Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanbelle

Angiogenesis and Inflammation

I don't know if many are aware are angiogenesis, as I'm sure some are, but many new studies have reported angiogenesis and inflammation to be dependent variables. Down-regulation of angiogenesis is typically observed when fighting inflammation, and vice-versa. By regulating angiogenesis, you can also regulate inflammation. I tried looking for threads that talked about angiogenesis, but couldn't find any. I did find one thread, however, that cited a study done on lycopene and prostate cancer--this study has been utilized by angiogenic researchers.

Also, I should add that an article I read from this site (I'll attach it), linked those with acne might be more suceptible to cancer, which is what those with excessive angiogenesis (and dependent inflammation) are also susceptible too. Anyway, I feel like when you study what causes cancer and what causes inflammation, the role of angiogenesis makes logical sense, in that it is all fairly interconnected. I don't see it as anything revelatory. However, knowing what angiogenesis is can be really helpful. There is a lot of research being done on it in the scientific community, so it can be helpful for those trying to regulate inflammation. Understanding angiogenesis and inflammation opens up concepts of immunodermatology that is being heavily studied. Wherever you might find a study talking about angiogenesis, just know that is a hot word for inflammation. For example, this study discusses the benefits of gingko biloba as anti-angiogenic.

I hope I'm making sense. Angiogenesis is:

the physiological process involving the growth of new blood vessels from pre-existing vessels.

Great post, sgoodleitz. I've only skimmed through it, but it has some great info that further validates what a lot of people on this board already know (that a high GL diet/high GI foods definitely play a role in acne.)

I think everyone should read the section with the heading

"Aggravation of acne by dietary modiï¬cation of insulin â„IGF-1signalling" and High Glycemic Diets.

The part about topical retinoids is also pretty interesting.

I read this topic a while back: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Scarless-...tml&st=2560

that discussed angiogenesis and how it relates to scarring and skin redness. Got some good info there too. It's not really a topic that's discussed much. Or at least discussed directly (general inflammation is more often than not discussed in detail.)

Edited by chunkylard

Anyway, here is a list of anti-angiogenic foods.They might be very, very similar to anti-inflammatory foods.

They pretty much are all anti-inflammatory foods provided you aren't allergic to them. The soy beans is probably an exception. I'd have to look it up but if it is anti-inflammatory, I'd imagine they are only mildly so. The most anti-inflammatory foods are plant foods that aren't seeds and fish. Anything that's an anti-oxidant is anti-inflamatory.

i had not heard of antiogenesis, but it sounds to me that it's another bodily process involved in inflammation like Histamine, ROS, PGE2, etc. More from Sweetjade post:

* Free Radicals

* ROS - Reactive Oxygen Species

* PGE2- Proinflammatory Prostaglandins

* Leukotriene B4

* Cytokines (Interleukines 1 - 12a/b sometimes, TNF-a/Tumor Necrosis Factor-a, etc)

* NO - Nitric Oxide

* Peroxide (from lysed PMN/Polymorphonuclear leukocytes (white blood cells/neutrophils))

* Lactic Acid

* PPAR beta/delta - Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptors beta/delta

* Substance P

I had come across some info on Gingko biloba being beneficial, but misplaced it. I think there was mention of using it topically...

Edited by alternativista

Also, chronic inflammation is at the root of all kinds of degenerative health conditions like cancer, everything included in metabolic syndrome like cardiovascular disease and diabetes. This is why I always tell people that a blood sugar stabilizing, nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory diet had benefits far more important than clearer skin.

Also, chronic inflammation is at the root of all kinds of degenerative health conditions like cancer, everything included in metabolic syndrome like cardiovascular disease and diabetes. This is why I always tell people that a blood sugar stabilizing, nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory diet had benefits far more important than clearer skin.

Yeah, exactly that's all true. I don't consider it an independent variable, so angiogenesis is only part of the puzzle when it comes to those fighting inflammation and associated health problems. I would attest though that people that directly fight angiogenesis have completely cured cancer, so I would consider angiogenesis to be more at the root of healing conditions like cancer specifically (like direct application of angiogenic creams to tumors, it's absolutely amazing). When it comes to preventing cancer though, you would be looking at an anti-angiogenic diet. And those that don't fight homeostasis of angiogenesis will also experience inflammation...etcetera. It feels almost like a technicality, because it almost all comes back to the same idea, but the distinction is worth knowing. It also opens up a new keyword for those who like to research on their own, as I see so many on this site like to do. So, there you go! I hope to do more research on the topic myself to see if it bears any more fruit. Thanks for replying to my post alternativista, you always have something good to add.

Edited by sgoodleitz