Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtturbo2

really struggling with this now!

Hi everyone,

I'm 28 male and from the uk. Had awful acne as a teenager tried everything in the end went away on its own around 22 (just the occasional couple of spots) but left lots of scarring, The scarring never bothered me that much as its wasnt that noticable unless looking really close. kinda gave me a tough guy look lol.

started working outside last year and last summer got a deep tan as a result, looked best i had ever looked and had my pick of the women, my confidence skyrocketed.

Since around christmas this year my acne had flared up so horrible. I now have many legions on my face (all over near enough) and red marks everywhere! my old scarring looks so much worse and very irritated and deeper also :(.

tried every otc product you can think of just seems to irritate. Tried lemon juice made it much worse.

It was getting out of hand so went to the gp last week. He has put me on lymcycline for 2 months and is then gonna refer me to a derm.

the thing that concerns me the most is if i look at my face in direct light i seem to have millions of clogged pores - dunno what to do.

I have a public facing job and really dont like being around people or people looking at me now :(

all ive done the last couple of weeks with my freetime is looked in the mirror and obsessed, dont feel like myself anymore.

hoping the derm will prescribe me accutane but dont know how im going to manage until then.

I'd suggest sticking with the Lymecycline for a little while and see how you go. These things can take time. I started talking it 8 months ago and only now is it (along with the regimen I started a couple of months back) starting to work. I went back to my GP a couple of months ago and gave him loads of hassle because my skin had been really bad for weeks and wouldn't calm down. He said I wouldn't really benefit from seeing a derm and that I should stick with it.

Although I have stuck with it, the one thing I've changed on my own accord which I think has helped most is my mental approach to my skin. I've accepted it, stopped stressing about it, stopped picking my skin and popping spots where possible, and I'm staying away from mirrors if I can. After all, I could spend hours standing in front the mirror and stressing about it, but it's not going to make it better. If anything, that stress can have a negative effect.

To be honest, if someone had told me that, I'd have said they were mad. But I've tried it and it's working so I can't really argue.

As for the clogged pores and stuff, I've never really had any major problems with obviously clogged pores and blackheads etc so I can't recommend anything there. Generally, I just wash twice a day and exfoliate maybe once or twice a week as I've never had to target it specifically. But I'm sure plenty of people here would be able to offer suggestions for that.

:)

thanks for the feedback man

its really starting to get me down im usually such a confident person.

It seems to have a crept up on me at once just had shower looked at my face after i got out of the shower and it just looked like something from a horror movie, all the red marks

and stuff showing really badly.

I feel like a freak walking around now, i used to enjoy my job i now hate going to work. My whole face is a battle ground of bacteria with many active lesions at a time, all on top of scars,i look at my forehead and just want to be sick, red marks all over my face a zit right near my eye.

Its as if all my pores clogged at once, i cant decide weather it became to irritated from meds or what happened.

had a lot going on in my personal life like you wouldnt believe 18 months ago i was happily settled with a kid - now i live at my mums house and have a court case tues so i can see my daughter again.

3 months ago i was happily seeing someone my skin was pretty clear it was all good, now i look like freddy krueger!

I keep hoping it will go away that i will feel like a normal person again - then i look in the mirror!

trying to drink a lot of water and hoping that lymcycline will kick in.

Wow, sounds like you're having a real hard time.

As far as your skin goes, I'd stick with the course and see how it goes. Try not to stress about all that and see if you can just let it do its thing. Then, if it doesn't quite work out, at least your GP seems happy enough to consider other options which is cool.

As for all the other stuff... man, that sounds harsh. Really hope that all works out for you soon! :)

Don't be harsh on yourself dude. It is whatever, just a disorder all of us in this forum have. Do something that you ENJOY and do not focus on your face all the time. If the problem is really that bad, give antibiotics a go for a couple of weeks then make some changes to your diet (if your problem is not hormonal that is)

Sounds just like me, my name is Crystal, 28 yr old female, mother of an 18 month old, divorced just a few months ago... my acne started suddenly around Nov/Dec, I'm sure hormonal/stress related. I've had test after test, thyroid normal, testosterone normal, tho my periods started coming every two weeks or so. Ultrasound normal. Spiro sent me to the ER, and I've tried topical/oral erythromycin, which did nothing, the oral sent my body thru outrageous jitters and my heart would beat so fast I couldn't sleep, ortho cycline for 3 months, which I recently stopped b/c I'm sure it exacerbated the problem. A derm recommended a glycolic peel which caused several closed comedones to go cystic... I've had a dozen cortisone injections and I'm starting to scar, not to mention the post hyperpigmentation lasts way longer than I remember as a teen. Currently I'm on the countdown to accutane, I'm in the 30 day wait to start period. My current dr prescribed regimen is wash w/ Clear Pore 3.5% bp, apply aczone and cerave in the am, pm same wash or purpose bar if dry, apply differin .3% and cerave. Some improvement, but the zits just keep coming, worse all the time. I have become socially withdrawn, but I am trying to stay positive, and I recently started yoga, which I believe helps my head greatly. My ex basically told me I was getting what I deserved bc I asked for a divorce, and we split custody of my daughter 50/50, so its really hard when I don't have her. I live alone, and most of the people I had that were close to me were thru my husband- we were together 11 yrs. I obviously don't feel very outgoing at this point. I spent months feeling sorry for myself, but I'm done, I've lost my patience w/ that. I am trying to find things I enjoy @ home alone, but its very hard not to wonder why me? What did I do to deserve this? Why can't I stop it? I'm supposed to be starting my life over, but its like I'm on hold, my job in insurance sales is especially hard. I totally hear the horror movie thing, and make up does not help, it almost looks worse. I spent almost a month straight staring in the mirror wondering what happened to me, but it made me sick and I'm still trying to break the thought patterns. Yoga def helps, and positive affirmations, silly as it sounds, it seems to help, and mirrors never help. We are here together, just know ur not alone.

Thanks for the feedback guys it means a lot. Its hard when u start to see yourself as some kind of freak once you get in that mindset it can only cause negativity.

I really feel for you i know what its like when your trying to get your life back together and your face looks like an extra for night of the living dead.

Feelin a bit better today about things, caught the sun a bit which really helps hiding red marks a bit.

at one point a couple of months ago i was alternating four different face washes at random i dont think this help matters at all. My skin went very dry/ irritated yet oily and broke out like mad.

Ive stopped using harsh cleaners now sticking to sensitive skin wipes to see if that helps calm things down. I also suspect that washing with the water in this house may have some chemicals in it which make it worse.

Over the last week along with the lymcycline ive made many alterations i have cut out all energy drinks / coke and drinking a lot more water now. Also im staying well away from junk food now see if it helps. Looking back i was basically running on energy drinks and junk food. Ive also cut down on weed in a major way (i dont know if it stops breakouts but was making me very anxious when i was in that mindset)

anytips for clogged pores? i was trying to prick them with a pin but that is a BAD idea! makes what was once a small white dot into an infected mess!

We're here for you man. Personally my cure's about the diet and lifestyle, but whatever works for you is good.

I'm 29 and from the UK... I'm not sure that helps me understand you a lot more, but maybe. Even so, I know what you're going through.

thanks man feelin a bit better now - whats a bit of messed up face in the scheme of things really.

I know how you feel i'm on my 3rd dose of Roaccutane now (well i will be starting on 6th of May) I hate being around people but have the advantage of waking make up on.

Please let me know what your dermatologist says, youre from the UK yeah ?

Look up lumine Brightlight this is red and blue LED's that help the skin the light box/device cost about £150 but i reckon this could work and im goin to invest in it when i finish my roaccutane

thanks man feelin a bit better now - whats a bit of messed up face in the scheme of things really.

I know how you feel i'm on my 3rd dose of Roaccutane now (well i will be starting on 6th of May) I hate being around people but have the advantage of waking make up on.

Please let me know what your dermatologist says, youre from the UK yeah ?

Look up lumine Brightlight this is red and blue LED's that help the skin the light box/device cost about £150 but i reckon this could work and im goin to invest in it when i finish my roaccutane

yeah from the uk, tane 3 times wow! did it clear u then it cam back after? im hopin that when i see the derm hes gonna prescibe me that as have suffered long enough.

i got the advantage of a beard so its swings and roundabouts really lol. Let me know how u get on.

Hi everyone,

Common mistake people make when they start to treat acne problem is using anything and everything that sounds good. Fact is the major difference between those with great skin and those without is knowledge. www.skinandbeauty-problems.org