Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Magic Taco

I have really retarded skin and no idea what to do

I have the stupidest skin. It is very sensitive, very dry, and flakey, but the make it worse, I have terrible acne, all over my face, too. I can't use topical medication, because it dries my skin out so much that it just flakes like hell, burns when moisturizer touches it, red, and irritated. But if I moisturize so my skin isn't flakey, my face is a pimple factory. It is so frustrating. Doctors insist that I use their topical medication, but it doesn't even help my acne anyway, and makes my skin worse ;_;

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? You'd think dry skin would mean no acne, but apparently not.

dry skin and flaky skin mean irritated. I haven't washed my face even with water for 15 days and my skin looks GREAT! I have one tiny whitehead on my entire face that will scab up by the end of the day. I am doing everything that the 'professionals' say not to - Letting dead skin build up, leaving any oil alone (although I have dry skin), not exfoliating. I am glad I did this because this is freaking working!

Just curious, what products are you using on your face? You mentioned no topicals, but what about for washing your face? And how often do you wash your face?

When you tried moisturizing, what kind did you use?

I've gone through this too...I've had this type of skin for 10 years now...off and on!! I've tried everything!!

dry skin and flaky skin mean irritated. I haven't washed my face even with water for 15 days and my skin looks GREAT! I have one tiny whitehead on my entire face that will scab up by the end of the day. I am doing everything that the 'professionals' say not to - Letting dead skin build up, leaving any oil alone (although I have dry skin), not exfoliating. I am glad I did this because this is freaking working!

You haven't washed your face for fifteen days?!!!! Now, surely that is highly unsanitary, and wouldn't work for most people?!

Yeah I know, but I wanted to prove that washing even with water was irritating my skin. My face does best when not touched at all. These products all messed up my face's natural defense system and just made everything add up and lead to breakouts overtime. Most primates are scared of swimming in water so who knows if there is something more to it. Our grandparents did not shower as much as we do today, that is for sure. I think we as a society push people to be too clean to sell products which result in more skin problems than ever because of them being very drying over time. This I believe works for most everyone as long as your parents face is scar free since we inherit their skin defenses. It will go away once your body is no longer in shock of being dry and sending out oil to replenish what you washed off. This takes up to a year for serious cases who have been treating the symptoms of more oil returning after self abusing/drying their skin with products.

Waterwater, AlexAlmighty, Jan Carlo, and many others have gotten clear from doing this or the water only method so I am definitely not the only one to try it. It's just really nice to no longer have the 'if i don't wash with something, even water, i am going to break out' mentality in the back of my mind anymore. That is great in itself because my face does a better job at clearing everything up all by itself and I know that in a couple months my skin will thicken out and be stronger than ever!

Drinking lots of water throughout the day I think is helpful too especially first thing in the morning.

Edited by floatingrhythm

I've tried various ways of washing. I've tried foaming, cream, the whole olive oil/castor oil deal, plain old water on a cloth, plain old water just splashed on my face. I've tried washing my face once a day, and I've tried twice a day. However, the only time my skin was ever in better in regards to pimples, was when I didn't wash my face at all. It's hard to avoid getting my face wet in the shower, though. And I wear make-up a couple days a week, so it'd be hard to avoid washing my face completely. Not to mention I start getting nasty black heads which I think are pretty gross, probably because I never get them so I'm not used to them :X But yeah, even plain water irritates my skin.

I've used various types of moisturizers. Right now, I use hope for sensitive skin, from sephora. It's the best I've found so far, in that it doesn't make me break out as much and gets rid of a lot of the flakiness. As well, I add vitamin e oil to it, to make it even more moisturizing.

I drink loads and loads of water all the time, so I know it definitely has nothing to do with being dehydrated.

Well, in the morning, I wash my face with the body shop's tea tree oil cleanser. Pat face dry, and moisturize with my hope/vitamin e mix. Then I'll dust some powder on my face to get rid of the shine. Then, at night, I'll wash my face again, with the same cleanser, and moisturize the same way, but I'll add some extra vitamin E. Sometimes I might spot treat with tea tree oil if I have an annoying pimple, but for the most part, I just get a bunch of small pimples, not so much big ones. I've only been doing this for about a week, so I don't know how well it's working yet. Before that, I washed with plain water in the morning, moisturized with plain hope moisturizer, and did the same thing at night. Didn't particularily aggravate my acne, but it didn't help either.

But at the moment, it's gotten really bad, so I don't know if I should continue washing my face so much with the cleanser. Like, I have multiple large pimples, and I haven't had a single large pimple for months. And then I have loads of small pimples popping up all over the place. I believe it's the cleanser, since I'd started using the vitamin e before I decided to try washing with the tea tree oil, and it didn't show any problems.

Edited by The Magic Taco

Its funny cause you seem to be doing everything right, and your not using anything HXC to cause irritation (make sure your not allergic to TTO).

Well even though TTO may feel oily when applied it has a serious drying effect, as I'm sure you've noticed. So I would recommend swapping that cleanser for a gentle one (I love Cetaphil)

Stop dusting your face - Try Clean and Clear/drugstore brand oil absorbing sheets for shine.

So without the TTO cleanser you'd be left without an acne fighting ingredient, I'm going to recommend Clindamycin 1% gel - its an antibiotic approach to fighting acne, super transparent/watery so it leaves behind no residue, and is almost hydrating when I apply it, doesn't dry your face out at all. Note you need a prescription to get it.

and as far as aggravating your acne, do your HW/ask some of the girl vets, and find the best possible moisturizer for an acne sufferer.

& Can you tell me about the cleanser, I'm really interested in The Bodyshop's TTO products, and I think I'm gonna buy them and experiment, any info you can give me on anyof them would be much appreciated =]

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

^Disclaimer: Ashley has some serious BALLS and dedication, if your gonna do this make sure you can tough it out, It worked for a personal friend of mine, and I wish I had the stones to try it lmao

Edited by Acne Security

Try washing your face only once a day. If you can handle the build up of oil. I started doing this a month ago. And it's really helped. Even with my skin it's semi dry/oily and the idea of not washing my face in the morning seemed so foreign to me I thought I was going to have such bad acne if I didn't wash my face twice a day. Think about it.

You wash your face at night. Go to sleep.

Wake up. In reality how "dirty" can your face be?