Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crystal841

28 yr old female, suddne onset moderate/severe acne

Hi all, my name is Crystal, 28 yr old female, mother of an 18 month old, divorced just a few months ago... my acne started suddenly around Nov/Dec, I'm sure hormonal/stress related. I've had test after test, thyroid normal, testosterone normal, tho my periods started coming every two weeks or so. Ultrasound normal. Spiro sent me to the ER, and I've tried topical/oral erythromycin, which did nothing, the oral sent my body thru outrageous jitters and my heart would beat so fast I couldn't sleep, ortho cycline for 3 months, which I recently stopped b/c I'm sure it exacerbated the problem. A derm recommended a glycolic peel which caused several closed comedones to go cystic... I've had a dozen cortisone injections and I'm starting to scar, not to mention the post hyperpigmentation lasts way longer than I remember as a teen. Currently I'm on the countdown to accutane, I'm in the 30 day wait to start period. My current dr prescribed regimen is wash w/ Clear Pore 3.5% bp, apply aczone and cerave in the am, pm same wash or purpose bar if dry, apply differin .3% and cerave. Some improvement, but the zits just keep coming, worse all the time. I have become socially withdrawn, but I am trying to stay positive, and I recently started yoga, which I believe helps my head greatly. My ex basically told me I was getting what I deserved bc I asked for a divorce, and we split custody of my daughter 50/50, so its really hard when I don't have her. I live alone, and most of the people I had that were close to me were thru my husband- we were together 11 yrs. I obviously don't feel very outgoing at this point. I spent months feeling sorry for myself, but I'm done, I've lost my patience w/ that. I am trying to find things I enjoy @ home alone, but its very hard not to wonder why me? What did I do to deserve this? Why can't I stop it? I'm supposed to be starting my life over, but its like I'm on hold, my job in insurance sales is especially hard. I'm here for support and advice, anything is welcome, thanks.

Please for the love of God do not take anti-biotics for a long time. I have been prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg twice a day for around a year and let me tell you, it seriously messes up your body.

I am fairly new to this site as well and there is a ton of information out there but let me summarize it for you. Try starting with diet changes. Most common ones are dairy and gluten. I have tried being a vegetarian for three weeks and I still broke out. Tried gluten free for about two weeks and still broke out. My final solution was to get rid of dairy and it helped a bit.

Remember, for your skin to heal and get back to normal, it really takes quiet a while. And once you reach that normal state, it only takes one bad meal to put you behind several weeks in the healing process.

Since your acne happened all of a sudden try doing some drastic changes to combat this. Try the dairy free diet, then try the gluten free diet, observe your skin's reactance to the things you eat.

Why don't you try getting yourself a juicer. Juice Apples, Oranges, Celery, Beets, Cucumbers all the inflammatory veggies and fruits.

After that, work on your supplements. Last week I my face was like a minefield. 7-8 active breakouts all over my face. Now one of my side is completely clear and things are looking very good.

So try

Zinc supplement

Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules

and Probiotics

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ACNE-CURE-t292477.html (I am following this thread very carefully as I am very optimistic that I am heading in the right direction)

I'm sorry you're going through this Crystal. You don't deserve this. I'm divorced too (mine was a few years ago), I can imagine how difficult it must be to recently go through a divorce and a flare up of acne at the same time. Hold on, you will get through this, every day is closer to the day when you can start accutane and heal this acne. I tried diet changes like the other poster suggested, it may have helped at least a little. Have you heard of DivorceCare? They have a web site and support groups at churches. It helped me through when I was going through my divorce. Take care, I wish you the best.

Hi, thanks for the support, lord knows I need it.

I actually checked out the divorce website, called my local church, however, they don't hold sessions during the summer. :confused:

I am just trying to live day by day until I can get started on the accutane. Hopefully it won't get much worse before it gets better. Currently I am washing with Purpose bar soap, and using differin in the pm, spot treat w/ aczone. In the am I am washing w/ Purpose and using Neutrogena rapid clear lotion (used to be the only thing I ever used) My face has been less oily since not using the aczone during the day :surprised: But I am still constantly breaking out. No rhyme or rhythm to any of it. Yoga seems to help a little, but I get so unmotivated every time I look in the mirror. It's hard to get it out of my head.

And I have just decided to cut out dairy. This is crazy to me bc I was raised drinking 2% milk every day. I have for my whole life. I find it hard to believe I could develop an allergy like that, but it's worth a try. Cross your fingers to me.

Also, I did discontinue the BCP and erythromycin a week ago Friday. My crazy racing heart palpitations and night sweats have subsided, however I still wake up several times a night. It's hard for me to find a sense of peace. I feel so alone.

Positive note - my period has actually stopped, which is crazy as the last two months have been almost constant bleeding/spotting.

I have six new zits since the weekend :boohoo:

I just wish I wouldn't be so slow to heal... it's crazy, I have marks from spots that are over two months old...

Someday I'll be clear and get my confidence back! ......right???

I really liked who I had become starting the divorce and thought I can do this!!

Yeah, right... This acne has devasted me unlike anything. I know I focus on this so I don't focus on other things, but it's like this is the immediate problem and I NEED to solve it to move on. Does that sound crazy?

I have been seeing a therapist Mondays after work, and it seems to help some, but it's not like she can cure my crazy acne....

Anyways, sorry for the rant, I really do appreciate all the support I can get here, I don't have much anywhere else.

Hi Crystal

I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce --- divorce is hell...even when you know it's the right thing to do. I had to divorce my husband at age 36 after 15 years of marriage and I had two young children. I also flared up really badly. Your whole body is responding to the massive change. Actually therapy will help. It's a mind-body thing...calm down the mind and the body will follow. Right now your body's immune and hormonal systems are out of whack...totally normal with this kind of stress. Keep reminding yourself of that...this is normal and it will pass! Most people get digestive disorders. Us lucky ones get acne. Here's some things to try...

Avoid dairy. Dairy messes with hormones, especially when they're already out of whack.

Drink tons of water to help flush out stress toxins.

Avoid too much alcohol. Alcohol and drugs inflame acne.

Walk lots. Walking normalizes body functions, reduces stress and fresh air will make you happier.

Antibiotics aren't totally evil. Taken short-term (2 wks max)when acne is totally out of control they'll help your body calm down because they're also anti-inflammatories. It may take a few tries to find one that doesn't upset your system. Lots of people like doxycycline. I personally like Bactrim.

Try a retinoid cream. I like generic tretinoin cream (started with 5% and upped to 1%). It'll help with wrinkles and normalizes pores messed up by hormone changes. It takes months to work (stick with it) but you'll look gorgeous and your ex will regret being a jerk and losing you...nice revenge!

Hang in there and talk-talk-talk with friends and family. Get your "troops" to surround you with love and support. It's your time and you deserve it.

Don't give up on your derm too quickly. Acne is tricky and takes experimenting to find the right regime for you. My derm is one of the best and it took her awhile to find the right regime for me. Then stick with the tx because it takes awhile for the good meds to kick in. The biggest mistake people make is stopping too soon.

Good luck --- will be saying a prayer for you!

Hi, thanks for the support, lord knows I need it.

I actually checked out the divorce website, called my local church, however, they don't hold sessions during the summer. :confused:

I am just trying to live day by day until I can get started on the accutane. Hopefully it won't get much worse before it gets better. Currently I am washing with Purpose bar soap, and using differin in the pm, spot treat w/ aczone. In the am I am washing w/ Purpose and using Neutrogena rapid clear lotion (used to be the only thing I ever used) My face has been less oily since not using the aczone during the day :surprised: But I am still constantly breaking out. No rhyme or rhythm to any of it. Yoga seems to help a little, but I get so unmotivated every time I look in the mirror. It's hard to get it out of my head.

And I have just decided to cut out dairy. This is crazy to me bc I was raised drinking 2% milk every day. I have for my whole life. I find it hard to believe I could develop an allergy like that, but it's worth a try. Cross your fingers to me.

Also, I did discontinue the BCP and erythromycin a week ago Friday. My crazy racing heart palpitations and night sweats have subsided, however I still wake up several times a night. It's hard for me to find a sense of peace. I feel so alone.

Positive note - my period has actually stopped, which is crazy as the last two months have been almost constant bleeding/spotting.

I have six new zits since the weekend :boohoo:

I just wish I wouldn't be so slow to heal... it's crazy, I have marks from spots that are over two months old...

Someday I'll be clear and get my confidence back! ......right???

I really liked who I had become starting the divorce and thought I can do this!!

Yeah, right... This acne has devasted me unlike anything. I know I focus on this so I don't focus on other things, but it's like this is the immediate problem and I NEED to solve it to move on. Does that sound crazy?

I have been seeing a therapist Mondays after work, and it seems to help some, but it's not like she can cure my crazy acne....

Anyways, sorry for the rant, I really do appreciate all the support I can get here, I don't have much anywhere else.

I do understand. I feel like I need to solve any problem (including acne) to be able to move on with my life. My marks feel slow to heal too; however, they do heal. It seems like after a couple months, I get frustrated and feel like my marks will never fade and then not too long after that, I'll notice they're so much lighter. And some of my marks can be soooo dark and I'm the fairest skinned person in the universe it seems, but they do fade completely even for me so there's lots of hope for you. Plus, once you go through accutane, you won't have to deal with getting new dark marks anymore. My dermatologist suggested wearing something with sunscreen to help the dark marks fade. I've been using Purpose moisturizer with SPF 15 during the day though I don't spend much time outside. Some makeup has spf in it too. The differin should also help the red marks fade. I'm having some issues with my menstrual cycle too. I bled a lot for a while and then my period got regular and now it stopped (maybe because of stress or not eating enough) and am waiting for it to start back up again. I'm glad you're not having to go through the constant bleeding anymore.

I'm sorry to hear they don't hold divorcecare at that church during the summer. Therapy can be helpful, I went to therapy for a while, am thinking of going back. Sometimes, I question and struggle when I'm going through stuff, but deep down I believe God still loves us and in heaven we won't have to deal with anymore trials. Don't give up hope, you will get through this, keep fighting the acne and keep reaching out for support.