Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreaseFace

My skin is frustrating to deal with...

My acne has never been terribly bad, but since the beginning of last fall its been a pain in the ass trying to find a cleanser and moisturizer that works for me. I know a lot of people are saying "oh its just winter", but its almost May now and my skin is still dry and irritated. My skin has never been like this, its usually been easy to regulate and all products used to not irritate me. I've tried a ton of cleansers. Cetaphil, oil cleansing method, etc. Soap bars are especially drying. I've tried organic olive oil soap and shea butter soaps. Moisturizers are especially hard. I've tried a ton of stuff. Jojoba oil broke me out and its hard trying to find a moisturizer that doesn't make me oily later in the day or leave me with dry spots and blotchy skin. I want to see a dermatologist to get some general insight on what I need to do because it doesn't look like conventional products are helping me. Not even organic products. My skin is blotchy, dry, oily, and sensitive and I believe this is whats causing my minor acne. Maybe I have some kind of medical condition? Should I see a derm?

Edited by GreaseFace

Go ahead and see a derm! There wouldn't be any harm in it. Truth is, this could be a whole bunch of different stuff, ranging from your natural skin, an allergic reaction, or some underlying health problem (especially if its body-wide dry skin). If you ever have persistent skin problems or especially if it's causing your self-esteem to plummet, talking with a dermatologist could be beneficial.

Go ahead and see a derm! There wouldn't be any harm in it. Truth is, this could be a whole bunch of different stuff, ranging from your natural skin, an allergic reaction, or some underlying health problem (especially if its body-wide dry skin). If you ever have persistent skin problems or especially if it's causing your self-esteem to plummet, talking with a dermatologist could be beneficial.

Yeah I feel like if my skin was balanced I would have more self esteem. And the skin problem seems to be persistent. I don't want stuff prescribed to me for acne because most of the medicines have side effects and my acne is not even that bad. I just have a lot of white heads and maybe two inflamed pimples that come and go. I just want something that will help my overall skin health. And it is also affecting my body too.

DO NOT see a derm. Let me let you in on a little secret: I have not washed my face (even with water) for two weeks and it looks better than it did when I was everyday with water. My confidence is a lot higher too! It's so nice knowing that my face does a better job on its own and that it will all pass soon enough doing this. It's just incredible how fast things heal and the tone the skin regains when left alone.

I originally did this to stop that tightness feeling I had around my chin/irritated area from abusing it over the years and it is working! The first week was kind of a little purgation phase where I got whiteheads in areas I hadn't seen in months, but now all that has passed. I plan to continue this for however long it takes.

Basically I learned that if you keep treating it, your skin is going to keep reacting. If left alone it will equalize eventually and regain all that you have damaged over the years. Moisturizing is pretty much all you need. Everything else is going to damage it.

Why not just do this for 6 months and act as though you are taking accutane(ie.your face is supposed to keep breaking out for months while on it). It's better than wasting money, lots of time, and patients/frustration on products for months that just end up making it worse and leaving you on an emotional roller coaster ride.

Edited by floatingrhythm

I'd go ahead and see a derm. If you acne isn't all that bad I would stay away fom too many poducts as they could make things wose but he can definately help you out with a god cleanser and moistizer for sure. It sounds like a simple regimen is what you need and a derm can hekp you with that.

DO NOT see a derm. Let me let you in on a little secret: I have not washed my face (even with water) for two weeks and it looks better than it did when I was everyday with water. My confidence is a lot higher too! It's so nice knowing that my face does a better job on its own and that it will all pass soon enough doing this. It's just incredible how fast things heal and the tone the skin regains when left alone.

I originally did this to stop that tightness feeling I had around my chin/irritated area from abusing it over the years and it is working! The first week was kind of a little purgation phase where I got whiteheads in areas I hadn't seen in months, but now all that has passed. I plan to continue this for however long it takes.

Basically I learned that if you keep treating it, your skin is going to keep reacting. If left alone it will equalize eventually and regain all that you have damaged over the years. Moisturizing is pretty much all you need. Everything else is going to damage it.

Why not just do this for 6 months and act as though you are taking accutane(ie.your face is supposed to keep breaking out for months while on it). It's better than wasting money, lots of time, and patients/frustration on products for months that just end up making it worse and leaving you on an emotional roller coaster ride.

This isn't very good advice. For a long time I didn't do anything except wash for a few seconds with castile soap and use lotion.

My acne got so bad after a few months of this that I decided to start looking at products.

I'm all for going natural, hell I have a closet filled with enough healthy herbs and potions you'd think i was a wizard.

However the root cause of the acne is different for pretty much everyone, and what works for one person may not work for the next.

If your skin is very easily irritated then maybe putting nothing on it will help.

However, if your body is a toxic waste dump and you stop controlling the acne on your face then you could be in for a real unhappy experience.

I'd say go see a nutritionist or ask your general doctor for a full workup and try to pin-point any deficiencies.

Next go to an allergist and find what you are allergic to and avoid it.

Finally, go see a derm but don't necessarily accept what they say.

You were still treating it. Even water is drying to already irritated skin. You can still wash your body, just not face. Trust me I have read enough on people who got clear using water only to nothing at all - some even while they are supposedly going through puberty! I am just sharing that not washing at all in my case is better than using only water. I used water for months too so I am very much able to tell the difference now. This method from what I have read works faster for those who did not mess with their skin as much with products. For those that did, it will take 6 months to a 1 year.

PS Cystic in the teens has been cleared doing this in around 4 months. Look up user: alexalmighty .

"Healing acne or Rosacea is not a quick fix. But imagine waking up in the morning and seeing your skin less red, the pimples healing more quickly and without deep scaring - Your skin is no longer a confused mixture of excessive oiliness and dryness. That is when you know your skin is healing. The body will show you that it can change. Typically, clients experience a similar healing pattern. Tightness is the first symptom to change. Then oiliness, and eventually the rate of infection and the length of time an infection will last. Reduction in redness can also be seen within a few months, particularly in the morning before you become active in the day. Eventually, pores will become smaller, (regular extraction by a professional esthetician can speed that process) scarring heals, and normal color returns. You will feel at peace with your skin."

http://www.europeanfacials.com/euro_acne.html

I have also been looking at hundreds of pics of homeless people over the week to convince me to keep pushing on (haha) and they all have dirt on their face and really greasy hair, yet nice clear skin despite them sleeping on the ground and never shaving - no patchy, dead skin. The most telling was a picture I saw of a man with half of his arms missing (no hands or forearms) who was in a wheel chair with clear skin and a big beard. It will clear up one way or another. Just have to let it be for a while and remember if you at least want the skin you had prior to using that BP and starting a routine then this is the quickest way to heal the skin back up. That to me is all that I am aiming for at the moment. A complete clearing would just be a bonus :D As I have said though in the past, I never had it bad. It became very ongoing and consistent once I started treating it night and day. Other than that my skin would have a few a week and they would clear up fast without treating them. I want that back at least and I can feel/see it coming.

Edited by floatingrhythm

I have tried water only, but all it seems to do is dry my face out even more. Plus it makes my skin look blotchy. Its not like I'm washing it with hot water I'm washing with luke warm water.