Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zudecke

Glycolic face wash - what's the right amount?

Is it a good idea to use a Glycolic face wash for a mild acne, but blemish-prone , combination/oily skin type?

If so, what % would you recommend and how often would you advise using it if not day/night?

BR,

Z

haha sry i have a retarded sense of humor. I feel GA has some serious irritating traits, and its hecka strong. So if you have mild acne I would recomend something weaker/less harsh on your skin. And whatever you decide to do, don't have your active ingrediant in a wash form (its only on your face for a couple seconds/no time to penetrate and fight acne) Just cleanse with a gentle cleanser that won't irritate your skinnnay, use a 2.5% BP or something of comparative strength... & maybe spot treat with is 10%? Or try topical anti-biotics - they don't do any harm to your skin, they fight acne in a less broooootal way ;]

gl

I appreciate your reply..

It's not so much the spots/pimples that I am trying to fight.. I dont get many.

But they are annoying because they leave darkened/blemishy patches behind them which can last years! There has been a darkened patch on my right cheek (not massive by any means), but still discoloured, and it's been there for as long as I can remember.. 5/6 years.

So i was told a GA face wash or treatmeant would fight to restore a more even a unblemished skin tone..

So it wouldn't be to fight the acne, but more about fighting the after effects of it..

Does that change your opinion?

Well yes in that it changes what I think you should use but relative to GA Not really, because if your overall skin is still healthy the less harsh chemicals you put on, the better your skin is going to look in 3 years. If you need to fight the effects try something natural, and soothing before resorting to that. But don't let me discourage you from trying it - I'm a believer in cosmetic acne (self & chemical inflicted acne/elevation-of-severity). I bet a lot of people disagree with me on this one though, I'm just thinking from a protect/preserve your already not so bad skin approach. I mean what if you have a gradual increase in your currently few blemishes after starting GA? (this happens to people a lot when using irritating topicals) and you incur more of a need for the GA - leading to more- well you see the pattern. I don't know if its worth it for you because You have good skin. weigh the costs and benefits and do what you think is right. But your young (I think) your skin probably has plenty of fight left in it for these treatments. Definitely let me know how it works if you use it though. & maybe I have a bias because of a bad experience, but there's probably another vet on here who had GA save their life lol great thing about this board (lots of unique/storming perspectives) But for real I see more people complaining about burns from GA on here than any other topical.

Good luck with your skincare =]

Edited by Acne Security

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

I take your points!

However, a GA wash with between 3-5% surely can't be that damaging, even to sensitive skin, right? Maybe that's an ignorant assumption, but I'm, not talking about a cream or a peel..? Were you referencing a face wash?

ahhh I see now. Still don't get it in a wash, get pro actives toner its like ~6%ish GA and its very mild, you'll get a much better affect this way than if you just used it in a cleanser - you want it to be absorbed into your pores and exfoliate, not just get washed away.

I didn't want to see you scorch your face with one of those 70 percenters haha

Also for me exfoliation tends to bring my acne to the surface, as I have a lot under the skin/inactive. keep a look out for this when you do it.

goodluck

I use Neutrogena Acne Stress Relief Power Clear Scrub. It has Glycolic Acid in it, but I'm not sure what % (they don't say on the package). It's fairly far down in the ingredients list, though, so I don't think it's that strong of an amount. I definitely notice a difference in the texture, tone, and overall appearance of my face when using it.

My skin just looks brighter and healthier. I love it!