Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ellinas

Anyone else gad they have/had acne in the long term?

At the moment it may feel like the epitome of dejection but think about when your acne starts clearing up and the journey its taken you through.

I remember when I started to get acne, I was around 12 and have had it ever since, some occasions more serious than others. I'm 18 now and my acne is clearing up on my face, I've only got some on my shoulders which shouldn't be hard to get rid of.

I've learnt a lot about products and about general health.

The only positive I can take away from having acne is that I do not judge others by their appearance. I am clear now thanks to Accutane, but I still have scars. All the negatives of having acne/scars heavily outweigh any positive I can think of. So, no, I am not glad and I never will be glad to go through the curse of acne.

I still have acne right now but I guess I'm kinda glad that I have acne since it has made me go into a much healthier lifestyle and it made me learn to not to judge people's appearances. Also I became a little smarter with all the research I've done while trying to clear up. But now that I've learned all this I just need my acne to go away now.

I've posted this numerous times but YES I am glad I have acne. I've been on this site for a bit over four years now and it has given me so much. I have made friends with people, met eight of them, and am currently in a relationship with one.

It has also helped me develop the parts of my personality I really love, like humility, patience, and compassion.

^ haha. same here. uh uh.

but i'd be lying if i said i don't admire those that are glad. acne has given me a lot of experiences i've learned a lot from. maybe one day i'll have a more positive outlook about it.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Had I dealt with it the way I have been dealing with it since I found the Org, I'd be a lot better off. In fact, had I dealt with it the right way when it first started, I don't think I'd have it now.

But, I'm dealing with it now and I'm happy with my skin for the most part. In that respect, I'm mainly glad that I found the Org and the wonderful people here who have offered such great advice! :)

I suffered all the way through my teens and lost those years. I now understand that I allowed it to take them because my attitude and approach was wrong. Either way, I can't can't get those years back and the damage - in terms of my lack of confidence, self-esteem and social skills - is massive. Think I've got a lot of work ahead of me in that respect, but I might as well give it a shot.

All the problems it's caused me haven't ultimately made me a stronger person because I allowed it to take things away and I essentially became weaker.

But, the acne has made me a better person, which to me matters more. There are goodness knows how many qualities I have now - patience, kindness, empathy, to name a few - that I don't think I would have if I had always been acne free. So when I get to the point where my confidence and social skills are good, and can offer those qualities to people, in theory I'll be great friend material! :lol:

Edited by PaulH85

Yeah I'm def glad I had bad acne. It helps me to appreciate the more often clear days I have now. Also I'm going to school for skincare, which I really enjoy. I feel like I almost wouldn't have gone down this path and seen the importance of clear skin to someones self esteem without having gone through all the bad myself. ;)

I am sort of glad I've had bad acne in the long term. Although it's really only been 2 years of it I've learned soooo much. For one I've learned a lot about general health and probably good health habits that will carry on for the rest of my life. I've also learned something else that I probably wouldn't have without acne; I've learned to appreciate life for what it is. And now that I'm mostly clear, with the exception of these f'n red marks (HATE THAT SH*T WITH A PASSION) I really just love life more than usual and have a positive outlook towards my future (I'm junior in hs). So I guess in this sense acne in my life was kind of a good thing. I just hope that I can finally leave it behind...

no way i hate having acne. and if one day it does go away i dont think id ever be glad that i had it :(

Yes, very. I hated it SO much for so long that since Accutane cleared me 3 years ago when I find myself in times of trouble since I can look back, try and remember just HOW low I felt then and feel glad it's over and that whatever is happening now is NOT that again. It's made everything else since (including numerous relationship break-ups and problems, moving to a new city on my own for the 1st time, drinking too much for a while, and even dabbling with drugs a bit too often at 1 point) seem like a cake-walk in comparison. Sounds loony but its true. Chin up guys, I came back from the dead and you can too.

^ Truth.

I admire the positivity; I imagine if your glad you had acne, there's little that can bring you down.

My positivity might be dampened if my acne hadn't of started clearing up. Don't get me wrong my self esteem was utter shit all throughout my youth, wouldn't want to revisit at all. Just glad the dreadful period is starting to end!

Maybe it's one of those things where if you beard something terrible for long and all of a sudden it ends you're over the moon - one example we all can probably relate to is sunburn.

I admire you guys for your positivity. I think if I had left my acne behind, I'd see more good in it, but being almost 31 and having dealt with it since 13 even though, yes, sometimes it does get somewhat better, is tiring sometimes. I do think in my heart that being a better person with patience, kindness and empathy is more important than being a beautiful person, however, I'd still love to feel pretty. I would be extremely grateful if I could ever leave this acne behind me!

I've had acne.! not severe but still bad..i had a lot of brkouts when i was 15 or 14 not this all are getting cleared up..but i still have few bumps..very small and blackheads.

but belive me i have never stepped down from a party or playing outside or hanging out with people..and i've also made great friends :) one thing that acne taught me was nver hudge a person by their outer looks :).

though i still get little embarrassed when i try to talk with strangers. :( tough very little :P

acne doesnt make u look ugly..belive me..it is then how u deal with ur life dat makes u ugly.

one thing dont let Acne win over you :) and never think ur inferior :)

My positivity might be dampened if my acne hadn't of started clearing up. Don't get me wrong my self esteem was utter shit all throughout my youth, wouldn't want to revisit at all. Just glad the dreadful period is starting to end!

lol -- i completely get this. i started realizing some of the positive things about acne after my face started clearing up. i sure as hell couldn't see ANY of the positives while i was breaking out in cysts everywhere. all i saw were the cysts, and how painful it was emotionally and physically.

If I never got through acne (don't have it anymore) I would have probably become the epitome of people that disgust me. Those people who freak out over 1 TINY pimple, ugh, I just can't stand it. I would have probably looked at some people with acne and think they are "dirty" and "need to stop the junk food". So over all, even though I was depressed most of the time I had acne I am so glad it helped me understand the struggles other people with acne go through and not be such a selfish person

Yeah, I have, although this thread seems to have become more about things people have learned and whether they are glad or not to have had it.

I would pay good money to get rid of it. I would pay £100 per pore (okay I'd only be able to afford a few at a time, but at least it would be something). I would pay £1,000 for a single pill that cleared me up. Drug companies, take note.

So I've learned a lot, about food, health and myself, but I'm not there yet. I'm not clear. I think I'll be able to look back on the period and say, "Thank God that's over," if I do ever get out of it that is.

But it is shit, and I don't think many of us would come here if it weren't.

Definitely not glad I have it at all. It's given me a new perspective, though. Up until about 15 my skin was perfect and was always whining to my sister about how if she only stopped touching her face, drank water and all of that she'd have perfect skin like me. Fast forward 3 years, one course of accutane, 3L of water a day and 0 face touchings, my skin is worse than hers.

Self esteem has taken a massive blow.

glad to have acne? OP needs go to mental hospital..

having acne is not worth it.. so no im not glad i got acne what kind of question is this?

-.-