Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I never thought it would come to this.. (64k warning)

Hello there..

My name is Alex. I'm a 16 year old male from Australia. I guess if you're reading this you don't need to be told about my feelings and how bad things are - you know. Let's get to the facts..

This is going to be my obsessively documented Accutane log.

I never had acne. I was always the person with almost perfectly clear skin. While my friends where breaking out in their 13s-15s, I would be lucky to have one pimple at a time.

This is about to be a looooong story. You're more than welcome to skip down to the present day, haha

About halfway through last year, things started to get bad. Not bad enough for people to say anything. Not bad enough to warrant seeing a doctor, but I started paying more attention. I don't know if it was because I went on a diet (I'd been somewhat overweight before then) or because I was a "late bloomer" acne wise, but it got bad.

I was washing my face with the neutrogena wave at the time. It made my skin smooth, but not clear.

At the start of this year, It had gotten to the point where I needed to see the GP (MD for those of you across the ocean). I didn't take any photos, but I did a music video for youtube in which you can see the extent of the damage.

"Christmas Promise" On the channel "alexgreggmusic"

The Doctor put me on 50mg of Doxycycline a day, in addition to 0.05% Trentinoin. The initial breakout lasted for 2 and a half months. It was terrible. This is me about 1 and a half months in (sorry about the effects, but I refused to take "normal" photographs of myself at the time).

Things got worse, then slightly better. Surprisingly, It was only on my cheeks and upper cheek areas, never my forehead (despite my fringe), or neck or back. I got stuff on my jawline and chin also, but the deepest ones were always on my cheeks.

I stuck it out for the next month, and fast forward to a few weeks ago...

The first 2 months of Trentinoin, I'd wake up to a new comedone every day. I'd be pussy and white and there'd be nothing I could do about it. About 3 weeks ago they stopped developing, and I was only experiencing the weekly cyst, In addition to what was already there, and the red marks on my face.

2 weeks ago today, I started Dan's Regime with the trentinoin and doxy, not smart - I know, but I knew I was going to be seeing the derm *today* and wanted to be able to say I did the full course. I think it helped.

I was using the BP gel (5%), BP wash for 10 seconds (5%) and moisturiser.

This was 13 days ago. The day after I started BP. Sorry about the exposure. Dad can't take a photo for crap :)

This Is the other day. Getting pretty clear.

THE START

So, I went to the derm today. He essentially said that my GP was a douche, that upon seeing me a second time, he should've referred me immediately. Anyway, the derm, after seeing all the pictures and learning how bad my IB was last time, has prescribed me:

Roaccutane, 10mg

and Solone, 25mg ( a steroid)

And I'm scared shitless. The thought of another IB is terrifying. I don't know how I'll do it.

I wanted to stay on Dan's regimen, but the derm insisted that this was the only course of action. I'll continue using the BP wash morning and night though.

So then. Let's get started. I take the first pill(s) tomorrow, and I think I need a before shot. When this all ends, I'll make a little time lapse video, haha.

For the first few weeks, you guys can expect an update every second day, and after that, maybe more or less depending on how things go.

Question: should I post future updates in this post, and ask/answer questions and stuff in replies, to make things easier for people to see?

Anyway.. Day 1 (control shot)

Edited by 1.618

So, Day 2.

Obviously too soon to start seeing results, but I'm documenting everything, haha.

I've stopped using the BP gel, and I'm starting to see the adverse effects already. 1 whitehead and I can feel a few deep ones that haven't developed coming on.. this is going to suck..

Anyway, photo -

Hello there.

Day 3. Even though it's only been 2 days on the meds, I'm starting to feel it.

I'm not sure if it's the accutane, or the lack of BP, but my face is starting to get redder. Also, I've had a few small whiteheads come up. They'll probably be significantly larger by tomorrow morning though, so :S

If this is the reaction I'm getting to 10mg with steroids, I hate to imagine what will happen at later stages D:

Uhm, yes. No real side effects as far. If anything, my skin is a little less dry now that I've stopped the BP. I'm avoiding the sun as much as possible, and I can't really feel much new stuff coming on apart from those two.

In other news, I think my work may be causing my acne. I started at KFC at the beginning of last year and it went to hell from there. It's so greasy and oily and stuff, being over the chip dump and whatever. I'm pretty sure there's oil in the air, even.

I have to work 3 close shifts in a row next week (public holiday rates though :D), and I'm torn between the (stereotypically) Jewish side of me, and the acne cautious side. The money's going straight to saving to turn our garage into a studio.

Anyway, I've ranted enough, haha. Have some photos. Delicious.

Hey there! U shouldn't be experiencing too many side effects on 10 mg... And from reading other people's logs on here, steroids also help...

I was on 10 my first 2 weeks I think... I didn't really feel anything, except for a few headaches at the very beginning, since my body was getting used to the med... I didn't feel dry at all.. I was then bumped up to 20, then to 40 and I still didn't feel dry... It was only when I was bumped up to 60 that I started to feel the full effect of this medication...

It will work for you... If you haven't already, I suggest you read a log by a person, whose nickname is City Ranger, I think, I don't remember exactly what his nickname is... It's very inspirational...

Is your doctor going to increase your dose throughout your course?

Hi there (:

I'm certain he is. I think, because of the terrible reaction I had to normal trentinoin, he's ramping me up to it.

Did you go through an IB every time you were bumped up? Or is the IB a long period?

Edited by 1.618

Day 4!

I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect, or if it's the accutane, or the steroids, or whatnot, but I think things are drying out.

The two pustles that popped up have flattened out and fallen off since yesterday, which is good. There's a tiny little pimple on my chin, but if things like that were my only problem I'd be pretty happy.

The two cystic thingies I thought I felt coming on the side of my face are holding steady and not developing, steriods for the win!

Anyway, I wish I was on a higher dose, and the IB would come and go, I'm still terrified D:

Glamour shot!

Day 5! Nearly at the end of the first week!

One of many to come, unfortunately.

However, It's not all bad. I seem to be skipping the IB because of the steroids, or maybe because I'm only on 10mg, I'll never know. Those 2 whiteheads came back, and flattened out again over the course of the day, and the little one on my chin is hard and dry already.

I guess, at the moment, my problem is moreso the red marks and scarring left by the retrieve (retin-a).

I see my derm again in about 3 weeks time, where I'm going to ask to be bumped straight up to 40 or 60. I know the effects will be horrible, but I don't want to have to deal with this for another whole year, you know..

Anyway, day 5's excellent photograph :/

Edited by 1.618

I'll be following you man!!! Good luck! It's only going to get better from here! Take care of your body and mind throughout the course!!!! ;-)

Hello there :)

Thankyou, and I hope so. I'm still pretty terrified of things getting worse.

At least I can look forward to a pretty awesome time lapse video by the end, haha :3

You're going to look amazing. I can already tell :) You're going to be one of those people who get their life back afterwards :D look forward to it!! Dont be scared of the Initial Breakout, it passes you by and tbh, youre a strong person and just think to yourself it may be the last big breakout you ever get :D POSITIVITY :D

if you want to have a heads up of whats to come, check out my log

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/isotretin...-D-t292016.html

I'll be following yours!

xxx

Hello! I'm also from Australia :)

I wish I had of started Roaccutane when I was 16! I was on Akamin when I was your age, and though that did work, my acne ended up coming back. It sucks now too, because before if I was having a bad day, I just wouldn't go to school. You can't do that in the real world though. Haha.

This drug definitely does make things hard, but I guess everything that we feel now will be completely forgotten when we have clear skin! :D

Hello folks :)

@please-let-it-work: Thankyou for the kind words :) I'll keep an eye on your log for inspiration :)

@Breetard: I guess I don't realise how lucky I am to be going through this as a teenage as opposed to being in my early-late 20's. Something to mull over (:

So, Day 6!

And the first line of pills down! I feel like a better man already, haha.

I can't really complain. My skin is less dry than it was on the BP, and isn't any oilier. I haven't been out in the sun at all really so I haven't needed sunscreen, and my lips aren't dry at all.

Acne wise, nothing's really changed. Things seem to be coming and going slightly faster than before, and much faster than when I was on the retin-a, but yeah.

No cysts so far though, which is a huge plus.

Anyway, here's a photo. Nomnom.

7 Days! 1 Week! A quarter of a month!

It feels somewhat good to be getting somewhere, haha.

I know I've updated this way to often to be interesting.. I guess it's just good to have somewhere to vent where I'm not being told that it's not that bad, or that it's positively horrible. Mixed signals suck, haha.

That big ass pimple on my chin has really started to dry out, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be gone after tomorrow or the next day. Same with the one near my nose.

Anyway - here's today's shot.

Edited by 1.618

Day 8 - Nothing really new.

Just thought I'd be current :D

Here is a photograph :D

I am following your progress. I am on Day 7 and I am eager to track your progress as I go through my own. I am on 10mg twice a day, so essentially the same dose of 20mg and so far, just a little more activity than usual, an increase in itchiness, but nothing major.

@lipslikesugar Why thankyou (I think), haha. Not an observation I often get.

So, day 9. Wow.

Uhm - I think I'm starting to get dry lips - at least, not enough I need a chapstick, but I can feel them being dry, and kinda bled a little, so I might start carrying one around.

My skin actaully feels better, maybe it's the steriods, or the BP wash finally doing something. I've only really got one active one and a tiny one next to it. The active one has been there for a week, so I think it'll be gone soon, and the tiny one doesn't look like the type to blow up.

But yeah - red marks seem to be my main problem, making things look like they're worse than they are. I've also got a small one under my chin, kinda on my neck, which has never happened before. Weird.

I'm terrified about the IB when I come off the steroids.

Does anyone know what the deal with IB's are? Like, do you go through one every time your dosage is bumped?

Also - shameless plug, I know.. but I just put a new video on my youtube channel if you guys are interested... to "check out my acne". Yes.. that's why :)

Link is in my signature :)

Here is a photo. Yum.

Edited by 1.618

Day 10! Woo.

Nothing new to report, I mean..

That little pimple on my chin has kinda gotten bigger - but here's the thing - I'm kinda getting small ones like I used to before the retin-a, not cystic stuff anymore. I'm hoping to god it's the accutane and not the steroids doing that because I come off them in 4 days D:

I can't help but feel this is going to get much, much worse.

Anyway, here is a photograph.

Edited by 1.618

Day 11!

I know this is going to come across as total bullshit, but I think things are working already!

I feel so much better about my face than I did a few weeks ago.

I just pray that this isn't the calm before the storm, and that the IB is waiting to happen.

I go off the steroids in 3 days D:

Anyway, here's today's photo, sorry for the lack of clothing, I'd just come home from work and was *this* close to getting into bed when I remembered, haha.

Edited by 1.618

Day 12.

Well, this is going to sound weird, but..

It seems like my skin is clearing up. I mean, I still have a shitload of red marks, and a few small active ones, but It's the best it's been in a few months.

So, almost 2 weeks on accutane and no IB as of yet.

Im praying the steroids have held it off, and that when I come off them in two days it's not going to explode.

At least, until the dosage gets bumped up...

Edited by 1.618

Day 12.

Well, this is going to sound weird, but..

It seems like my skin is clearing up. I mean, I still have a shitload of red marks, and a few small active ones, but It's the best it's been in a few months.

So, almost 2 weeks on accutane and no IB as of yet.

Im praying the steroids have held it off, and that when I come off them in two days it's not going to explode.

At least, until the dosage gets bumped up...

Here's a photo, featuring my keyboard, haha. Recently displaced because of my drum kit purchase. I swear, my room is beginning to resemble a recording studio :S

Hey, man I've been following you, and I def say that your face looks better in the most recent pics. A lot less red!! good luck and keep updating us!

@mdn - Thanks heaps mate, It's good to get an outside opinion on things :)

The low light and crappy macbook camera probably don't help for accuracy, but I want to make a time lapse at the end and needed an easily way to achieve consistency.

Anyway - Back at school today, and nobody said anything about my face! Amazing.

It's the best it's looked in a few months.

As far as actives go, they've gone from being huge, pussy things, to small pimples like I used to get before the retin-a.

I've currently got one that's dried out and will probably be gone by tomorrow, and one that's about halfway through the drying phase. I've also got one cyst like thing, but the accutane seems to be stunting it's growth, haha.

Very pleased with the progress thus far. I just pray it doesn't get any worse.

I come off the steroids on Saturday (Australian time), so it'll be a whole 2 weeks between then and my next appointment with the dermatologist.

Here's the question, guys..

If he decides to bump me up, would I better off going to 20 and then 40, or could I go straight to 40 and skip the long IB process?

Edited by 1.618

Well...

Today marks TWO WEEKS.

Wow.

I know it's going to sound like I'm talking out of my ass - but I feel so much better about my face already - it's not overly dry, or oily, and I'm barely getting any breakouts, and when I do, they go away in a few days!

Of course, I go off the steroids tomorrow, so things could change a great deal...

Here's todays photo:

In other news, my youtube channel just ticked past 1000 total upload views. I don't know how much of that was you guys, but thankyou so much anyway <3

www.youtube.com/alexgreggmusic

I know this is not what you want to hear, but accutane isn't easy... So you shouldn't anticipate the IB not to come... if it does - that means you are on your way to clear skin (you would too if the IB wouldn't come), but through a struggle... Your skin is purging everything that would explode later at various times, its just this time its coming out all at once...

Once you get through the IB, it will be uphill, uphill, uphill! Good luck, hang in there!

And honestly, this might just be my opinion, but gradually increasing the dosage just makes the whole progress longer... the bigger the dose, the faster the progress, since your skin has more help from the increased dosage of the med to clear itself out!

Good luck! I wish you all the best! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!