild too so I'm gonna give 10mg a day a good run and see how it works.

Goodluck man. I started on 10mg daily TODAY, my acne is pretty mild too so I'm gonna give 10mg a day a good run and see how it works.

Good luck to you too man, my doctor bumped my dose up from 10mg to 20mg after the first month. remember to get a blood test though, it goes hard on the liver.

Day 121:

One pimple on my left cheek and one on my right side burn thats been there for a day already. can feel another one growing at right side burn again and another bump coming up on my right cheek. ran out of sunblock and went under the sun for about 5 minutes twice, twice a day, for two days although im not sure if it makes a difference.

new side effects: dry skin, it heals slower ( forms scab slower and drops off slower ). itchy skin at random areas. dry eyes.

comments: now on my 5th month of accutane and im still getting pimples every week or two, a little less than once a week as compared to before accutane. i really hope that it will stop when it reaches the end of the 6th month and i wunt be one of the unlucky ones where accutane doesnt work *fingers crossed*. Even if it does heal, i still have to worry about keeping it that way while healing those red marks. Acne is such a pain in the a**

Edited by candynotacne

day 123: two pimples that previously formed dropped off. the bump on my right cheek also formed.

new side effects: none.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

day 127: the bump on my right cheek popped on its own while i was bathing. another pimple formed on my left cheek.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

day 128: pimple on left cheek dried up and fell off. old blackheads starting to get pushed out of skin and dropping off while exfoliating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

day 130: nothing new. but i seem to think theres a correlation of sleep and exposure to sunlight to pimples formed. ill try posting my sleeping hours and amount of time exposed to sunlight from now on.

Sleep last night: went to bed from 1.30am- 12.15pm.

Exposure to sunlight: None.

Guest Timehealsall

did you experience any indented scarring whilst on accutane?

did you experience any indented scarring whilst on accutane?

none that i noticed of. when i started accutane, the skin beside my nose was covered with ice pick scars rather deep and my skin on my cheeks were uneven. and now its less noticeable cause the pores have shrunk a bit by around 50% i think. the skin tone is also more even which makes the scars less noticeable. And the skin texture is more even cause of the constant tonnes of skin shedding.

If this is of any help, I had a small crater dent on my right cheek about 5 yrs ago caused by a cystic acne which i kept squeezing. measured about 0.3cm by 0.3cm and the skin was slightly dented in ( about 1/4 mm ) instead of convex. altho i forgot how long it took to become unnoticeable, it is now unnoticeable.

Day 131:

no changes.

Sleep last night: 3.30am- 8.30 am. then 9am - 1am.

sunlight exposure: none

Guest Timehealsall

it shrunk your pores? Wow thats cool.

how big were your pores prior to tane?

it shrunk your pores? Wow thats cool.

how big were your pores prior to tane?

yea is did. kindda surprised me too :). i guess its one of the initial main benefits.

my pores before tane were noticeable if you stand in front of me. there were ice pick scar-like pores before and are around 0.3mm. they are still around now but are much less "deeper" than before so its hardly noticeable when you stand in front of me.

Sun exposure has always been kept to maybe around 5 minutes under direct sun for weekdays and none for weekends.

Day 133: 12.30am-9am

Day 134: 12.30am-10am

Day 135: 12am-8.30am

Day 136: 4am- 10am, pimple on right cheek

day 137: 5am-1am, pimple on right cheek gone.

day 138: 2am-10am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

day 139: 1am-10am, left cheek pimple

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

day 140: 1.30am-10am

day 141:

pimple on left cheek kindda came off on its own when i was washing my face. its grown bigger now. gonna be end of 5th month and still getting pimples... :/

Sorry for late post. Had a huge project and just finished it. during the last month, ive only had 2 pimples (1 on my right cheek beside my nose and another below my left temple) despite my inconsistent and hectic sleeping schedule (some days i sleep from 1am- 8am, some days i sleep from 5am- 12pm or 7am till 2 pm). so i guess its doesnt play much of a role. but i seem to notice that the blemishes are more obvious when i sleep less or at bad hours ( going to bed after 1am and waking up late). Although it doesnt seem to play much of a role, i certainly have a better day if i sleep early and wake up early. I will report the changes as i attempt to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 6.30am from now on.

2nd last post

4 months after stopping accutane

Results:

Pimples- 2 pimples appeared 1 week after stopping accutane but no pimples have appeared since then.

Skin oiliness- Skin has returned to its usual oiliness about 4 days after stopping accutane. But despite the oiliness now, i dunt get any pimples.

Blemishes- Blemishes that come and go during the last 6 years are now 50% less noticeable although I have no idea which persisted for years or are new.

Scars- Scars seem the same and have not improved. Although having less blemishes and a more even skin tone do make them less noticeable.

Pores- Pores have increased in size again after stopping accutane.

Side effects- Joints seem to crackle more. There was a slight tingling sensation at my upper right abdomen and sometimes a sharp pain when i slouch during the course of accutane which got worse over time and appeared in the later stages around the 6th month. I was more frequently thirsty

All in all, i have been pimple free for about 4 months post- accutane now which has reduced the blemishes and given them time to heal. Accutane has also reduced the chances for scars to develop as there are less pimples and reduced pore size and oiliness during its course. Even so, there were side effects like drier skin, creaky joints that were both maybe due to the drying effect of accutane and a slight pain/tingling in my upper right abdomen when i slouch. Liver functions (AST and ALT levels) were normal during my accutane course. The slight pain/tingling at my upper right abdomen is slowly fading after stopping accutane, suggesting its relavence to accutane.

Hope this info helps someone! :)