Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duckyy

Iodine in my diet

I'm think that maybe I've caused my hypothyroidism problem by avoiding iodine (it seemed to cause acne).

My daily diet:

300g of spinach, 600 grams of broccoli, carrot and cauliflower mix, 2 onions

150g of raisins

400g of chicken

500g of lean ground beef

100g+ of olive oil

1000g of white potato or sweet potato

I use iodine free salt. No dairy, no grains. That has been my diet for the last 8 months. That's around 3800 calories.

21 years old, 5'10", 180 lbs. Male.

That's a lot of food. How likely is an iodine deficiency?

I used to take kelp supplements (iodine) to get more iodine and it seemed to help me to some degree (almost got rid of dry skin), but I stopped because of the breakouts. That's why I also stopped eating dairy. Iodine was definitely the main cause of my acne.

However now I'm battling with hypothyroidism. Blood tests confirm this. I've had an high TSH for years. Never diagnosed.

Most people have some level of iodine deficiency. Iodine does cause breakouts but it's usually either because of detoxification OR because of autoimmune disease such as celiac. Iodine is involved with the formation of the celiac skin condition DH... and it takes a long long time healing from gluten to make the DH rash stop. But if you're thyroid is suffering you need iodine, regardless of the breakouts. I have the same problem and I'm still trying to figure out how to get iodine into my system.

Your diet looks pretty good though. I'd maybe ditch the white potatoes.

I've been eating healthy all my life. There's nothing to detoxify. I felt like the extra iodine literally inflamed my pores around my mouth (hair follicles). It was coming out of my pores...

I do not have celiac... I'm not intolerant to gluten or dairy. I haven't had gluten in at least two years. Dairy seemed to cause the same thing as taking iodine supplements, so I stopped eating it.

I do have a rash on my face that hasn't gone away in half a year. Just gets better and worse from time to time. It's on my left cheek. Not sure what it is. Even the doctor didn't know. I'm hoping that when I fix my thyroid issue it goes away.

I'm currently looking into a drug called Armour. It's basically natural pig thyroid hormones in a pill. I might have to go the self-treat route since no doctor is going to prescribe me that.

Also, what's wrong with white potatoes? GI and GL are almost identical to sweet potato. White potato has more vit c and less vit a. Not much difference. Made zero difference to my skin when I switched from one to other. Now I just alternate between them. GI is pretty much meaningless if you look at my diet. All the fat and protein neutralize it. The GI is actually measured in a fasted state, so it's pretty much irrelevant. I learned the hard way by avoiding carbs for no reason. No affect on my skin whatsoever.

LOL @ "nothing to detoxify"

TRUST me... if you live in the modern world, there is a LOT to detoxify especially with iodine. The particular toxins iodine displaces are everywhere. EVERYONE has them in their body aside from maybe some extremists who have been living on a commune in the middle of a jungle with their own completely pure water supply. The stuff that happened around your mouth sounds like classic iodine detox...

Seriously, I know you probably feel you are pure but it is so hard... if you've ever sat on someone's couch, breathed the air in a city or town, touched practically anything... those toxins are in you. Especially from carpets, couches (flame retardant stuff they put on all furniture).

Also if you aren't eating 100% organic the pesticides will leave you in a constant detox if you take iodine. There have been times I had gotten the iodine detox to stop, then I messed up and ate some non-organic strawberries and there ya go, I was suffering from detox for another week after...

It's hard. This is a very, very toxic world we live in. Even when you feel you're being good.

If you don't think potatoes effect you, that's good. I personally had to give up most carbs such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, etc. I follow The specific carbohydrate diet pretty closely, except my version of it doesn't contain dairy and is mostly raw foods... I had to do this because being gluten free wasn't enough and my skin was not healing even after eliminating a ton of foods. Turned out those carbs like sweet potatoes and rice were further inflaming bad bacteria in my leaking gut and when I eliminated all of them I finally started to heal up.

But if you were able to clear up without having to go that far, more power to ya! There's nothing wrong with potatoes really as long as you can digest them, I just sadly can't.

Maybe you could take a partial dose of the kelp supplements. Or try having a little bit of shellfish provided you aren't allergic. There are other nutrients involved in making thyroid hormones that you may want to make sure you are getting enough of. Also consider you adrenal health which can affect thyroid function. How's your sleep habits and stress?

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2592507

LOL @ "nothing to detoxify"

TRUST me... if you live in the modern world, there is a LOT to detoxify especially with iodine. The particular toxins iodine displaces are everywhere. EVERYONE has them in their body aside from maybe some extremists who have been living on a commune in the middle of a jungle with their own completely pure water supply. The stuff that happened around your mouth sounds like classic iodine detox...

Seriously, I know you probably feel you are pure but it is so hard... if you've ever sat on someone's couch, breathed the air in a city or town, touched practically anything... those toxins are in you. Especially from carpets, couches (flame retardant stuff they put on all furniture).

Also if you aren't eating 100% organic the pesticides will leave you in a constant detox if you take iodine. There have been times I had gotten the iodine detox to stop, then I messed up and ate some non-organic strawberries and there ya go, I was suffering from detox for another week after...

It's hard. This is a very, very toxic world we live in. Even when you feel you're being good.

If you don't think potatoes effect you, that's good. I personally had to give up most carbs such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, etc. I follow The specific carbohydrate diet pretty closely, except my version of it doesn't contain dairy and is mostly raw foods... I had to do this because being gluten free wasn't enough and my skin was not healing even after eliminating a ton of foods. Turned out those carbs like sweet potatoes and rice were further inflaming bad bacteria in my leaking gut and when I eliminated all of them I finally started to heal up.

But if you were able to clear up without having to go that far, more power to ya! There's nothing wrong with potatoes really as long as you can digest them, I just sadly can't.

Maybe there is something to detoxify, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Why I iodine only breaking me out. Why is not everyone breaking out worse than me. Etc...

I really have been pretty healthy all my life. I didn't use to live in the town. I ate food that we grew ourselves. Good ol' time.

It does just seem that my body does not absorb the iodine or something like that. It seems to exit through my pores and inflame them in the process.

Maybe you could take a partial dose of the kelp supplements. Or try having a little bit of shellfish provided you aren't allergic. There are other nutrients involved in making thyroid hormones that you may want to make sure you are getting enough of. Also consider you adrenal health which can affect thyroid function. How's your sleep habits and stress?

More info: </a>

I wish there was a way to test for iodine deficiency. I dropped all sea food and canned products when I found out iodine was breaking me out. I wish I knew if my hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency. I don't want to start breaking out again though.

My sleep habits are fine. I sleep a 9-10 hours and try to go to bed at the same time everyday. However I do seem to wake up multiple times during the night or semi-sleep... I guess that has something to do with the thyroid problem.

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a few days. He will most likely prescribe Synthroid (synthetic thyroid hormone). And I am probably going to take it. The symptoms are getting worse every month. I wonder if thyroid medicine can break me out... My guess is it also contains iodine. :(

I diagnosed myself. TSH has been constantly above 5. Even 12 once (last year) (I've done a ton of tests on my own). I have another appointment in two days so it will probably be official then.