Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockingRedhead

how to NOT lose weight on paleo?

I'm just starting the paleo diet and so far I really like it. My only concern is how to not lose weight. I'm 16/F, 5'4"-5'5" (not exactly sure), ~117 lbs, BMI 18-19. I have heard a lot of people lose weight effortlessly on the paleo diet and I'm already pretty skinny so I don't want to lose any more weight. Butter seems to not break me out, so should I just make sure to load up on that? What are some high fat paleo foods?

High fat won't make you stop losing weight. Chances are you're probably not getting enough carbs if you're losing weight. Add more nuts and starchy veggies (carrots, broccoli, squash, pumpkin, etc.) to your eating routine.

The more fat you eat, the skinnier and more defined you'll get because your body is using fat as its primary energy source. If you want to bulk up then work out. If you want fat in your body then start eating like shit, because being fat isn't healthy and invites every disease known to mankind. Eating carbs will make your body store fat.

Just see how you go eating paleo first before you pre-emptively change anything. Maybe it'll balance you out if you're too skinny for a reason.

protein + workout? Who wants body fat. If your to low on body fat less then (12?)% I dont know the number for women youll have to look it up. Youll have to make sure you eat enough carbs and calories! You cant gain weight on a calorie defecit.

The only thing that matters in weight loss is calories in v calories out. If your losing weight you need to eat more.

The only thing that matters in weight loss is calories in v calories out. If your losing weight you need to eat more.

this is 100% true.

protein and fats are calorie dense compared to vegetables. you being a female will not even need to eat that much to maintain weight.

although some people get an initial couple pound loss when they get rid of grains. this is just water weight.

If you have BMI on 18-19 you will probably GAIN weight on paleo. The thing with paleo is that it regulates your hunger, food burning to a level where you have an ideal weight. So if you are skinny you gain, if you are fat you loose.

When speaking about calories in and calories out its not so easy at all. Read Gary Taubes 'Good Calories, Bad Calories'

I dont think thats well said. We arent saying that eating more calories directly will result in 100% weight gain. And also not in the opposite. But if your not eating enough you will never gain weight. You cant.

Personally I think that Gary Taubes book is pretty bad. He has a point. But he just goes into the extreme on the other side of the story. Its a little bit of both. For example his growth (fat) leads to overeating. And not the other way around. Might be true a bit. But the other mechanism still works. You can overeat on icecream while your body doesnt want it. Its easy to do.

I'd also highly recommend you check out Gary Taubes book. The newer book, "Why we get fat, and what to do about it", is a condensed version of (and a much easier read than) "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

Taubes views are controversial, and they do represent one side of the extreme...however, he does what very few other "experts" does - he backs up his views with hundreds of studies, published in well respected, peer reviewed medical and scientific journals.

So while it's true that Taubes may not be 100% right, and he may not have all the answers, it's also true that the research he presents proves that the whole "calories in, calories out" viewpoint, is total crap. When it comes to why some people are fat and others are skinny, there is a LOT more involved than how many calories they're eating.

I'm also skinny, and am starting a more paleo diet. According to the books I've read, the theory is that skinny people who eat a lot but don't gain weight, have a sort of insulin resistance of the muscles, which prevents the nutrients they're eating from getting into the muscle cells. So even though you're eating a lot, you don't gain weight. Going paleo and eliminating sugars/refined carbs, will over time, reduce and/or eliminate this insulin resistance, so more nutrients will make it into your muscle cells, and you'll begin to grow. Thats the theory anyway...but I'm just getting started with this, so I can't claim if it's true or not yet.

For carbs, I'd eat sweet potatoes, squash, and lots of other veggies. I also eat quinoa, but I don't think thats considered paleo. Just make sure you stay away from any wheat products.

For fats, lots of eggs, preferably true free range/pasteured eggs from a farmers market, which are much healthier than grocery store eggs.

Also, organic coconut oil is one of the best, and healthiest sources of fat. Your body will use it as energy, instead of carbohydrates.

Butter is great too, but try to get grass fed butter, which is much healthier. Look for Kerry Gold brand, or Organic Valley Pasteur Butter...these are the only two brands you'll find at the grocery store which are grass fed, and full of the healthiest fats.

And of course eat lots of beef, the fatter the cut, the better. Rib Eye steaks are perfect...

I have been high-raw paleo (or something similar to it, basically a high raw diet of fruits, veggies, greens, and a little meat and eggs) for about 5 months now, and I know what you mean because I'm tiny and it's been very hard to gain weight on this diet for me as well.

Carbs bloat you up and make you look bigger. This diet reduces bloat and makes you firm and tone, especially if you work out. That's a good thing, but I've found if I want to gain a little weight I just load up on the calorie rich foods like avocado, coconut oil, raw walnuts, cashews....etc.

It takes a bit of time but I've found I can gain weight if I really work at it. That said, I'm learning to like my thinner, healthier, body.

So say someone who eats 3k calories, yet only needs 2k calories were to do this for a month, they wouldn't put on weight due to insulin resistance? Do their bodies just decide to break down the food and just somehow manage to excrete it? Where does the energy go when they have digested it? (as obviously the food doesn't just come out whole at the other end, so it must of been broken down).

As far as I can think of, the only time you won't ever be able to put on weight is when your a type 1 diabetic.

@ben90 exactly. But taubes claims you wont eat under what your body will use. And not over what your body will use. And that you get fat , and because you get fat (which is growth) you start eating more. Not the other way around. But this is partly false.

The problem with calories in and calories out is that you use less energy when you have a calorie defecit. You cant keep expendure fixed while cutting calories. But this is weight loss people! We are talking about weight gain. If you eat more than you use you will gain weight. Thats always true. So the only way this wouldnt work is if you start using a lot more energy. But this isnt the case. At least not till a certain point. Thats taubes mistake. Overeating will get you fat. Its only not so easily calculated how much because energy levels might go up or down.

thanks for all the replies guys!! I think for now I will just see how it goes and monitor my weight, without changing anything.

on a side note, the search engine on this site is SO STUPID...I didn't want to search through holistics to find this thread so I searched "how not to lose weight on paleo" and it came up with no results. headdesk.

search engine isnt stupid. You can select sub forums. You can also select to only search for title. And so on. Works very well.

Switching to a paleo diet will cause an initial weight loss despite eating at maintenance or above calorie levels. This is caused by glycogen depletion in the body: glycogen holds water (if I remember correctly 1g of glycogen holds 3g of water) and as it is lost a modest amount of water weight will be lost with it. If you're having a hard time consuming an adequate number of calories, try consuming more fats (they have more calories per gram). Nuts, peanuts, coconut oil, butter, and olive oil will all work well.

And as for people who are saying weight gain/loss is not controlled by net calorie intake, sorry but you're wrong. The mechanisms involved in fat loss, fat gain, and muscle gain have been well known for decades now and have been time and time again supported by properly done, peer reviewed studies. I would link to an article that comprehensively discusses the issue but of course this website seems to forbid that. (google "bodyrecomposition + metabolic rate overview")

I'm not dismissing the benefits of low carbohydrate diets. The fact is when most people are put on a low carbohydrate diet they tend to reduce calories without explicitly intending to. This makes sense if you think about it, as people are less likely to binge on veggies and meat than they are on pasta and cake.

Edited by OneHornedMoose

@one He prob doesnt care about weight. He just means his figure with that. Loosing weight like that wont make him more skinny or something like that. It wont make him loose fat either.

Did anyone claim that weight gain/loss in controlled by net calorie intake? As far as I know nobody did. You cant gain weight without eating more calories than you expand. Thats impossible. I think we all agree on this (matter and energy doesnt just poof into existence). So what you need to do is do the right things to gain weight. (Exercise etc.) And then make sure you have enough calorie intake and enough nutrients to be able to use this possible weight gain. (if you body doesnt give you enough hunger to eat enough).

ps. you can just put a link in your post. Since when is that forbidden?

pss. Im not saying you cant gain muscle on a calorie defecit. You might be able to burn of some excess fat for it. But you cant maintain that forever.

As a fellow skinny chick gone Paleo, here are some things I'd like to emphasize:

MAKE SURE TO EAT CARBS (100-150g/day if not more...still trying to figure this out). I don't understand why there is so much carb hate in the Paleo community. Low-carb dieting is often detrimental to health over the long term, as carbs are needed for production of the active thyroid hormone T3 which is responsible for several important bodily functions. Going low carb for too long, ESPECIALLY if you're underweight, can mess up your metabolism something awful, leading to slowed digestion, gut infections, fatigue, low body temperature and other assorted nasties...

I'd suggest eating white and/or sweet potatoes loaded with butter alongside your veggies and meat. Whole food carbs won't hurt you.

Also, don't eat just muscle meat- gelatin-rich bone broth is equally important. Chowing down on ribeyes all the time without consuming broth may cause issues, and is something many Paleo peeps do without realizing it. (see: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/2011/0...oser-look.html). Too much protein can kill your appetite, too.

The reason I am mentioning this is because I was underweight when I went on strict Paleo (August 2010-March 2011), did low carb due to suspected gut dysbiosis issues and weird carb fear from Paleo forums, and got -sick.- To be fair, I was hypothyroid before going Paleo and I did actually gain some weight from the switch, but that was more related to gluten issues than anything. My health deteriorated without sufficient carbs, and my breath and B.O. STANK.

YMMV, but I think the best thing to do as far as Paleo goes is avoid wheat and processed foods, eat whole foods with sufficient carbs, and see how your body reacts to that before cutting everything else out.

Edited by Q_P

As a fellow skinny chick gone Paleo, here are some things I'd like to emphasize:

MAKE SURE TO EAT CARBS (100-150g/day if not more...still trying to figure this out). I don't understand why there is so much carb hate in the Paleo community. Low-carb dieting is often detrimental to health over the long term, as carbs are needed for production of the active thyroid hormone T3 which is responsible for several important bodily functions. Going low carb for too long, ESPECIALLY if you're underweight, can mess up your metabolism something awful, leading to slowed digestion, gut infections, fatigue, low body temperature and other assorted nasties...

I'd suggest eating white and/or sweet potatoes loaded with butter alongside your veggies and meat. Whole food carbs won't hurt you.

Also, don't eat just muscle meat- gelatin-rich bone broth is equally important. Chowing down on ribeyes all the time without consuming broth may cause issues, and is something many Paleo peeps do without realizing it. (see: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/2011/0...oser-look.html). Too much protein can kill your appetite, too.

The reason I am mentioning this is because I was underweight when I went on strict Paleo (August 2010-March 2011), did low carb due to suspected gut dysbiosis issues and weird carb fear from Paleo forums, and got -sick.- To be fair, I was hypothyroid before going Paleo and I did actually gain some weight from the switch, but that was more related to gluten issues than anything. My health deteriorated without sufficient carbs, and my breath and B.O. STANK.

YMMV, but I think the best thing to do as far as Paleo goes is avoid wheat and processed foods, eat whole foods with sufficient carbs, and see how your body reacts to that before cutting everything else out.

thanks for the tips Q_P! Did your acne improve while on paleo? and are you eating a regular diet now?

If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple, especially when you are going to be on a structured diet that eliminates garbage food.

The biggest mistake people make is that they never take any time to weigh/measure their food and then input it into a calculator like fitday or the like. Unless a diet is really low in calories, it is very difficult to really know how much you are eating in regards to calories and macros. Take a month and weigh your food and log it so you have an idea what you are really eating. Most people, when they do this, are very surprised at how little or much they are eating. As you measure more, you start to learn more about the contents of food which will allow you to estimate better in the future without measuring. And really, it takes like 10 minutes a day.

I'm a rocking red head too and have just started Paleo. Please keep us updated on how you are going!

yay for redheads! :)

update: I haven't looked in the mirror for the past 3 days just to get my mind off my skin so when I did today I was a little surprised...all my forehead whiteheads have rushed back but that's due to not keeping up with my flaxseed oil. I had a couple flat-ish, painful hairline pimples last week that are way down and not painful. I have a chin pimple that seems to be taking forever to heal. I only have 2 new pimples, one just below my cheekbone (which is a rare place for me) and near the corner of my mouth. I haven't used anything but water for at least a week (not even sunscreen...bad me)

I need to cut down on my cheats, I have one at least every day :/ (not big but still). I am going to cook up a big pot of paleo food and freeze it for lunches and stuff, because my biggest tempations are when paleo food is not avaliable and I'm hungry or my mom packs my lunch :P

oh also my dad is starting with this me so it's going to be nice to have some support :)

awesome websites:

http://cavemanforum.com/

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-recipes/