Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FedupinCT

My battle with pitted scars on cheek

What's up fellow sufferers?

If your reading this, then your probably as frustrated as me when it comes to those little pitted bastards taking up prime facial real estate. I have 3 boxcar scars on my right cheek, about 2.5 - 3mm, from itching poison ivy. I had 2 TCA Cross 100% on them late last year with 0% improvement that set me back a total of $600. 1 month ago I had 2 punch excisions and 1 week later I had the stitches removed and 1 more punch excision. So far I have maybe 5% improvement and that's being optimistic. The excisions cost $300 each. I am seeing a plastic surgeon who specializes in dermatology so I don't feel my lack of results is due to an incompetent doctor. He even teaches at a ivy league school. I won't say where for fear of throwing him under the bus. I'm on retin-a micro 0.4% and AHA 15% to smooth things out. I guess I'm curious what my next move should be. My doc wants to excise all 3 scars at once and stitch it up to form 1 libe,(all 3 scars are pretty close to each other). I am wary of this because the previous excisionss didn't work. Then he said he wants to touch it up with laser after this 3 in 1 excision. Damn, this is gonna be expensive! Does anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, or comparable stories they want to share with me? I will beat this thing. No retreat, no surrender!

Edited by FedupinCT

I want to thank the dozens of people who responded to my thread and gave me practical advice and shared interesting stories. Oh wait, I'm on the wrong website. Seriously people, would it kill ya to say something that relates to my ordeal? I guess everyone is wasting their time learning about chemicals and lasers that wont do shit for their scars.

i really can't say much because i haven't gone through any treatment, yet....

i don't even know what steps to approach first since i'm 20 and still trying to figure out if i'm going to grow out of my acne. i have scars on my cheeks, some on my neck, and some on my temple... they're not very deep but noticeable. it's horrible man.. best of luck with everything, i feel for all of you

If you're contemplating having a new surgery with the same dermatologist that you had no significant results from prior surgeries, I'd suggest you go to some other qualified derms or plastic surgeons and get their opinions before you start doing something more drastic with the original surgeon. In my opinion, he should have been able to determine what to do from the get go and not just keep charging you more money for additional, larger procedures.

Good luck.

Go to a Plastic Surgeon. Derms are not really well known for their excision skills. Plastic surgeons are however very skilled at performing excisions and the after care (stitches, healing). Excision is one of the most basic things a Plastic Surgeon is expected to do... therefore if they are expected to do it well and it's a basic skill set... they are very good at it. Different from a derm who isn't used to cutting or sculpting skin.

Hi

I did go to a plastic surgeon. Has anyone had punch excisions and had terrible results at first, but then approved with time? I have the patience of a 10 year old with A.D.D.

I've had a punch float and it did not improve with time. I would not count on that too much. Can you show us pictures of your scars so we can give you appropriate advice?

i find this strange, how could surgically removing scar tissue along with the tissue tethering the top layer down and then stitching the walls together not raise it up?

did the doctor suture the walls together?

Edited by Brawn