Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well now my face is full of Nodular and cystic combine.. i was wondering should i go on acctane now? i mean i can't even focus on anything.. not school or anything.. i already stay at home.. everysingle weekend i'm too scare to go out now...

I had pretty awful nodular and cystic acne for quite some time. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 22 and female, so this is my story:

I dealt with big painful swollen red lumps all over my face that would crop up during 'that time of month' and by the time they had begun to heal, new ones would pop up.

I went to my dermatologist and asked about accutane. She said no way. She knew my acne was severe, but she didn't want to risk my internal health unless she knew it was absolutely necessary.

This was back in the beginning of march.

I had been perscribed Acanya gel and Atralin Gel, as well as an internal antibiotic, Minocycline, taken twice daily morning and night.

Acanya is a Benzoyl Peroxide/Clindamycin combination gel, which dries out the pimples you already have and in addition to that, has a topical antibiotic to prevent any further cysts from appearing. This is applied 1x in the morning.

At night, I apply Atralin, which is a retinoid cream. It is essentially the exact same thing as Accutane, only milder, and in gel form instead of pill form. It sloughs off dead skin as you sleep, and exfoliates without you having to scrub the heck out of your face. You should wash this off every morning.

As far as facial washes, I don't use anything with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid in it. Instead, I use a wash called CeraVe, which has hyaluronic acid in it. It is incredibly mild, and what it does is it restores the pH level of your skin to normal, and it leaves it so soft and smooth and not flaky or tight at all.

CeraVe is made by the same company that manufactures Acanya, so they should be used in conjunction. CeraVe also makes some wonderful moisturizers that you could use as well. :)

Definitely find a good derm and ask them about this regimen. If you are perscribed Acanya and Atralin together, you can also get a discount off of your perscription costs.

OH.. I should also mention, so far, I've been COMPLETELY CLEAR. No red marks, no cysts or nodules, NOTHING. I've been perfectly clear for about a month now, and around this time of month, I usually experience horrific breakouts. You should ask your derm!

Edited by jabsco

Well i'm 16 and i don't think i'm that SERVER but it hurts way too much and disturb me from work and everything.. If i'm going to my personal doctor.. what should i ask him and why isn't accutane a good idea?

Well i'm 16 and i don't think i'm that SERVER but it hurts way too much and disturb me from work and everything.. If i'm going to my personal doctor.. what should i ask him and why isn't accutane a good idea?

Its tough to recommend without seeing your acne, Accutane is great and it is the best way to get rid of acne - but it also is the most taxing on your body. Make sure you have tried a sufficient amount of other options first. Using Accutane when you don't need it is like bringing a Nuclear bomb to a knife fight (even when you win, you still lose)

gl

I have few pic in the personal regimen section. Those pic give you a basic of how bad my acne ares and adding cystic and nodular around the cheeks and jawline should you give an idea..

I have few pic in the personal regimen section. Those pic give you a basic of how bad my acne ares and adding cystic and nodular around the cheeks and jawline should you give an idea..

after seeing your pictures I would think you qualify for Accutane, definitely consult with your doctor. It could do wonders for you. If you want, tell me your routine and I can offer you some advise on how to tweak it in the mean time.

Edited by Acne Security

You should NEVER go on Accutane without spending a lot of time researching it first. It can cause you to stop growing, damage your liver, irritable bowel syndrome, hair loss, dry skin, dry eyes, etc etc. In my opinion don't go on it, I was offered, refused, and went fully holistic. My face is now 95% clear, I'm healthier, and am helping my body overall, rather than harming it.

Yes, this is just my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree. If you'd rather go the healthy alternative www.thelovevitamin.com is a website dedicated to it, started by an acne.org user. Her transformation was amazing.

crusting of skin

difficulty in wearing contact lenses (may continue after treatment is stopped)

dryness of eyes (may continue after treatment is stopped)

dryness or itching of skin

dryness of mouth or nose

headache (mild)

increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight

peeling of skin on palms of hands or soles of feet

stomach upset

thinning of hair (may continue after treatment is stopped)

unusual tiredness

abdominal or stomach pain (severe)

attempts at suicide or thoughts of suicide (usually stops after medication is stopped)

back pain

bleeding or inflammation of gums

blurred vision or other changes in vision

bone or joint pain

burning, redness, itching, or other signs of eye inflammation

changes in behaviour

decreased vision after sunset or before sunrise (sudden or may continue after medication is stopped)

depression

diarrhea (severe)

difficulty in moving

nosebleeds

headache (severe or continuing)

nausea and vomiting

pain or tenderness of eyes

pain, tenderness, or stiffness in muscles (long-term treatment)

rectal bleeding

scaling, redness, burning, pain, or other signs of inflammation of lips

skin infection or rash

yellow eyes or skin

hairloss, liver damage, high triglycerdies

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Crohn's Disease

Ulcerative Colitis

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Depression

Erectile dysfunction (difficulty in maintaining erection)

Violent behavior/aggression

Psychosis (seeing or hearing things that are not real)

Suicidal ideation (rare)

Suicide attempts

Hearing impairment

Pseudotumor cerebri (swelling pressure in the brain)

Osteopenia/osteoporosis (loss in bone mass and strength/weak and fragile bones)

Hepatotoxicity (liver damage)

Anaphylaxis (rapid and deadly allergic reaction)

Allergic vasculitis (inflammation and damage to blood vessels)

Major birth defects

Cataracts/corneal opacities (can cause a decrease in vision and lead to eventual blindness)

Premature epiphyseal closure (short stature)

Neutropenia (low white blood cell count, which makes the body vulnerable to bacterial and fungal infections)

Agranulocytosis (a serious condition in which white blood cells decrease in number or disappear altogether) (rare)

Rhabdomyolysis (potentially fatal disease that destroys skeletal muscle) (rare)

Inflammatory bowel disease (inflammation of the intestine and resulting in abdominal cramping and persistent diarrhea)

Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas, an organ important in digestion)

Vascular thrombosis (heart attack)

Stroke

Seizures

There may be some duplicates, posted info from a few sites.

Edited by capslocked

Wow. There is a lot of bad things, but it actually helped a lot of people and i do have REALLY HARSH acne.. cystic and nodular... do you guys think i should go for it?

Wow. There is a lot of bad things, but it actually helped a lot of people and i do have REALLY HARSH acne.. cystic and nodular... do you guys think i should go for it?

Your going to have people who had negative experiences with it trashing it, and people who had positive experiences talking it up - I would talk to your doctor and/or psychiatrist about it, They will have the best idea as to weather or not its right for you.

Edited by Acne Security

It's really up to whether or not you are willing to risk experiencing some of these side effects. I've known people who have gone on accutane and after they stopped treatment, their acne returned. Ultimately, it just doesn't work for everyone. Still willing to risk the side effects when you can't know whether or not it will even help? Personally I believe more often than not, acne is diet-related and you just have to do trial and error with what you're eating and/or the nutrients you may not be getting enough of. Remember - pharmaceuticals generally just mask the problem. They "cure" your symptoms - not the actual cause of your acne.

There have been some good points made on this thread. Please go to the accutane thread. Sometimes repeat courses of accutane are required to totally arrest your acne.

I recommend that if a physician determines that you are a candidate that you go on accutane. It's the one medication with a proven track record (about 85% effective). As far as side effects go, remember that you will be monitored during your course of treatment. For the majority of people the most common side effect is the drying of the lips.

Yes, in one sense Cates is correct it treats the symptoms and not the cause, but nobody really knows what causes acne. In a perfect world there would be a cure.

Your best bet is to go see a good dermatologist.

Unfortunately there are a small group of people that I refer to as 'tane bashers because they were unsuccessful or experienced severe side effects. Kindly remember that they have an agenda based on the tragedy of their failure with accutane as a treatment protocol. The simple fact is that tens of thousands of people take accutane every day with good results and minimal side effects. They don't bother to post to these forums because they found something that works and can move on with their lives.

Joe Zit

well if your acne affects your quality of life like it did for me than definatly go on it cuz i know how you feel.Im 17, male, and cant focus on school or anything too... :cry: If you want to live with it until the end of puberty than just ride it out. But if you want it clear in 4-8 months(depends on your dose,severity of acne) than go on accutane. Ive been on it for 6months and i probably have way worse acne than you(upper back,shoulders, and chest) and im clearing beautifuly. Only side effect ive had is chapped lips... yea thats it. Its really a GODSEND for acne. all the MAJOR side effects are way less than 1% so you do take a chance but if your acne affects your daily life like it did for me. Then accutane is your best choice.

Edited by Acnesucks33

I would definitely go see a dermatologist since the acne is affecting your quality of life. They may some ideas they want to try first that would help other than accutane or they may suggest accutane. The most common side effect is dry skin and lips. The more serious, scary side effects are quite rare. A low glycemic dairy free diet can help improve the severity of acne for some people but I don't think it's necessarily a cure all for everyone.

It hurts and it disturb so much... i'll ask my doctor to prescribe me accutane. If i get other side affect other than lip dried what can i do?

It depends on the side effect. Something like dry skin you can moisturize, joint pain tough out, liver damage you're stuck with. Hairloss you can wait out, and so on.

Many of the minor ones will fade with time, the severe ones often stay.

Yes, in one sense Cates is correct it treats the symptoms and not the cause, but nobody really knows what causes acne. In a perfect world there would be a cure.

I just wanted to make the comment that everyone is different. I don't believe there is an all-around "cure" for acne. The consequence or end result is that our skin reacts by developing these cysts, but there could be many different causes, many different pathways to that result - due to genetic and metabolic differences in how our bodies process what we take in, etc.

I believe people fall into different categories of what is the cause of their acne: hormonal imbalances, nutrient deficiencies, xenobiotics (those that you eat and those that you come in contact with through the skin - not necessarily "toxins", but anything that our bodies have trouble detoxifying properly), and (much less commonly) poor hygiene.

I never went on accutane because the severity of the possible side effects of the drug is too risky to me. Thank goodness I didn't, because I ended up finding out that my cystic acne was diet related.

How do you know if your acnes is related to your diet though? Right now i'm 5'6 and weight about 160lbs..

It was trial and error for me, which I think is the best way to do it, although it can take a while to be sure (you can make a food log of what you eat and track your acne to see if you find you have any sensitivities to particular foods).

I found out I have an allergy to something in coffee. I started drinking coffee when I was 19, 20 years old when I got into college. That was when I started getting cystic acne... I never had any kind of acne before that, maybe one normal zit once every few months when I was in high school that would go away and heal quickly. I never connected my acne to coffee (since I never really drank a lot of it) until I cut out coffee from my diet completely for 4+ months - I never got a cyst on my face the entire time I cut it out. Then I had some coffee ice cream and within a couple of days I got one. That was the first time I realized it could be the coffee. Then, just to make sure, I cut coffee from my diet again for two more months. No more cysts, no acne. Then I caved and had a good amount of coffee the other day... well I developed two full blown cysts on my chin overnight.

To me, that's enough evidence to say it's coffee (for me). Not everyone who has acne has it because of coffee (obviously) - though I'm sure there are other people out there like me who have a particular allergy to it and react like I do. So I absolutely don't agree that everyone's acne is hormonal. I thought mine was hormonal for a while, but being able to all of a sudden go four months with no new acne cysts (and have my old ones completely go away by themselves) after always having at least 1-5 cysts on my face for the past 5+ years, well I just have no reason to believe it's my hormones anymore.

Ur 19 bro it's called puberty acne. If u were 30 years old than ya it could be the coffee, but ur 19, u must have had just a later puberty.

Ur 19 bro it's called puberty acne. If u were 30 years old than ya it could be the coffee, but ur 19, u must have had just a later puberty.

Yeah, since you're a guy it could be just hormones. Guys tend to go through puberty a lot later than girls... but most guys should be done with puberty by the time they're 18.