Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bee4

Can Benzoyl Peroxide actually cause imflammation and pimples?

I had one small pimple on my cheek last week, so I treated it with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. I started putting it all around the area, just to make sure. That area is now brownish red, burnt looking ndn there are lots of small, irritated looking pimples there. It's almost like there's a burnt layer of skin on top with all the little pimples below.

Is this because of Benzoyl Peroxide overruse?

For me it did. It just irritated my skin and created more and more dead skin = more and more pimples. My skin can not tolerate that stuff. Even in low doses.

If you only have one small pimple on your face - only use BP as a narrow spot treatment (If even). People forget how strong it is (this use to be a script drug), make sure you only have like a 2.5%.

If I was a certified dermatologist I would never prescribe bp. It just doesn't make sense to me. It sits on top of your skin, burns, makes the area red, and drier than the rest of your face. I just don't get it. Not to mention the constant flaking that comes with it.

I'd look into a sulfur wash. It's more natural doesn't burn unless used improperly. Collagen booster. Fights bacteria. Acts as an exfoliant. I don't know why more derms don't prescribe it. I wish I would of got it when I was 13. I've been using it for the past 3 weeks and my skin has never looked so good. You may have an ib. But I think it's worth it.

I'm personally also sensitive to BP.

However, some people handle it quite well. As with most things it varies tremendously.

I think that indicates you have a sensitivity or allergy to BPO. Some people also have issues with sulfur or salicylates. Doesn't mean it doesn't work for people who are not allergic to it.

i was able to use BP for 5 years following dans regimen and it worked really well, but i was always concerned that the BP is doing other damange and not curing my acne just treating it, anyway one day , February 26 2011 to be exact my skin REJECTED BP and i burned the c### out of my skin and after sporadic use since then (i paniced when i got some breakouts) , now i am left with out 18 marks that can only be described as cigarette type burns :( i am hopeful to make them fade by using the lumiport pen and BIAFINE emulsion but i am in the horrors, not to mention wasting 4 hours a day with the silly light pen :(

BE CAREFUL WITH BP :(

Edited by DRice

i was able to use BP for 5 years following dans regimen and it worked really well, but i was always concerned that the BP is doing other damange and not curing my acne just treating it, anyway one day , February 26 2011 to be exact my skin REJECTED BP and i burned the c### out of my skin and after sporadic use since then (i paniced when i got some breakouts) , now i am left with out 18 marks that can only be described as cigarette type burns :( i am hopeful to make them fade by using the lumiport pen and BIAFINE emulsion but i am in the horrors, not to mention wasting 4 hours a day with the silly light pen :(

Oh man. I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's so scary!

Do you have any terrible breakouts anymore, or just the scarring? :confused:

Oh man. I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's so scary!

Do you have any terrible breakouts anymore, or just the scarring? :confused:

yer that is the kicker i am still getting breakouts so tempted to use the BP again ..but the scars arent worth it!!! so struggling a good bit, thanks for your support. only had the scars for a week so hopeful to get rid of em completely in maybe a week, see i had one under my eye a few weeks back that completely faded ..just 18 is a bit intimidating :(

I used bp about two years ago to cure my moderate bacne. It worked for about a week, then I noticed severe irritation in the area I had been applying to. Ignorantly, I scratched the area and, within 24 hours I had full blown hives! Went to a dermatologist who performed an allergy patch test on me. Turns out I'm severely allergic to bp and a host of other cosmetic preservatives. Since then I've been petrified to treat my bacne :-(