Find results in...
diana amelia

Pityrosporum Folliculitis or Whiteheads? PLS HELP! :( *pics inside*

this is the pics of my forehead...

2urngh3.jpg

2qc40ox.jpg

np4a50.jpg

eio1lv.jpg

i've had this condition for about 3 years..

i tried retin a, salicyclic acid but they only made it worse..

i read this thread (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Small-bumps-plugged-pores-t164964.html) yesterday and i thought it might be the problem..

can anyone pls help me? it's really bad, i get teased in school :'( and i'm only 16 :(:(

thanks a lot..

Edited by diana amelia

Well that looks a LOT like what I used to have, and I had pityrosporum folliculitis. Here's what you can try: buy a bottle of Nizoral shampoo, lather up a dime sized amount on your forehead in the morning and at night, leave it on for 3-5 minutes, then rinse it off, using a regular cleanser for the rest of your face. You should start to see improvements after a couple of days. After two weeks I was completely clear. I still use Nizoral as part of my daily routine and they haven't come back in three years.

Hope this helps!

Hey...just wondering, did the Nizoral shampoo work for your forehead problem years ago? I have the same looking issue

I have been suffering with this aswell, it gets worse in the summer in the hot weather... after many failed attemps to fix it with prescription acne meds I decided it might be fungal and put some monistat cream on my face(!) and it seemed to have cleared up quite a bit. I have also been washing my face with nizoral (waiting about 5 minutes to rinse it off)

I have been using the monistat/nizoral for about a week and so far it has helped more than anything else I have tried. I hope this helps.

1.0% Butenafine Hydrochloride (Lotrimin Ultra) is also very effective on malassezia although it is an off-label use. In 2012 the FDA issued a Guidance calling for clinical trials of this drug on malassezia, so a positive outcome seems likely. Lotrimin AF is useless for this condition so be careful to buy the correct product. The manufacturer's website has a $2 off coupon too.

This fungus is dimorphic, which means it exists in both yeast and hyphae forms. I call the white bumps "reverse freckles" because they occur after exposure to intense sunlight, and because there isn't a medical term for the condition, other than folliculitis but that is more used to describe red bumps, IMO. I believe that the bumps form because the yeast phase is attempting to protect itself from sunlight, and somehow co-opts the body immune system to make bumps.