Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarred39240

Post Accutane treatment, now left with Hyperpigmentation and scars!

Hey guys,

I have been a lurker on these forums from time to time but I think it is really about time for me to share my acne problems with a community I believe that can help.

I had REALLY bad acne (Cysts and nodules on my face, back and chest) starting from highschool and didn't get accutane until about my sophmore year in college. I was on accutane for however many months and the cysts and nodules went away for the most part. Forward to about 5 years later or so and well the pictures will explain everything.

My current regimen is nothing spectacular. I use Neutragena body wash after I work out from the gym, and I use Tea Tree Oil Bodywash from the bodyshop at night before bed. Also, I use dial antibacterial bodywash from time to time. I just bought some Hydroquinone from walgreens (2%) and I am about to start using it only a few "test" spots to see if it works. I have a few huge gaping holes in between my chest and deep scars all over my back. I look like Freddy Krueger. Anyway, any suggestions? Glycolic Acid? Peel? Microderm? Surgery? Thanks!

PS I actively go to the gym so I have to work around that as well!

post-148960-1302846763_thumb.jpg

post-148960-1302846888_thumb.jpg

post-148960-1302846763_thumb.jpg

post-148960-1302846888_thumb.jpg

Hi buddy,

I just signed up after reading your post. I have similar damage on my back..probably around 70% of the severity of what you have. Over the past year I haven't been getting any cysts, mainly just small pimples, and a lot of the hyper-pigmentation has faded away. But the scars and craters still remain, although they have also faded somewhat. I would suggest getting recommendations on dermatologists in your area.

edit: I'd also add that I think my bacne was hormonal related, which could probably be said about a lot of peoples here. Lets not laugh, I'm 22 and only started getting hairs on my chest in the last 6 months. But since I started growing hair on my chest, the bacne has gone down to just a few small pimples that come and go compared to huge cysts. It's like my body has entered another chapter or something.

Edited by Uncle Stu

I can't comment on your scars. But I can commenton using accutane. I was on Accutane on-and-off during the years when I was 18-25. I'm not a person with many regrets in life. But if I do have one regret it's the use of Accutane. It has without a doubt done much worse for my skin than good. It has ruin my skin forever. But also my eyes, nose and lips. And on top I that, I have a strong beliefs that it has changed something chemical in my brain. I have talk to numerous of other users of accutane through the years and many of those believe the same thing.

It's been 7 years since my last pill of accutane, but I still have many of these side effects http://www.accutanesideeffects.net

Don't ever, ever go back to Accutane

Accutane is scary/incredible stuff. For people like me, it worked wonders, and I consider myself lucky (knock on wood). It dramatically improved my life by curing my cystic acne completely when I was in my early-mid 20s (now late 30s), with only dry skin as a side effect. Avoided a ton of scarring. Heart goes out to folks enduring cystic acne and its aftermath.