Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guy with acne

Accutane as first-step therapy for mild acne?

Hi there,

I want to start off by saying that my acne is not very severe. I may include a pic of my acne over the weekend.

I've tried the benzoyl peroxide regimen with no real success. I have not tried any prescription medications. I am now 23 y/o and would like to start Accutane. I've had acne since I was in 6th grade. It's never bothered me all throughout high school or in undergraduate until recently. Ever since I entered a pharmacy program, I feel very self-conscious about my acne when talking with people and patients.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who started Accutane right from the get-go without having to go through preferred therapies.

never mind! just noticed that Isotretinoin isn't part of my prescription formulary and thus won't be covered. :( I guess I will have to visit a dermatologist and go through the process

Edited by Guy with acne

how far along are you in pharmacy? i am in pharmacy too right now and just about done with my third year (6 year program). i would think that someone who is in pharmacy school would know that there are better options than accutane. accutane is a serious drug. i understand acne is a serious matter as well but accutane may do irreversible damage to your kidneys and liver, as well as other organs. just wait till you take pathophysiology and you'll understand what i mean.

there are better options than accutane.

There are "safer" options than accutane, not "better".

But maybe I am wrong and you know a better sebum-surpressive drug?

Feel free to tell us the name.

Edited by VanceAstro

how far along are you in pharmacy? i am in pharmacy too right now and just about done with my third year (6 year program). i would think that someone who is in pharmacy school would know that there are better options than accutane. accutane is a serious drug. i understand acne is a serious matter as well but accutane may do irreversible damage to your kidneys and liver, as well as other organs. just wait till you take pathophysiology and you'll understand what i mean.

Quite inaccurate and condescending for a budding Pharmacist.

If Accutane causes irreversible kidney/liver damage then it is extremely rare like on other drugs. One of the reasons that you get regular blood tests on Accutane is to prevent organ damage. Transient elevations in liver enzymes are common on Accutane, but these are almost always clinically insignificant and reversible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.proxy.library....pubmed/12171680

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.proxy.library....pubmed/12037453

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.proxy.library....pubmed/15730082

Please read this article and then the thread in my signature.

Edited by biggs881

I am about to finish my P1 year so no therapeutic courses just yet.