Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before I started Accutane, I didn't have that bad skin. Like I've said before, I had a whole of one pimple on my face. My dermatologist wanted me to start because I did have some scarring and because I still was getting pimples - no other treatment would work.

Now I realise that Accutane makes your skin worse, but it is getting to the point where I just cannot handle it. I've called in sick to work tonight, when I have no sick pay left. Every time I look at myself in the mirror it's just getting worse and worse.

And I always take it out on my skin and pop every active I have.

I am just at a loss right now. I want to stick to Accutane because I know it will be worth it, but I just have such low self esteem because of it. I haven't seen my boyfriend in over a month, I never go out with my friends anymore and now I don't even want to go to work.

I have no idea what to do.

Edited by Breetard89

Wow - this sounds like its having some serious negative effects on your life. If your acne wasn't that bad to begin with why were you put on Accutane, I feel like doing that is like bringing an A-bomb to a fist fight. I personally would cut anything out of my life that is negatively effecting relationships with loved ones/my career. The worsening could be a sort of purging? allergy to the medication?

Sorry I've never used Accutane so I can't offer you that much help :( but I'll bump cause I"m sure our unofficial Accutane adviser will chime in with some solid advice for you.

& I'm really sorry your going through such a hard time, this bored is always here for support =]

Edited by Acne Security

Well, I mean, it was bad, it just wasn't cystic acne. I probably got a pimple every day, or a few every day. It just depended. It was bad enough to start Accutane because nothing else worked to clear my bad skin up - and the face that I was starting to get some scarring.

I am just not coping with it very well. It's embarrassing to be 21 years old and still get pimples - and now they're worse than before.

And then I get down on myself because no one else in my family had acne, none of my friends did/do and no one I work with does. It's just a vicious cycle of why me.

I am just not coping with it very well. It's embarrassing to be 21 years old and still get pimples - and now they're worse than before.

Shit girl, I know exactly what you mean, I really thought 20's = an end to acne, but mine only got worse when I turned 20. What prescription topicals did you try before accutane?

Shit girl, I know exactly what you mean, I really thought 20's = an end to acne, but mine only got worse when I turned 20. What prescription topicals did you try before accutane?

I have tried everything. Literally. Nothing worked, so this is my last option. And I know it will be worth it in the long run - I'm just not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel just yet.

The worst part is that I had tried Akamin when I was 16 and that got rid of my ance until mid last year. Which is even more frustrating.

And then like I said, I get angry and take it out on my face. Which is only going to make things worse.

Well if your going to pop, just make sure you do it right/safe/effectively - not in a fit of emotional anguish. This is a pretty typical progression of treatment before accutane (in terms of strength/taxation on your body). BP>Anti-biotic>Topical Retinoid>Combo form(e.g. duac or benzacline or Epiduo)>Accutn. Do you think you settled this before trying?

Edited by Acne Security

I've tried it all. And the anti-biotics did work, but no longer do. I also have really sensitive skin, so things like the topical creams just burn.

And when I pop, I usually use my knuckles, so that I am not somehow getting marks from my nails. But even so, I shouldn't be popping anything while on this medication.

It's just a lose/lose situation at this point. I might call my dermatologist and see if there is anything he can give me to stop me from breaking out. I am just too old for acne!!!

It's okay girl! For motivation go watch some you tube videos of accutane diaries. Everything will work out because it has to! Do not pick your pimples! Please! I have a few white heads on my forehead and I want to pop but when I get that urge I just walk out of my bathroom. Calm down and realize popping them is THE WORSt thing you can do. Visualize a face with scars when you have that craving to pop...it will literally turn you off from the act.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Visualize.

Breathe.

Continue with whatever you were doing.

;-)

By the way you've been on accutane for a month? I bet it gets better from here on out. ;-)

Not even. I've only been on it for fifteen days now.

I am just having one of those "why me" days and feeling very angry and everything. I had bad skin for so long was I was younger and it just ruined my confidence, and then my skin was perfect for 3 years and now it's like a massive slap in the face. So I am just not coping very well with it.

Bree,

Accutane is basically pushing out all the pimples that you were going to get anyway, but perhaps now they're all happening at once.

There are some prescription medications that you can use to reduce the initial breakout such as prednisolone. I'd talk to your derm about this.

In the meantime, the following graph represents the light at the end of the tunnel:

Accutane takes months to work. Only be concerned if you still have significant acne 4 months after your first pill because until then pimples are not uncommon.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881

Ah girl! You're going through the IB! That means it's working! YAYAY! Just don't pop! Give it 15 more days and I bet your skin will start to heal itself.

I second what she said about the oral steroid and I'd also ask for this topical for wound healing it's called "biafine" I got a prescription for it when I was getting chemical peels and after I hit my head on a ceiling fan I had a massive cut on my forehead it's barely noticeable because I applied the biafine religiously. They give it to burn victims to speed up recovery. If you ever get that "urge" put this on top of it ;-)

I know. It's just hard to stomach. I don't think I can handle 4 more months of this! That's such a long time. I just hope and pray that it I will stop breaking out sooner rather than later and my skin will just get better. I would rather dry flaky skin than all this acne!

Some people do though!

I think I got myself so worked up because I do not have cystic acne and have read about some people who have similar skin to mine who have cleared up straight away. I got the wrong idea in my head.

I think I just need to take a deep breath and realise I won't look like this forever.

Thank you everyone for the support, I really needed it and I am so glad I came on here to vent. Because you all know what I am going through, whereas my friends and family don't. They see 5 or 6 pimples and don't get worried, I see 5 or 6 and think it's the end of the world. Ha!

Some people do though!

I think I got myself so worked up because I do not have cystic acne and have read about some people who have similar skin to mine who have cleared up straight away. I got the wrong idea in my head.

I think I just need to take a deep breath and realise I won't look like this forever.

Thank you everyone for the support, I really needed it and I am so glad I came on here to vent. Because you all know what I am going through, whereas my friends and family don't. They see 5 or 6 pimples and don't get worried, I see 5 or 6 and think it's the end of the world. Ha!

I'm the same way. But remember that it not your skin. That is the tane. For sure! And if you're IB is only 5 or 6 cysts! ID SAY YOU'RE A LUCKY ONE! ;-) Mediate. Relax. Keep your mind busy. Seriously it's trippy how powerful our brains are.

They're not even cysts. They're just your average plain Jane pimples.

People would look at me and not even get why it's such a big problem, but regardless it's still a big problem to me..

Thank you everyone for the support, I really needed it and I am so glad I came on here to vent.

Awgh I get to much pleasure when people say things like this so I don't think I can consider helping on here an act of selflessness for my conscience anymore :shhh:

acne.org vets to the rescue ;]

Thank you everyone for the support, I really needed it and I am so glad I came on here to vent.

Awgh I get to much pleasure when people say things like this so I don't think I can consider helping on here an act of selflessness for my conscience anymore :shhh:

You're forgiven. Haha. It helped a lot.

I am usually quite a positive person but it's been becoming less and less frequent lately. I just need to remind myself why I am doing this and just get on with it.

I am usually quite a positive person but it's been becoming less and less frequent lately. I just need to remind myself why I am doing this and just get on with it.

Yeah stay positive, I mean your from Austrailia - if I was and could grow dark facial hair (I already have the blonde hair) I would totally try and be as BOSS as Sawyer from the tv show Lost

Edit: would probably fail miserably

Edited by Acne Security

Yeah stay positive, I mean your from Austrailia - if I was and could grow dark facial hair (I already have the blonde hair) I would totally try and be as BOSS as Sawyer from the tv show Lost

Edit: would probably fail miserably

I never watched Lost. Haha.

I do love living here! And I found out that it is super expensive to be on Accutane in the US! I paid 30$ for my 60 box! Although my derm is quite expensive - it was 80$ per session to see him. It will be worth the money though!

Hi Breetard--

I just wanted to drop by to say that I know what you are going through, and I know the IB can be very hard. But I know it will get better :) As many others have already said, accutane can be a really difficult medication because your skin condition is always really up and down for the first few months. I am almost done with my third month and I am still breaking out, but not nearly as badly as before. I know it is hard, but it will be worth it if you can stick it out for a few more months!

Also, does your screen name (Breetard) mean that you are a shaytards fan? I have seen a few other posts by you around the boards and I was curious if it was a shaytards reference or not =D

Hi Breetard--

I just wanted to drop by to say that I know what you are going through, and I know the IB can be very hard. But I know it will get better :) As many others have already said, accutane can be a really difficult medication because your skin condition is always really up and down for the first few months. I am almost done with my third month and I am still breaking out, but not nearly as badly as before. I know it is hard, but it will be worth it if you can stick it out for a few more months!

Also, does your screen name (Breetard) mean that you are a shaytards fan? I have seen a few other posts by you around the boards and I was curious if it was a shaytards reference or not =D

Thanks. It has been hard, it's just embarrassing. But I know it will be worth it.

And, no. Haha. I've never actually heard of Shaytard. My name is Bree so my friends call me Breetard. Which really suits me because I do some stupid things. Haha.