Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joctober14

Antibiotics as a child

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I'm a teen -15- and have had moderate acne that has not gotten better (or worse) for the past few months. In October 2010 I had close to perfect skin. I would only break out in small insignificant areas that I could quickly clear up with over-the-counter medication (Clearasil, etc.)

From the next month after that until now, I have found my skin getting progressively worse. I developed acne around the "T" zone. At first I used Clearasil to help these areas and washed my face with a gentle cleanser. I moisturized every day. When this didn't help, I changed my diet. No sugar, bread, etc. Nothing cleared my face up to what it used to be.

Finally I was put on antibiotics after the derm. had prescribed topical medication (duac) that didn't help within two months. I am now on doxycycline and have been taking it for about two months as well. At first, taking the antibiotics I noticed that my face was less oily and stopped breaking out in the usual areas. But still I had spots of red that never diminished. Now I break out again even when I eat no sugar, bread, dariy, and eat plenty of vegetables.

I was wondering if maybe having antibiotics when I was younger could have made the acne bacteria resistant to the doxycycline?

Does anyone have information to prove this (wrong)?

Doxycycline is not an antibiotic you are likely to have received as a child so it's unlikely your ace would have any resistance to it.

And even if you had, being off it for multiple years would remove the selective pressure for resistance making it kind of a nonissue anyways.

my son has been on doxy. Toe infection. (surgery) Anytime there is a skin infections they will fist reach for cephalexin, then doxy. Unless it's from an animal bite, then it's augmentin.

If you were on them a lot, perhaps. My son only did 2 days of the doxy before I became incredibly uncomfortable with it and brought him back in for a lower strength antibiotic. I gave him a very thorough round of probiotics afterward, I really think this is crucial any time there are antibiotics.

I also think that taking antibiotics for acne is a HUGE mistake. Acne is a superficial infection indicating a greater underlying problem, all you are doing is covering the symptoms, you will never permanently clear your acne this way.

Thanks for replying. That is a good point. I do realize that my acne is never going to completely clear by using antibiotics. That's why I'm also trying to change my diet to fix the underlying problem. The problem is, I hear that diet does not effect acne just as much as I hear that it does. I am very lost.

As for why they aren't doing much, maybe I'm doing something wrong. My acne just won't go away! I want something effective to clear my acne, after all that I've tried.

for me diet was huge. I have celiac disease, diagnosed maybe 3 years ago? I forget... that helped immensely, but there were other factors as well.

I wasn't getting enough omega-3, greens, too many starchy useless carbs in general. It took probably 6 months before I saw changes in my skin on a gluten-free diet, but I felt better maybe 2 weeks in.

The glow you get from a proper balance of fatty acids is apparent fairly immediately. Maybe a week, you'll see it even through the acne.

The food/acne correlation has been debated to death in this forum, I think it's a no brainer. But only you can make that call for your skin. Good luck!

Thank you! I think I'll see how the diet change does in the next couple of months. If that glow is possible like you said through getting a balance of fatty acids, I'm not giving up so soon. This helps.

I also think that taking antibiotics for acne is a HUGE mistake. Acne is a superficial infection indicating a greater underlying problem, all you are doing is covering the symptoms, you will never permanently clear your acne this way.

I have to say I generally disagree. Antibiotics can have side affects, but they are pretty rare, and much rarer than those seen with accutane.

Also, if you look at teenagers as a group, the fact that acne will spontaneously resolve with time in many of individuals would indicate that there isn't some "greater underlying problem" in most of these individuals. As such I personally think the use of antibiotics in teenagers with acne is pretty well justified and should definitely be tried before jumping to accutane. Treating symptomatically is logical when the symtoms are potentially only transient and there isn't an underlying condition that can be more safely or effectively treated.

I would definitely agree with the recommendation for adding an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement. When used long term it has anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial to any inflammatory condition(including acne). Although its benefits are really only seen long term, so one shouldn't really expect results from it after less than a couple months.

Edited by david594

treating it symptomatically is useless. The only thing you'll accomplish is, perhaps, a temporary clearing, and likely kill off the majority of the gut flora. There is also the over prescribing of antibiotics in general. Treating minor infections with antibiotics is one the main contributors to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I certainly do not condone accutane, not sure where that came in..?

treating it symptomatically is useless. The only thing you'll accomplish is, perhaps, a temporary clearing, and likely kill off the majority of the gut flora. There is also the over prescribing of antibiotics in general. Treating minor infections with antibiotics is one the main contributors to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I certainly do not condone accutane, not sure where that came in..?

A 15 year old with mild to moderate acne could very well have no acne by the time they are 20 without any treatment at all. Hence the justification for a symptomatic treatment.

Antibiotics are proven effective in treating acne. I mentioned accutane because it has the highest efficacy in treating acne, but with greatest side effects. Are there any studies that show a change in diet will result in clinical improvement of acne? All I can find are vague abstracts that suggest there are correlations between dietary factors and acne, but nothing that shows making changes in diet result in a significant improvement in acne.

There is little risk with suggesting dietary changes, but the odds of seeing a big improvement in acne are limited. Where as antibiotics have more side effects, but also have a better chance of seeing an improvement with ones acne. Which one is better for the individual is something that is best determined by talking to their dermatologist. Doctors are going to have a much easier time with patient compliance when asking a patient to take 1 pill a day than telling them to completely revamp their diet.

there are quite a few studies posted in this forum, you should check it out. Most of the people in here steer clear of unnecessary adjuncts like antibiotics.

Thanks for replying. That is a good point. I do realize that my acne is never going to completely clear by using antibiotics. That's why I'm also trying to change my diet to fix the underlying problem. The problem is, I hear that diet does not effect acne just as much as I hear that it does. I am very lost.

It's not possible for diet to not affect acne. Your diet is how you get the nutrients your body needs to function. Or fail to get the nutrients needed. And it stimulates things to happen. Like produce hormones and substances involved in chronic inflammation. Two things at the root of acne formation.

More info on the many ways diet affects acne: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html

That said, I think that diet and lifestyle habits are often not enough to clear teenage acne. But it'll make it a lot better, reducing oiliness of the skin, frequency, inflammation, scarring, etc.

I would recommend you use a topical BHA to help cells exfoliate properly without clogging pores. You can use Dan's, Paula's Choice, a prescription brand or aspirin for that. Dissolve plain, cheap uncoated aspirin in a little water and apply to your skin. Let sit for a while. It will dry to a fine powder that gets everywhere, so when I did this, I only left it on briefly and then used it as a scrub. Or you can mix it with something to help it stick. Google 'aspirin mask.'

And I would not eat like a teenager. Eat mostly real whole nutrient dense foods. Don't drink sugary drinks and that includes juices. Don't pig out on anything. Binge eating spikes blood sugar.

Eat a lot of anti-inflammatory foods which means plant foods that aren't grains, teas, herbs and fish. Eat less inflammatory foods like grains, sugar and refined carbs, anything that has a high glycemic impact and hydrogenated/trans fats which means margarine, crisco, grain oils heated beyond their smoking point. And that means avoiding most commercially prepared baked goods and fried foods.

The bacteria is the least important factor in acne formation. In fact, I think they really prescribe antibiotics for their anti-inflammatory effect. And you can instead consume more anti-inflammatory foods.

Edited by alternativista