Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TDNB

Dry skin and pimples?

It seems like the general consensus is that acne-prone skin is oily or combination.

My skin is for the most part just really dry.

Even if have been using no products except gentle wash and moisturizing.

So if excess sebum production isn't causing the blockage, what could it be?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

your dry skin is catalyzing the shedding of dead skin cells. The dead skin cells are causing the blockage more so than your sebum right now = more acne than if your skin was not overly dry. Take your skin from really dry to normal by cutting out whatever is drying it or moisturizing. Shes right^ exfoliate afterward, not while its dry. That should help get rid of all the execs dead skin, but could irritate you currently dry skin, hopefully you have more patience than me ;]

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I had SUPER dry skin AND acne. Im talking flakes of skin were constantly on/falling off my face it was so dry.

I tried everything! Everything! I was buying expensive department store moisturizers, even ponds cold cream which is pretty much car grease. Both made my acne worse, and my dry skin didnt get better.

Im now using cetaphil gentle cleanser at night, no water, just wiping it off with a tissue. Then I follow up with their moisturizer, and my skin is finally not dry.

I agree with those who said no exfoliating. I'm not convinced skin NEEDS to be exfoliated. I was using gentle everyday stuff just once a week and it made my acne and dry skin so much worse. Then I switched and just used a washcloth with my cleanser and even that was too much. Your skin is super sensitive, treat it very gently.

Other things that might work are drinking TONS of water. I now drink 3 litres a day and it helped my skin so much (even my acne!), and maybe buying a humidifier and having that going while you sleep.

Thanks guys :D

So here's what i've done. Starting yesterday i've been using an AHA lotion for dry skin and it has helped with my flaking.

I mix it with some complex 15 lotion and it seems that the glycolic acid is dissolving my dead skin cells and breaking them up.

So that's less of an issue!

I'm not down for abrasive exfoliation but the AHA should also work for my hyperpigmentation so i'm happy about that.

My doc prescribed me Aczone, the topical antibiotic.

So if its the dead skin blocking my pores and causing acne then this should definitely help huh?

Also i moisturize a lot so the dryness is somewhat under control.

Edited by TDNB

Anybody know oral supplements or foods that help with dry skin?

I've heard vit E does the trick.

Fish oil, flaxseed, or food containing high Omega 3 fatty acid.

Most of us do not get enough of the Omega 3 fatty acids in our diet whereas Omega 6 fatty acids are in plentiful supply. Symptoms of Omega 3 fatty acid deficiency include skin problems like eczema, dandruff, dry and flaking skin and poor wound healing.

I suppliment with omega 3 and that helps. I also drink a TON of water. I used to drink about 2 lites a day, but now I drink 3 or more and I do find it helps make my face less dry...and it's not really that hard :P

Thanks, I don't think those are the reason in my case though.

I drink at least 8 cups of water a day.

Also I supplement with a lot of cod liver oil.

I do, however, still have dry skin on my face and scalp (dandruff).

I'm very careful with my skin oil barrier and try not to use any harsh chemicals (when possible).

So I don't understand why i'm always dried out.

I'm pretty sure that it is causing my acne..

Also, its worth note that I tried using jojoba oil, and it helped, but I think i'm sensitive to it because it seems to break me out. I would just mix a drop or two with my moisturizer.

I'll need to do more "testing" to know for sure.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Water likely isn't the answer anyways unless your body is seriously dehydrated. But we get water from food, and our bodies just use whatever water we supply it. I mean, as a kid do you remember drinking x number of glasses of water every day? I never had dryness and rarely drank water.

This isn't true.

Firstly as adults, or young adults, you need much more water than you did when you were a kid. You should be aiming for 2.5 litres a day, and more if you can. If you're losing it through exercise or in the hot summer months then you can drink more, I'd say 4 litres a day is a nice safe amount though. Stagger it though, if you drink too much at once you will have problems.

People constantly say that you don't need 2.5 litres, because you get water from food. But when doctors calculate this amount, they do take food in to consideration. You need 2.5 litres on top of your daily food intake. You can't substitute one for the other.

Your body does use whatever water you give it, but that doesn't mean that one glass will be enough for it to work at its optimum level, you'll still need more for it to do everything that it does well.

The right amount of water hydrates your pores, and your hair follicles.

You'll have healthier looking skin, which might not get rid of acne but it will improve the look of it.

Your hair will look healthier.

Your digestion will be improved.

You'll ease the strain on your kidneys and liver.

Seriously, there's no point not drinking the right amount of water because it's right there for you and it's free. Regardless of whether it might help your acne or not, just do it. It definitely won't cause acne. To not drink because it possibly wont help (It will) is ridiculous.

"Water likely isn't the answer anyways unless your body is seriously dehydrated. But we get water from food, and our bodies just use whatever water we supply it. I mean, as a kid do you remember drinking x number of glasses of water every day? I never had dryness and rarely drank water."

That's just not true. I've seen you more than once compare your skin to your skin as a child. As you age, your skin changes. Your liver gets weaker and weaker the older you get and your liver health is related to dry skin. Naturally as children your skin is newer, and your body is generally much healthier with less effort. Your skin will likely change again as you age further, and if you keep comparing it to what you had when you were 7 you're never going to get anywhere.

Water likely isn't the answer anyways unless your body is seriously dehydrated. But we get water from food, and our bodies just use whatever water we supply it. I mean, as a kid do you remember drinking x number of glasses of water every day? I never had dryness and rarely drank water.

This isn't true.

Firstly as adults, or young adults, you need much more water than you did when you were a kid. You should be aiming for 2.5 litres a day, and more if you can. If you're losing it through exercise or in the hot summer months then you can drink more, I'd say 4 litres a day is a nice safe amount though. Stagger it though, if you drink too much at once you will have problems.

People constantly say that you don't need 2.5 litres, because you get water from food. But when doctors calculate this amount, they do take food in to consideration. You need 2.5 litres on top of your daily food intake. You can't substitute one for the other.

Your body does use whatever water you give it, but that doesn't mean that one glass will be enough for it to work at its optimum level, you'll still need more for it to do everything that it does well.

The right amount of water hydrates your pores, and your hair follicles.

You'll have healthier looking skin, which might not get rid of acne but it will improve the look of it.

Your hair will look healthier.

Your digestion will be improved.

You'll ease the strain on your kidneys and liver.

Seriously, there's no point not drinking the right amount of water because it's right there for you and it's free. Regardless of whether it might help your acne or not, just do it. It definitely won't cause acne. To not drink because it possibly wont help (It will) is ridiculous.

Well alright, let's assume the dry skin crowd are either going to drink a lot or are already drinking a lot, and let's cut down further.

Dry skin - what to do? I have a dry skin problem, but a godly diet and supplements of fish oil. So flax seed? Cetaphil?

I'm glad those two notified you that ashley girl has no idea what she's talking about.

Don't give up on the AHA lotion if it's working for your hyper pigmentation, I've been using that for over a month now with really great results, and I have relatively dry skin. You could lower the amount you use if you'd like.

How often do you wash your face? One shower a day is usually enough unless you exercise and get sweaty, then two is okay. Try not to shower / wash your face too closely within the last time you did (you probably already knew this).

I use Clean n Clear Daily Moisturizer and it seems to work pretty well, doesn't leave face too greasy and helps with flakiness, but of course everyones skin is different. Sorry I can't be of much more help

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Yeah lets not worry too much about the water thing guys :).

I drink more than enough.

What worries me is that my dry skin is probably blocking my pores.

My skin is pretty sensitive and dry so i'm afraid of using abrasive exfoliants.

So I figured an AHA lotion would help but I'm pretty certain its causing me to break out!

I probably shouldn't have gotten a 10% glycolic lotion, because I think its too irritating for my skin.

In the meanwhile I am gonna only apply it to my nose and see if it makes my ugly pores look any nicer.

I usually don't break out much on my nose so if I do i'll know the lotion is to blame.

What else can help with the general grossness of my face? I want it to be smooth and hydrated with clear pores.

Right now my pores are clearly clogged.. What can break up all that grime?

Oooh i just read Ashley's sig. Thats exactly my problem now.

Minor to moderate flaking and dead skin, primarily on nose, cheeks, and forehead. Moderate PIH scarring, mildly enlarged pores. Very mild clogged pores on nose and chin (more like pore gunk rising out of the pore.. ew).
Edited by TDNB

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

OCM worked for me to unclogged the pores but the dry skin was still there. I got myself a

organic balm moisturizer(contains shea butter, sunflower oil, calendula oil,jojoba oil) and organic rosehip oil, i mix the both together for my dry skin. Seem to have helped alot as my skin feels like baby soft right now. My acne isn't completely cleared yet but at least my skin is soft and not dry.

Have to be careful with OCM though, you may break out. I broke out really bad when i first started OCM but i still use it after 2 years on because i know it helps my skin to clear out blackheads, and reduce pores.

Edited by svlady

Dry skin does not cause acne. How many old people do you see that have acne? Not many. Why is that :think: Because there skin is dry.

I think this topic is still important and my issues aren't resolved. So here's a bump.

Dry skin does not cause acne. How many old people do you see that have acne? Not many. Why is that eusa_think.gif Because there skin is dry.