Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JL87

Getting Ro/accutane from the Derm UK NHS

Hey guys,

First post here, im 23 and have suffered from acne since about 19, on and off sometimes cystic, doctor has prescribed every antibiotic in the book, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Erythromicin. Have had topical, Zinerty and Clindamycin lotions, Benzyl Peroxide etc.

Havent really pushed for the dermatologist, have just let acne take over my life.

Now got a derm appointment next month and am wondering is it likely the derm will give me Accutane or will they try something topical like Retin - A first? Im indian, pretty light skinned but the scars are getting to me now.

Thing is I've got a great job starting in about 5 months and am dreaming of some kind of magic cure before then.

If your in the UK and have used the NHS i would be really greatful if you could tell me the timeline from the 1st derm appointment to actually getting on accutane, did the derm prescribe other stuff first or what?

Thankyou

I was in a very similar position to you. Had acne for a number of years, tried bp and various antibiotics from the doctor. Finally decided to get am appointment with a derm. First appointment, she had a quick look at my skin and gave me roaccutane, result!

If you've tried so much other stuff and are scarring, the derm may very well give you accutane, especially if there are some cysts and if it's causing you great emotional distress. Are you female or male? If you're female, they could suggest spironolactone first which can be really effective for many women. Either way, you should be on your way to healing from acne soon.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses, im a guy, thing about the emotional distress, ive basically locked my self away after university, stuck in dead end jobs i didnt care what i looked like, now its hitting me, i dont think i could face work with skin like this, i dont wanna say too much to the derm just in case they think im a nutter and hold back the accutane

Hey guys,

First post here, im 23 and have suffered from acne since about 19, on and off sometimes cystic, doctor has prescribed every antibiotic in the book, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Erythromicin. Have had topical, Zinerty and Clindamycin lotions, Benzyl Peroxide etc.

Havent really pushed for the dermatologist, have just let acne take over my life.

Now got a derm appointment next month and am wondering is it likely the derm will give me Accutane or will they try something topical like Retin - A first? Im indian, pretty light skinned but the scars are getting to me now.

Thing is I've got a great job starting in about 5 months and am dreaming of some kind of magic cure before then.

If your in the UK and have used the NHS i would be really greatful if you could tell me the timeline from the 1st derm appointment to actually getting on accutane, did the derm prescribe other stuff first or what?

Thankyou