Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmaguy115

My Differin Log. 7 Weeks In.

So I will begin updating my log on a weekly basis from now on, not only to use to keep track of my own progress, but to provide some information on how effect differin can be for others.

I am currently 18 and have been suffering from mild acne for almost 4 years now. I have always had acne prone skin and sensetive skin through my teenage years, but last summer I was determined to find a soluation. I had tried Skin ID, Proactive, and handfuls of other behind the counter treatments for my acne, but never found a solution. August of 2010, I started visting a dermotologist where I was put on several medications. Medications including clindamycin (gel and liquid), sulficidemide phosphate (gel and liquid), doxycycline, and a couple of suggested over the counter creams.

Only medication that seemed to give me noticeable results were the antibiotics, 100mg daily of doxycycline. Stop seeing acne along my jawline and cheeks as much, but still had acne. My dermotologist told me to stick to phosphate and clindamycin after i had been using it for 3 months and seen absoultly no progress. I decided to stop seeing my dermotologist and turned to another dermotologist that seemed to have a better reputation. I was prescribed Acanya and Differin my first visit, along with doxycycline. I hope my first visit with my new dermotologist was the last, but only time will tell.

My Regimen Includes:

Morning:

-Aveeno moisturizing bar

(Great for dry skin, have tried all sorts of moisturizers but none have helped me nearly as much as aveeno bar. Check it out, great product!)

-100 mg Doxycline

-Acanya

Afternoon:

Come home from school

and wash face with Aveeno Moisturizing bar

Night:

Aveeno moisturizing bar

DIFFERIN....DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Workout 4-6 times a week

Eat well balanced meal

At least 7 hours of sleep

Lots of water

Multivitamin, Fishoil, and vitamin A pill daily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1:

WOW! My face was pretty clear for first week. Not sure if it was the acanya that helped significantly clear up my face, or the differin, but boy was i happy. I tried to convince myself that I might be one of the lucky few who wouldn't experience an IB. I was wrong.....

Week 2:

Face started to experience a mild break out. A couple pimples there, a couple here. Nothing too drastic, i was content. Was using nuetrogena oil free acne wash during this week and noticed my skin getting very red. I was exfoliating too much with the medication i was using, ditched the cleanser, looked for something with out sasylic acid and BP.

Week 3:

My spring break week! However, my skin decided to unleash all hell. I got massive breakouts along my jawline and around my mouth. two cystic pimples right next to each other on jawline, other large white heads started forming. I knew differin was kicking in, but i hated admiting it. Used Proactives BP facewash and nuetrogena oil removing cleanser back to back, was sorta frustraited with the IB that i wasn't sure what to use

Week 4:

Still having breakouts, not nearly as bad as week 3 but still getting breakouts! Differin is making my skin very dry, same with Acanya. Keep having to apply moisturizer back to back. Bought DML moisuturizer but havn't seen any long term changes. Hard to smile/eat/ laugh without my skin cracking and flaking. Horrible week.

Week 5:

Experiencing breakouts and still unsatisfied. Several large whiteheads and a couple cystic pimples. Still having very dry skin, getting sick of applying moisturizer during the day. Used my Nuetrogena Oil removing cleanser early in the week, and for first time ever, the cleanser totally tore apart my pimples. It has caused ripps on the surface of the pimples and cause them to bleed, even the cystic pimple was bleeding on surface. My face looked so gross and red from all the damage it had done. Threw away the cleanser right after I used it. Later that weekend I bought my aveeno moisturizing bar. Aveeno Moisturizing bar worked wonders for me. Skin is far from being as dry as it once was. Seeing great improvment in how dry it once was. Skin cleared up early in the week to! Maybe a pimple the entire week. Was convinced my IB was over and my skin would get only better. All the waiting was starting to pay off!

Week 6:

Early into this week and I am having a mild breakout. Cystic pimple by my nose, which I havn't had in years, and whiteheads along jawline, forhead, and once or two on cheeks. Another cystic pimple on bottom of my chin. Breaking out on side of my face too, between cheek and ear. Getting frustrated, but trying to look in the mirror as little as possible. Hoping the purging is coming to an end.

Edited by mmaguy115

I'm on the start of week 7 as well. I might take up your advise on the aveeno bar. I'm going to do some research on it before hand, but differin completely dries me out and then my faces goes crazy producing oil in response to the drying effect. Btw I'm still breaking out into week 7 too...I feel your pain and also avoid the mirror as much as possible haha!

I'm on the start of week 7 as well. I might take up your advise on the aveeno bar. I'm going to do some research on it before hand, but differin completely dries me out and then my faces goes crazy producing oil in response to the drying effect. Btw I'm still breaking out into week 7 too...I feel your pain and also avoid the mirror as much as possible haha!

Definitely give it a shot. Best moisturizer I've used and deffinatly better then all the creams and gels i've used before.

Update:

Week 6 End: Acne started to slowly clear up. Taking time....

Week 7: Seeing pretty noticeable improvements in my face each and every day. A few white heads, still some scarring from the entire IB. No cysts this week so theres a potential sign that my skin is getting there. Started getting a minor breakout on day 6 of my week 8, on last day of week 7 and i have maybe 3-5 small pimples. Hoping they will go away soon!

Changing up my regimen, with the breakouts from Differin still continuing, but are becoming smaller and smaller break outs, I am going to replace my aveeno bar with Acne.org BP Cleanser and adding some Jojoba oil into my Aloe Vera for moisturizer. Will still use aveeno bar for mid day.

Hoping my skin is clear by beginning of summer. Really sick of always being upset over my skin, its been so long that I have worried for my skin that I am really wanting it to come to an end. I've been stuck in this nightmare for too long.

Edited by mmaguy115

Got the aveeno bar and LOVE IT! Thanks for the tip...I'm working on week 8 as we speak and I'm starting to get clearer skin, slowly but surely! My skin isn't dry thanks to aveeno, so I'm adding BP (as recommended by my derm) to help clear up the remaining few lurkers! Best of luck with the BP wash if you try it...hopefully it won't over dry your skin

Got the aveeno bar and LOVE IT! Thanks for the tip...I'm working on week 8 as we speak and I'm starting to get clearer skin, slowly but surely! My skin isn't dry thanks to aveeno, so I'm adding BP (as recommended by my derm) to help clear up the remaining few lurkers! Best of luck with the BP wash if you try it...hopefully it won't over dry your skin

Glad to hear! Im switch over to Dan's BP cleanser only because my skin seems to be more prone to breaking out with differin. My whole differin experience is taking longer then normal, but I'm seeing results too! Hope things go well for you too!

I Hated differin, it stung and I used it for 8 weeks straight with no improvements :(, thats great it's working for you though! the only thing i've seen improvements with is Dan's AHA+

Week 8: The week went decently. A Few white heads still popping up back to back. Today, towards end of week, I have almost 5 whiteheads and a few other red marks that I am hoping will fade away tonight. Frustration is really beginning to sink in. 9 Weeks and I cant seem to have my face stop producing white heads. Still no cysts, so ill keep the complaining to a minimum. I just got Jojoaba oil in today, bought it off a seller on ebay who makes it and adds vitamin E to it, maybe the addition of jojoba and vitamin E will help clear up my face. Keeping my fingers crossed only because I have a hard time believing that small additions, such as jojoba oil and/or vitamin e, to your regimen will actually clear up acne. But maybe for once Ill get a break.

Did a mid day wash with Dan's BP cleanser and added some of the oil to aloe vera. Applied my aloe vera and my skin feels really smooth. I like the jojoba oil so far, no complaints here.

Also started using Dan's BP Cleanser, it is very gentle and smooth when applying. I hope that the cleanser will help cut down on these annoying white heads.

As far as the Differin goes, its beginning to make me upset like I said before. I've put a lot of patience and faith into Differin and all i have seen so far are minor improvements and then break outs. I will say that the break outs are not as bad as they use to be, but on the other hand differin typically makes people break out even worse then normal.

I have faith in Differin and I know that it takes sometimes longer to fully kick in for others. Graduation from high school is may 25th, I hope by then my face will be under control. If not, I will continue to use differin until I see my dermatologist June 16th. If I cant seem to get the results I want by then, I am going to sincerely ask my dermatologist to put my on acutane. Although my acne is mild, I am constantly facing depression because of it. Always wanting to avoid certain social events because of my acne and I am just sick of it. But thats just how I am on myself. I look at my body and I say "I wish this was better....or that was better...." meanwhile I get people who tell me I look very well built and jacked. I'm always so rough on myself and am convinced people always see the bad qualities in me.

I don't want to get rid of acne to please the people around me, I want to get rid of acne to please myself. I wish that I could relive the days growing up where I could go at least once a day without worrying about my skin. I want this shit to end...

Edited by mmaguy115

Last day of week 8 and things are horrible. I have spotted a cystic pimple on my chin, more little white heads around mouth and jawline.

Beginning to think that I've wasted time and money using differin. Although im not positive, but I believe that the IB I had with differin has cause my skin to scar dramatically and has just left it in ruins.

I was hoping for clear skin when I started Differin and all I have gotten so far is rough weeks of new acne.

Calling my derm tomorrow and seeing if I can set up new appointment asap. I can wait another month and 8 days.

Edited by mmaguy115

Week 9:

update. 4-5 small whiteheads on bottom left side of chin. Popped them carefully, did some ice treatment, and will continue with regimen. Right side looks good. Called dermotologist today, ended up going from appointment the 17 of june to tomorrow! Guess someone is giving me a break for once. We'll see what he thinks, hopefully ill find an answer to my acne for once.

Edited by mmaguy115

Had a 8 am visit with my derm this morning. Told him whats going on with skin. Suggested some other retanoids to use since differin is somewhat weak. Rather then taking a chance with another retinoid, seeing if it reacts poorly to my skin, or another IB, i told him i would satisfied with the .3% differin. Seeing as i know differin causes no negative reactions to my skin, except the IB, i decided a stronger version may do the trick faster.

He also prescribed my doxycycline, USP 40mg. Said something about it being more effective because 30mg of it is immediate release and 10mg is release. Not sure about the difference between the Doxycycline 40mg USP and the doxycycline 100mg. Btw, the 40mg was oracea. If anyone can tell me the difference I would appreciate it.

Now that I am starting the stronger Differin, I will begin to change my log to days instead of weeks. Today is the start

Day 65: (Day 1 of .3%)

A few white heads one cystic pimple. Tonight I continue the journey.

Day 73: (Day 10 of .3%)

Things are slowly getting better, at least i hope. I still have a couple of tiny white heads that are popping up on occasion. Added Proactiv Mask to my regimen, only because i figured i need to start exfoliating more often to get rid of these white heads. Could be getting them from the Jojoba oil, since it is know to have an IB for first 2 weeks. Week 2 of jojoba oil is friday. I am really hoping that by june 5th (3 months of use ) everything will be cleared up. Its coming up close and I'm hoping that differin starts kicking in full throttle. If not, I will stop my use of differin, head back to derm and go from there. Hangin on and sticking with differin.

Edited by mmaguy115

Day 76: The Last Day of This Bullshit

Well as of today, I am done with Differin. I realized after doing several research on sulfur, that my best shot at clearing up my skin will be with sulfur products. BP works decently for me, syalic acid doesn't do anything, but sulfur works wonders for me. I realized this after I had noticed how fast and how well my skin clears up with the Proactiv Refining Mask, sulfur based. Personally, I believe every single Proactiv product is shit, but the mask is their one good product. I decided to do more research on sulfur and came across this forum post here

and found that it has helped lots of people.

I've never in my life tried a sulfur acne product other then the refining mask because of the simple fact, its never in stores. I had to search a bunch of local walgreens until i came across De La Cruz 10% sulfur cream. I added some into my aloe vera mix and applied it. No side effects right away, but I will hope that since my face responds well to the proactiv mask, this will work wonders for me. My Acanya prescribed cream barely does anything for me. Its 2.5% BP and 1.2% clindamycin. With previous experience to BP I know that it works minimally for me and that clindamycin doesn't do anything but sit on surface of my skin. Beginning to think that for most people, Dermotologists don't do there job as well as they should. I was prescribed clindamycin 3 times, with 3 different products. You would think that after 2 attempts the dermotologist would know by now that its a waste of time.

As far as differin is concerned, I realized that I've spent 76 days hoping for some change, but only getting some minor change for a couple of days before a break out occurs. Also, its done nothing by scar my face. Lots of hyperpigmentation from the acne that Differin created on my face. I will stop with the use of any retinoids in the future, works for some people but for others it just makes matters worse.

My exposure to Sulfur and its side effects for me has made me realize that its time to stop running on false hopes and to move on. Its also led me to rant about how much I hate prescription medication ecause it has done nothing for me, except doxycycline. I hope the best of wishes to those who are using Differin and to urge them to continue with it, but for those who are experiencing break outs still so late in the game, move on. Its easy to say that I wish i never started using differin, but sometimes in life you just have to learn things the hard way.