Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smik

Is it possible that BP causes oily skin

Here's the rundown of my oily skin issue and BP. Back in high school (about year 2006) I was starting to get mild acne, and my family doctor gave me a prescription for BP. I never remember having oily skin before this, and to be honest I can't remember developing oily skin soon after using BP after, but I do know around 8 or so months later I went from normal skin to oily skin. Fast forward to year 2008, my I stopped using BP altogether, and even stopped washing my face and stopped using all topicals, my acne was so mild I figured I'd be fine. A few months later my skin went from extremely oily, with an even more extreme oily nose, to very DRY skin. I would actually have to moisturize it. It was flaky in the morning especially after a shower. Forward to 2010- my acne came back harsher, this time not mild but moderate, I let it go without treatment for a good few months, but then decided to give BP another roll. 2 days into using it, my oily skin FLOODED BACK. This time with a combo-type. Oily forehead, dry cheeks, and VERY oily nose. WTF? How does one's skin go from oily to bone dry, to oily as crap? The best I can associate with it is BP. Has anyone experienced or known of something like this to happen? I'm almost wanting to stop using all products again for a few months to see but my acne is moderate enough to keep me from not wanting to stop using BP, which at the moment is really starting to help clear me up..

Edited by smik

I think yes. Because, BP dries out the skin oil hence triggers more oil production.

I've been lurking the boards a while now and supposedly that isn't a ''scientifically sound'' theory. Now that I think of it though, how deep does BP penetrate the skin?

I have seen studies that show that Benzoyl Peroxide causes oily skin, and studies that show the opposite.

The one study I saw that I trust (and was relatively recent) compared 3 topical agents for oil control. I can't remember with certainty what all the agents were (one was definitely BP, the other 2 might have been adapalene and azelaic acid). This study showed that after 1 month of use BP increased oil production, the second agent did not change it, and the third reduced it. Pub med is down right now so I can't find the study.

My skin is very oily but it has been so for many years. I can't point my finger at one particular thing since I've used so many things for my skin. But the fact is that only my face is very oily, the rest of my body is fine. This makes me think it's something topical that I've used that has caused my very oily skin.

I found the study I like:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/derm_news/2007.6/8.html

It's also a decent sample size (65).

Edited by jsmithson

I have seen studies that show that Benzoyl Peroxide causes oily skin, and studies that show the opposite.

The one study I saw that I trust (and was relatively recent) compared 3 topical agents for oil control. I can't remember with certainty what all the agents were (one was definitely BP, the other 2 might have been adapalene and azelaic acid). This study showed that after 1 month of use BP increased oil production, the second agent did not change it, and the third reduced it. Pub med is down right now so I can't find the study.

My skin is very oily but it has been so for many years. I can't point my finger at one particular thing since I've used so many things for my skin. But the fact is that only my face is very oily, the rest of my body is fine. This makes me think it's something topical that I've used that has caused my very oily skin.

I found the study I like:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/derm_news/2007.6/8.html

It's also a decent sample size (65).

Interesting, thanks for posting this. Also I haven't used BP in a few days and today used a 20% salicylic acid peel and and haven't noticed much shine since. This was 4 hours ago :dance:

Dude, same thing happened to me.. after using dan's regimen for 3 months i developed oily skin, still have it now, its about month two.. i'm hoping with my new regimen that doesn't use any harsh chemicals that over time my face will get back to normal, just not sure if it will though

Didn't want it to happen but I don't want anyone reading this to get their hopes up, oily skin came back today somewhat, so I guess the peel just helped out. HOWEVER, oil is less than before, with the ''peak'' starting to hit about 2hrs after cleansing, as opposed to about 20 minutes while on BP. Crossing fingers than in a few months my skin will be back to normal, or dry again. Dry skin is so much easier to control than oily :/

This is exactly what happened to me. I am 26 and I never had oily skin before. Not even during my teen years. I started DKR in early 2008 and stopped about 3 months later due to irritation. Since then, my skin became extremely oily. It has been almost 3 years now since I stopped DKR but my skin never go back to its normal state.

After doing the DKR for about one year I developed extremely oily skin shortly after stopping. The oily skin continued for about 2 years until accutane reduced it to a bearable level. I dont know what heavy amounts of benzyl peroxide does to the skin, but anything that bleaches fabric cant be great on your face.

Well this is BS then it's really making me mad idk how much more staring I can take from strangers, family, and friends because of my oily nose.

Really? So you're telling me when I'm talking to people and looking them in the eye, seeing their eyes go from eye-to-eye contact down to my nose, back up, and down at it again, is in my head? Or when people walk by they immediately gaze at it, a few have stared for a few seconds walking by. This, my friend, is not in my head.

And no my lips aren't chapped either.

Edited by smik

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

This is exactly what happened to me. I am 26 and I never had oily skin before. Not even during my teen years. I started DKR in early 2008 and stopped about 3 months later due to irritation. Since then, my skin became extremely oily. It has been almost 3 years now since I stopped DKR but my skin never go back to its normal state.

Bare in mind this is speculation on my part but my thinking goes like this:

- sebum (oil) is something the skin puts out in part to protect your skin from UV damage

- sebum absorbs the UV and can be discarded by the body since it's external

- BP is free radical generating so it causes UV like damage in the skin. Skin thinks it's being irradiated by UV.

- If you use BP for a long time your skin upregulates sebum production to extreme levels

There is science behind some my speculation (temporary upregulation of sebum production produced by UV irradiation of the skin). But hey - what's the Internet for if not medical diagnosis by forum? hehe